• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Luke McCaffery Transferring

Ok, but there are other, better options than bringing in a type of QB that is not a fit in the offense Frost runs.
That’s going to require at least 2 or three more years, and I don’t think Scott has that kind of time. Which leads me back to the original statement, get a Pro Style QB that has a little bit of speed (doesn’t have to be anything like LM speed, though that would be great).

That’s going to require at least 2 or three more years, and I don’t think Scott has that kind of time. Which leads me back to the original statement, get a Pro Style QB that has a little bit of speed (doesn’t have to be anything like LM speed, though that would be great).

Putting in a QB that doesn't fit the type of offense Frost runs wouldn't require 2 or 3 years of adjustment? Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you mean by pro style QB.

Since Scott hasn't that kind of time.
And good coaches do the opposite of what you are saying, they don't go get someone else, who would be the odd man out in the QB room (Only Pro style QB in a room of running QB's who can throw. PS: what would you do True Husker if in game 2 of 2021 your Pro Style QB rips up his knee), they adjust their system to fit the talent they have.

Scott should be adapting to more: roll out throws, more run heavy game plan, more option, I formation QB under center in short yardage, to maximize the skills of the QB room he has and minimize their deficits.
These changes gives them easier reads, increase the likelihood of man coverage, all of which reduces interception risks: look for one, two guys, not there take off and get what you can, move the chains.

So, now no Pro QB, but best utilization of the skills of all the QBs in the room, including AM because you will need all of them to get through the season (AM is always getting hurt).
Did you see the hits Fields took for OSU? All QBs get wacked, so you need more than one.

GBR

Last edited:
Just seems to me that Frost and Verdu go at it bassackwards. If you take a QB who has really strong passing skills and is a "good enough" runner, then this offense would really hum. You don't need a home run threat at QB. It's great and all, but if he can't throw consistently or deep to save his life . . . you get the mostly-bust-and-sometimes-boom results that we've seen the last 2 years. Just seems like there should be more guys like out there in the dual threat world who are more pass than run, but run pretty well.

Spending too much time trying to take a project with great wheels and not much in the passing skills arena and turn them into unicorns just seems like it's not working. But I guess we'll know in a year or two if we're sunk with the way Frost is doing it. It's either going to work by 2021-2022 or someone else will probably be doing it another way.
Maybe Scott has an affinity for them because that's what Scott was??? ;) He was definitely a heck of a runner, a wizard at running the offense but he was barely competent as a passer. Had the worst throwing motion from a Nebraska QB that wasn't named Taylor Martinez. Was a career 50% passer in an offense that was designed to have open receivers. Lull them to sleep with the bulldozing run game then pop a big play action pass.

The transfer portal is not ruining college football. Huskers losing all the time is making college football less interesting for most of us I think.

If Justin Fields or Joe Burrow transferred to Nebraska I don’t think anyone on the board would say it is ruining college football.

If Burrow didn’t transfer to LSU we would not have seen his historic season last year. If Burrow stayed at Ohio State he may only have seen mop up duty. His transfer certainty helped college football and himself.

The 4 team playoff is also not a bad thing. With 130 teams there should be at least 4 teams, if not more, that deserve a chance to win a championship. A few years back there were 3 undefeated power 5 teams (the year Auburn was left out of title game).

I find it strange that freshman decide to leave before a season begins but to each their own. Nebraska just needs to learn and adapt, which I think it has done. Know the guys you are recruiting and accept the fact guys will transfer out and in.
Clueless post. The transfer portal has made it so when a kid gets mad, upset, he can leave over the dumbest things, w o much penalty at all. You can’t have that. It’s not the NFL. Joe Burrow and Justin fields should have had to sit out for a year before playing. Kids need to make better decisions when choosing a college. A regular kid couldn’t just leave mostly, due to costs of moving alone. Transfers happen, and that’s fine, but the portal has made it a regular occurrence and that isn’t sustainable.

As for the playoffs, the playoffs have made 4-5 teams the granddaddy and everyone else fights for the scraps. No one is wanting to see the same teams every year in the playoffs. It’s tiring and old. Evidence the ratings for these playoffs. I believe they were down significantly this year. Significantly. That should make the power brokers nervous. Think about it, 4 playoff spots for 130 competing teams? Stupid. No other sport is like that. Personally, I wish they’d go back to the old bowl system, when as many as 5-6 teams could win it if things fell right. At least it made most of the bowls meaningful. Now, no one cares. That’s a big problem that will have to be addressed.

If there is a QB who can pass and run really well, he will likely be at Clemson, Alabama, Ohio State or Oklahoma.

Maybe Scott has an affinity for them because that's what Scott was??? ;) He was definitely a heck of a runner, a wizard at running the offense but he was barely competent as a passer. Had the worst throwing motion from a Nebraska QB that wasn't named Taylor Martinez. Was a career 50% passer in an offense that was designed to have open receivers. Lull them to sleep with the bulldozing run game then pop a big play action pass.
What do you mean?! That game saving pass to Davidson against Mizzou was thrown perfectly to Matt. :Biggrin:

What do you mean?! That game saving pass to Davidson against Mizzou was thrown perfectly to Matt. :Biggrin:
In fairness.. the throw to Wiggins literally hit him in the gut... Frost looked off 3 receivers and fired a
strike to Wiggins.

Last edited:
Clueless post. The transfer portal has made it so when a kid gets mad, upset, he can leave over the dumbest things, w o much penalty at all. You can’t have that. It’s not the NFL. Joe Burrow and Justin fields should have had to sit out for a year before playing. Kids need to make better decisions when choosing a college. A regular kid couldn’t just leave mostly, due to costs of moving alone. Transfers happen, and that’s fine, but the portal has made it a regular occurrence and that isn’t sustainable.

As for the playoffs, the playoffs have made 4-5 teams the granddaddy and everyone else fights for the scraps. No one is wanting to see the same teams every year in the playoffs. It’s tiring and old. Evidence the ratings for these playoffs. I believe they were down significantly this year. Significantly. That should make the power brokers nervous. Think about it, 4 playoff spots for 130 competing teams? Stupid. No other sport is like that. Personally, I wish they’d go back to the old bowl system, when as many as 5-6 teams could win it if things fell right. At least it made most of the bowls meaningful. Now, no one cares. That’s a big problem that will have to be addressed.
Regarding the bolded you must have forgot what it was like to be a college kid. Most of them could make a move for the cost of 4 Glad Garbage bags and a couple tanks of gas to get them to their new destination.

Coaches are professional, players are amateurs. Big difference. These kids get plenty of opportunities the reg student does not get. If someone leaves, there needs to be a penalty. You can’t manage roster turnover like that in college. If leaves schools very vulnerable.

With respect, it's a distinction without a difference. The players are amateurs only because they NCAA says they are. Back when coaches were making a couple hundred grand and there was little TV coverage and no CCGs, you could stand behind the concept of amateurism. When dudes like Shawn Eichorst are making 7 figures, the concept is a total farce.

The kids know it too. That's why the NCAA has relaxed transfer standards. They know the entire foundation of the sport is in grave jeopardy, so if they don't throw the kids a bone, it only increases the odds that the whole system implodes.

Last edited:

Regarding the bolded you must have forgot what it was like to be a college kid. Most of them could make a move for the cost of 4 Glad Garbage bags and a couple tanks of gas to get them to their new destination.
In 1972 there was a place behind Harper dorm where I could fill up my car with gas and get it washed for $3.00. :) (Small car).

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back