• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Wide Receivers Coach

Why do we have technically three linebacker coaches (Chins, Ruud, Dawson)? Why do we waste a spot on just a QB coach? IF Lubick does leave, you have to jettison Verduzco to an analyst at least and bring in an OC that can work with the QB's. Frost can work with the WR's like at Oregon and help with the QB's (chemistry). Then bring Sean Snyder closer to home with an offer he cannot refuse. I think being closer to his father would go a long way if the title and money was right.
I like the way you’re thinking.

I guess that's my biggest gripe. Having a separate OC, a separate QB coach, a separate TE coach and then the HC is the offensive genius to boot. If the offense was humming by now and Verdu seemed to be bringing some major value in development, it would be fine. Just seems like the juice isn't worth the squeeze when ST is such a dumpster fire and we have some duplication on the offensive side of the ball.

But maybe nobody will come since the Huskers are struggling so bad? I don't know. Just another place where Frost kind of painted himself into a corner and now he's committed/stuck.
Agree, I would almost call it "overkill" on the offensive side but we aren't seeing the results I would expect. I also always found it interesting that Chinander didn't coach a position group but when looking around it appears some other schools do that too.

I get what people are saying now, Frost and Verduzco basically do the QBs so two coaches for one job and then Beckton is the TE coach with no other responsibilities.

Why do we have technically three linebacker coaches (Chins, Ruud, Dawson)? Why do we waste a spot on just a QB coach? IF Lubick does leave, you have to jettison Verduzco to an analyst at least and bring in an OC that can work with the QB's. Frost can work with the WR's like at Oregon and help with the QB's (chemistry). Then bring Sean Snyder closer to home with an offer he cannot refuse. I think being closer to his father would go a long way if the title and money was right.
I don't mind having an OLB and ILB coach, but to your point, Chinander helps with LBs as well. I also agree that if you have just a QB or just a TE coach, one of those dudes needs to have another responsibility.

To your point, I think Frost can work with QB or WR because he did both at Oregon, so you could bring in an OC and let him coach what he's comfortable with. I just think QB is a little better/easier for the HC to have to do as well because it's the most important position and you have a ton of other responsibilities.

I already looked it up and did a post on it. Are you asking fully dedicated special teams coach? Or just a full time position coach with the special teams title? As opposed to just an analyst like we had?

The teams we are chasing in our division such as Northwestern, Wisconsin, and Iowa all have full-time special teams coordinators with no other responsibilities (do not coach a position).

The teams we are chasing in the CFP like Ohio State, Alabama, and Clemson all have a position coach like the TEs coach responsible for special teams coordinator.

I just read 57 out of 65 P5 teams (Notre Dame included) have a full-time special teams coach, but unsure how true those numbers are. We would be 1 of the 8 teams that didn't in the entire country. We also are the only team in the B1G that does not have one if I remember correctly.

The blueprint is out there. You need a full-time guy doing it. We were so bad in 2020 i'm shocked we are still trying to do it the same way. But the good news is there quite literally is nowhere to go but up so it will "work better" in 2021.

I totally agree with where you're going ***... also, that there's already proven "blueprints" out there that we could/should be following. In Healthcare (and other industries) we subscribe to the methodology of seeking out and following the "best evidence -based practice".

The only point that I don't necessarily agree with you is that there's, "...nowhere to go but up." Depending on the change that HSCF makes (or doesn't make), our ST's performance/results could actually stay where they were; meaning, no improvement and horrible.

But I still hold on to my belief that Frost can/will make changes (though perhaps not all of, or not quite significant enough... yet) to improve results.

That's one of my frustrations. I'm not going to go the "he doesn't know what he's doing" route but the blueprint is freaking there. If you read my "quick write up" post, I went through how bad Iowa destroyed us on special teams, they have a full time ST coordinator with no position responsibilities. In a one score game, field position and turnovers created on special teams matters.

I have zero idea why we are just going the analyst route. The good news is there is nowhere to go but up.
One solution to special teams improvement is finding someone in the state of Nebraska who can kick the football into the end zone consistency. How hard can that be?

One solution to special teams improvement is finding someone in the state of Nebraska who can kick the football into the end zone consistency. How hard can that be?
I have tried it and it harder than it looks lol. But I agree that's a good place to start. Sure do miss Alex Henry

we have two. ILB and OLB Because they are different positions. if we were running a 4-3 we would have a DL and DE coach instead of just DL. Think of OLB as the DE position.

Chinander may help, but he‘s not manning a full position group, nor should he be, IMO.

we have two. ILB and OLB Because they are different positions. if we were running a 4-3 we would have a DL and DE coach instead of just DL. Think of OLB as the DE position.

Chinander may help, but he‘s not manning a full position group, nor should he be, IMO.
So in your analysis, a coordinator shouldn't have an emphasis? Here we are talking about the offensive coordinator having an emphasis, but to you the defensive coordinator shouldn't?

So in your analysis, a coordinator shouldn't have an emphasis? Here we are talking about the offensive coordinator having an emphasis, but to you the defensive coordinator shouldn't?

Not necessarily. Coaches divide up staffs differently. 10 is better than 9. I wish they'd add another so it was 5 a side + an ST or RC role.

Some like to divide safeties and CB’s duties, or LB’s, or DT/DE, or tack TE or QB onto an OC.

I’m not saying one is better than another at this point either. What I’ve read is OLB and ILB are different enough in the 3-4 to warrant different position coaches. Experts can expound...

Despite the NCAA adding a 10th assistant in 2018, (& since Dewitt left last January) - somehow DONU doesn't have a ST assistant coach (only an analyst) - that needs to change.

ST's are very important, frankly had they been even average, the mood around here might even be slightly better - slightly might even be unrealistic as worrying, hand wringing & complaining is what this fan base does best. ;)

& FWIW I tend to believe it will sort itself out when all is said & done.

Last edited:
I like where your heads at, but as @RedSaidTed mentioned, i'm not sure anyone on staff currently could take that over. Beckton and Verduzco absolutely not (even though Verduzco has OC experience). I think there's not enough symmetry between Austin and Frost, so I don't believe that would work. That leaves Held who has struggled with his RB room since being here. I just don't think we can do it.

If I were Frost, here's my options:
- TEs coach is the special teams coordinator on a ton of teams, can Beckton do it? If not I may start looking around at Sean Snyder, Dan Jackson, they can be full times special teams and your TE coach, since TEs go with OL for blocking drills and WRs for route running.

- I am not a Verduzco fan so this may be a little biased, but I move Verduzco to an analyst and have Frost oversee the QBs like he did with Mariota in Oregon. Then hire a special teams guy that is just special teams, or helps Frost with QBs. However, we all want Frost to give up some playcalling duties to not be spread so thin and be more of a CEO, so i'm not sure how feasible this one is. I think this one is a bit more clunky when you try to work out the specifics.

- Have a current full-time coach be your special teams coordinator like Dawson (who does not want to do it).
Interesting choices-of course we are all speculating IF he leaves. How about Beckton at WR coach-ala' at UCF couple of times. (though with coaching changes down there-wonder if there is any chance he goes back home? Any chance at head coach?-I believe he is fiercely loyal to HCSF but could be overstating)
I'm wondering if the Frost going to work individually with AM-but he stated on turnovers, is a plan down the road is to do what you say with the QB room?
Think Snyder would make a change after 1 year? Don't think he has ever coached T.E., has he? Out of many loops but liked the Dan Jackson intro-local guy it looks like. But as far as recruiting nationally not sure of his reach. He seems to have some experience in DB? I look long term and wonder how long Fisher will stay-not for unhappiness but other teams have and will continue to call. (I'm still a little surprised that mullen didn't consider Fisher when he shook up the Gator secondary coaches)

And going one further, with UCF open-do they look at Chins? who in turn may raid the cupboard with former Knights? Though the knights may decide Randy Shannon is a good fit.

Unfortunately, though looks like with no staff changes without need (like one leaving) all of this is a fun and moot conversations. BUT if Lubick does leave-it may offer the opportunity for some shuffling of duties that could bring about some of these interesting possibilities.

I think having Cerni available in 2021 will go a long way.
And maybe if they go the snyder route the correct way-(as you inserted into another thread) Snyder can find the kids and grand kids of one of the Grammaticas? Surely with the lineage there, there is one kicking the ball around somewhere.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back