• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Luke McCaffery Transferring

Come on get off my lawn guy. Our parents said the same thing about us. If a kid wants to move on then let him. Young college kids shouldn't be punished for leaving and trying to better their circumstances. It is up to head coaches and their staffs to build a winning culture where kids don't want to transfer. It's part of the landscape now and the good coaches will figure out how to adapt. It will also work itself out as we are already seeing more kids in the portal than are spots available. They'll either have to go to non power 5 schools, FCS, DII, DIII, or walk-on if they want to play. I think that will make kids think twice.

On another note, I am a coach (not football) and I would much rather see an unhappy kid leave my program than stick around and be a cancer. The old rules made it hard for those kids to move on which can create problems in the locker room.
Perhaps yours said that mine didn't. Was always told to finish what I started. Not sure about the WA comment about get off my lawn as you don't know me. These portal transfers imo will mostly help the rich get even richer as we're seen in places like OSU. We'll just have to wait and see what happens to college football with the musical chair portal running over the next several years

Perhaps yours said that mine didn't. Was always told to finish what I started. Not sure about the WA comment about get off my lawn as you don't know me. These portal transfers imo will mostly help the rich get even richer as we're seen in places like OSU. We'll just have to wait and see what happens to college football with the musical chair portal running over the next several years

I could agree that it's a bit of an overcorrection, but something had to change to give the athletes more power than they had. Hopefully it readjusts back a little.

I think it's as simple as you had Martinez who was a preseason Heisman candidate when McCaffrey signed so you had the luxury of taking an unbelievably athletic QB with an NFL pedigree and you have plenty of time to develop him. Keep in mind, Luke threw 8 passes in 2019 and about 80% of Husker Nation was calling for him to start based on what they saw that I was trying to calm down. It's a little "super power hindsight" for me to say LM just doesn't have it. I think there's tools to work with there, but his development hasn't been what it can.

Smothers they could have been fooled by film, but let's not write him off yet. Again, he didn't get a spring and sometimes you don't look great when you are unsure. I want to see what he looks like when he gets more time with our playbook and more time getting comfortable with the offense.

As i've said all along, if Haarberg can throw and be accurate he has a better shot than people think right now once Martinez leaves. The problem is going to be in practice pretty much all of those guys look good (as we've heard numerous times) so who knows if he will be able to unseat them.
I'm not trying to be a smart arse but I listened to the greatest fans in football spouting off all the great things we saw from LM in 2019. I saw a great runner out of the QB position with limited skills passing the ball. Then when I had the same concerns this year our coach called him the future and others were pumping the abilities of our QB coach because it was abundantly clear that LM had progressed and was making throws he could not make as a Freshman. It was a lonely position to take and good deal of the criticism directed my way was based on his improvement from those 8 passes in 2019-I think I was compared to an entitled child and moron. I'll just say my position isn't so lonely today.

Last edited:
I'm not trying to be a smart arse but I listened to the greatest fans in football spouting off all the great things we saw from LM in 2019. I saw a great runner out of the QB position with limited skills passing the ball. Then when I had the same concerns this year our coach called him the future and others were pumping the abilities of our QB coach because it was abundantly clear that LM had progressed and was making throws he could not make as a Freshman. It was a lonely position to take and good deal of the criticism directed my way was based on his improvement from those 8 passes in 2019-I think I was compared to an entitled child and moron. I'll just say my position isn't so lonely today.
Ya I grew pretty frustrated with the talking points about LM after the 2019 season. He just wasn't ready and didn't have near the playbook down that AM did.

In Scott's defense I believe that he meant "future" as in he was going to be a face like Wan'Dale here, whether that be QB or RB or WR. I don't believe Scott said "future at the QB position" when that statement was made. I could be wrong though.

Absolutely spot on imo. Even this season some posted AM had taken his LAST snap as our starter after the PSU game. I disagreed and said AM was LONG WAYS from being finished as our starter. LM certainly helped in the PSU game but it was CLEARLY won by the defense imo. At this time AM's still our best QB by a long ways imo. Until we see another Husker QB step up and actually show they have better skills AM's going to be the starter at least for the first part of 2021.

Look, one of the “unhappy” offensive players that are apart of this “mass exodus”! The truth is, there isn’t a mass exodus. There is one concerning transfer in Wandale, other than that it is mostly people who want to try their hand at the NFL while they are still in their prime, instead of spending a 6th year in college. I believe there has also been a couple of noncontributors that have decided to look for another opportunity, which is completely normal. The only place I have seen things about Luke transferring are on the message boards where anyone can say anything!

Attachments

• 5AE7CB1A-EA48-4DF0-9EC8-F4959E49838F.jpeg
    5AE7CB1A-EA48-4DF0-9EC8-F4959E49838F.jpeg
    581.8 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
It was a lonely position to take and good deal of the criticism directed my way was based on his improvement from those 8 passes in 2019-I think I was compared to an entitled child and moron. I'll just say my position isn't so lonely today.

I get it but you're overplaying this card just a tad. There are many of us who could see LM's limitations. So not quite John The Baptist in the wilderness :Lol: :)

I get it but you're overplaying this card just a tad. There are many of us who could see LM's limitations. So not quite John The Baptist in the wilderness :Lol: :)
There were sure alot of folks calling for LM but yes the shade thrown my way was mainly 2 posters.

Look, one of the “unhappy” offensive players that are apart of this “mass exodus”! The truth is, there isn’t a mass exodus. There is one concerning transfer in Wandale, other than that it is mostly people who want to try their hand at the NFL while they are still in their prime, instead of spending a 6th year in college. I believe there has also been a couple of noncontributors that have decided to look for another opportunity, which is completely normal. The only place I have seen things about Luke transferring are on the message boards where anyone can say anything!
Why is that not happening on defense but happening on offense? DWilliams, Dismuke, Stille, Honas, they all have the same reasons to go to the NFL as Mills, Stoll, Farniok and all have the same responses from the advisors. Why are we having to worry about the portal for guys on offense but not defense?

Where else would you hear anything about LM transferring? Isn't that where all the talk about WR transferring was happening too?

Why is that not happening on defense but happening on offense? DWilliams, Dismuke, Stille, Honas, they all have the same reasons to go to the NFL as Mills, Stoll, Farniok and all have the same responses from the advisors. Why are we having to worry about the portal for guys on offense but not defense?

Where else would you hear anything about LM transferring? Isn't that where all the talk about WR transferring was happening too?
Something is wrong with the offense, and we all know what the problem is: Mike Riley

:Stirthepot:

Excellent questions. Why the difference between offense and defense? It showed up on the field and it is showing up in what the players are doing after the season.

My hope is that it settles down in a few years when the newness of the easy button wears off.

It puts a ton of pressure on a staff to develop a class, develop the kids once they're on campus and manage their expectations without coddling them. I don't think it's ever going to be like it used to be and some of the empowerment of the athletes is a good thing. Many of the SEC schools used to really abuse kids with their over signing, etc. You really can't abuse a kid now or he's gone. Problem is a kid that age is likely prone to overreact and the slightest little thing might land him in the transfer portal. Sit him a series or two because he's messed up and bam. Get on his backside for screwing up in practice or in classes and bam. Add the kids like Wandale who're likely thinking their chances in the NFL increase if they're playing in another offense and you're going to get more and more of it.

I really don't envy what college staffs are up against these days.
I'll be honest. I envy their money.

Excellent questions. Why the difference between offense and defense? It showed up on the field and it is showing up in what the players are doing after the season.
I certainly wouldn't discount the performance of each unit in 2020 having an impact on decisions. But, it could also be that Stoll and Farniok see a youth movement at their positions so better to get out now than come back and risk being overtaken by a younger player. I would bet each defensive returner feels pretty good about locking down a starting position. Not sure Stoll and Farniok could be that confident.

As for Mills, who knows, but after 3 different college experiences and the prospect of not getting a 1,000yd season, maybe he just didn't think the additional year of "mileage" was worth it and time to go for his ultimate dream.

I'm sure for each, there were multiple factors and not just one that led to them staying or going.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back