• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Wide Receivers Coach

YUENGLING

Travel Squad
10 Year Member
If Lubick leaves there’s a coordinator spot and a Wide Receivers coaching spot open. Does the new offensive coordinator have to coach the wide receivers position like Lubick did? I would really rather someone on staff, familiar with the existing offense, become the OC and hire a wide receivers / special teams coach. Coaching this young receiver group is going to be an important and time consuming job.

If Lubick leaves there’s a coordinator spot and a Wide Receivers coaching spot open. Does the new offensive coordinator have to coach the wide receivers position like Lubick did? I would really rather someone on staff, familiar with the existing offense, become the OC and hire a wide receivers / special teams coach. Coaching this young receiver group is going to be an important and time consuming job.
I don’t think there’s anyone else on the staff who Frost trust to call plays. If there’s an OC out there that is familiar with the offense I would hope Frost would try to bring that coach here. I’m strongly in favor of Frost giving play calling to an OC so he can focus on being head coach. Losing Lubick will derail the current plans, if he decides to take the Montana HC job.

But to your point about wide receivers, I would think Beckton would fit your criteria. And just about any asst coach could be assigned STs lead. I’m with you on that. Someone needs to be responsible for STs success or failure.

I like where your heads at, but as @RedSaidTed mentioned, i'm not sure anyone on staff currently could take that over. Beckton and Verduzco absolutely not (even though Verduzco has OC experience). I think there's not enough symmetry between Austin and Frost, so I don't believe that would work. That leaves Held who has struggled with his RB room since being here. I just don't think we can do it.

If I were Frost, here's my options:
- TEs coach is the special teams coordinator on a ton of teams, can Beckton do it? If not I may start looking around at Sean Snyder, Dan Jackson, they can be full times special teams and your TE coach, since TEs go with OL for blocking drills and WRs for route running.

- I am not a Verduzco fan so this may be a little biased, but I move Verduzco to an analyst and have Frost oversee the QBs like he did with Mariota in Oregon. Then hire a special teams guy that is just special teams, or helps Frost with QBs. However, we all want Frost to give up some playcalling duties to not be spread so thin and be more of a CEO, so i'm not sure how feasible this one is. I think this one is a bit more clunky when you try to work out the specifics.

- Have a current full-time coach be your special teams coordinator like Dawson (who does not want to do it).

I don’t think there’s anyone else on the staff who Frost trust to call plays. If there’s an OC out there that is familiar with the offense I would hope Frost would try to bring that coach here. I’m strongly in favor of Frost giving play calling to an OC so he can focus on being head coach. Losing Lubick will derail the current plans, if he decides to take the Montana HC job.

But to your point about wide receivers, I would think Beckton would fit your criteria. And just about any asst coach could be assigned STs lead. I’m with you on that. Someone needs to be responsible for STs success or failure.
Wide receiver coach is a position I wish we could fill from the outside. I wish our offensive coordinator was also our QB coach. I’m just not sure Lubbick can do that. I don’t think we need a special teams coordinator but someone needs those full time duties. I don’t think we will see any changes with this staff. I’m fine with that but really wish we had a great WR coach.

I like where your heads at, but as @RedSaidTed mentioned, i'm not sure anyone on staff currently could take that over. Beckton and Verduzco absolutely not (even though Verduzco has OC experience). I think there's not enough symmetry between Austin and Frost, so I don't believe that would work. That leaves Held who has struggled with his RB room since being here. I just don't think we can do it.

If I were Frost, here's my options:
- TEs coach is the special teams coordinator on a ton of teams, can Beckton do it? If not I may start looking around at Sean Snyder, Dan Jackson, they can be full times special teams and your TE coach, since TEs go with OL for blocking drills and WRs for route running.

- I am not a Verduzco fan so this may be a little biased, but I move Verduzco to an analyst and have Frost oversee the QBs like he did with Mariota in Oregon. Then hire a special teams guy that is just special teams, or helps Frost with QBs. However, we all want Frost to give up some playcalling duties to not be spread so thin and be more of a CEO, so i'm not sure how feasible this one is. I think this one is a bit more clunky when you try to work out the specifics.

- Have a current full-time coach be your special teams coordinator like Dawson (who does not want to do it).
I coached high school football for a few years and I can tell you there are so many things that go into coaching special teams it’s easy to have mistakes. A full time special teams coach can be seen as a luxury but it can pay dividends.

I coached high school football for a few years and I can tell you there are so many things that go into coaching special teams it’s easy to have mistakes. A full time special teams coach can be seen as a luxury but it can pay dividends.
Wondering how many of the Top teams have a ST coach as opposed to not? No idea but perhaps someone does.

For sure, there's a reason that when we went from 9 assistant coaches to 10 that nearly every team started having special teams coordinators.

Wondering how many of the Top teams have a ST coach as opposed to not? No idea but perhaps someone does.
I already looked it up and did a post on it. Are you asking fully dedicated special teams coach? Or just a full time position coach with the special teams title? As opposed to just an analyst like we had?

The teams we are chasing in our division such as Northwestern, Wisconsin, and Iowa all have full-time special teams coordinators with no other responsibilities (do not coach a position).

The teams we are chasing in the CFP like Ohio State, Alabama, and Clemson all have a position coach like the TEs coach responsible for special teams coordinator.

I just read 57 out of 65 P5 teams (Notre Dame included) have a full-time special teams coach, but unsure how true those numbers are. We would be 1 of the 8 teams that didn't in the entire country. We also are the only team in the B1G that does not have one if I remember correctly.

The blueprint is out there. You need a full-time guy doing it. We were so bad in 2020 i'm shocked we are still trying to do it the same way. But the good news is there quite literally is nowhere to go but up so it will "work better" in 2021.

Last edited:
I already looked it up and did a post on it. Are you asking fully dedicated special teams coach? Or just a full time position coach with the special teams title? As opposed to just an analyst like we had?

The teams we are chasing in our division such as Northwestern, Wisconsin, and Iowa all have full-time special teams coordinators with no other responsibilities (do not coach a position).

The teams we are chasing in the CFP like Ohio State, Alabama, and Clemson all have a position coach like the TEs coach responsible for special teams coordinator.

I just read 57 out of 65 P5 teams (Notre Dame included) have a full-time special teams coach, but unsure how true those numbers are. We would be 1 of the 8 teams that didn't in the entire country. We also are the only team in the B1G that does not have one if I remember correctly.

The blueprint is out there. You need a full-time guy doing it. We were so bad in 2020 i'm shocked we are still trying to do it the same way. But the good news is there quite literally is nowhere to go but up so it will "work better" in 2021.
Thanks and that's extremely troubling imo. WTH is Frost thinking as opposed to most P5 programs in the country? This is the kind of thing that really makes me question if SF really knows what he's doing.

Last edited:

Couldn't we stay exactly where we are?

Thanks and that's extremely troubling imo. WTH is Frost thinking as opposed to most P5 programs in the country? This is the kind of thing that really makes me question if SF really knows what he's doing.
That's one of my frustrations. I'm not going to go the "he doesn't know what he's doing" route but the blueprint is freaking there. If you read my "quick write up" post, I went through how bad Iowa destroyed us on special teams, they have a full time ST coordinator with no position responsibilities. In a one score game, field position and turnovers created on special teams matters.

I have zero idea why we are just going the analyst route. The good news is there is nowhere to go but up.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back