• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Luke McCaffery Transferring

How is it that every other D1 coaching staff can seeemingly find kids who can make the basic throws from day 1 . . . but Frost and Verdu seem to stock their QB room with projects?

Haarberg can actually sling it, can't he??? If not, seems we're pretty hosed in the backup department. And Martinez is no great shakes beyond 20 yards.
This is exactly the reason why moving LM to wideout creates an even greater gap between QB1 and QB2.

Scott has too much confidence in Verdu to transform these projects into real QBs. Hell, Martinez was one QB that wasn't a so-called project and have we seen much development from him?

Last edited:

you make a good point, I forget about no fall camp, no real summer work, etc. I'm still not sold on our QB coach but in 2020 everyone should at least get some leeway.
He would be the first one I would look elsewhere with if I was Frost. I think there's a reason we get really fast guys that can't throw all that well. He's an odd duck but he only has to get one guy a year, so far he's been doing that. Just haven't been developing I suppose.

"worse" probably is way wrong term. I mean the kid didn't get a spring, so he's going to be behind the in the playbook. But his throwing is basically just like LM.
That’s what it looked like to me in his film. It seriously may be time for this staff to look at a pro style QB.

Leave LM at QB until we have a clear cut #2 that is better than him. Develop the WRs we recruited to play the position. If we're relying on LM to dramatically improve our receiving corps then we've got much bigger problems

Why do you think a pro style QB would be a good fit in the offense Frost has been running his entire career?
Because it’s increasingly clear that what we are doing is not working. The definition of insanity is consistently repeating the same behavior while expecting a different outcome. Without downfield throwing, not only do we lose the games, we lose WR recruits because of it. While that may not be the full reason Wandale left, I’m sure it contributed. And I would bet it’s on our other receivers minds.

Edit: I agree with @ShortSideOption on the run game with QBs winning some games, but wouldn’t throwing have more of an impact? If we just stick with the run, do we really think that will lead to more wins? It feels like we are burning the candle at both ends losing games and losing recruits as well.

Last edited:
Because it’s increasingly clear that what we are doing is not working. The definition of insanity is consistently repeating the same behavior while expecting a different outcome. Without downfield throwing, not only do we lose the games, we lose WR recruits because of it. While that may not be the full reason Wandale left, I’m sure it contributed. And I would bet it’s on our other receivers minds.

Ok, but there are other, better options than bringing in a type of QB that is not a fit in the offense Frost runs.

Why do you think a pro style QB would be a good fit in the offense Frost has been running his entire career?

Just seems to me that Frost and Verdu go at it bassackwards. If you take a QB who has really strong passing skills and is a "good enough" runner, then this offense would really hum. You don't need a home run threat at QB. It's great and all, but if he can't throw consistently or deep to save his life . . . you get the mostly-bust-and-sometimes-boom results that we've seen the last 2 years. Just seems like there should be more guys like out there in the dual threat world who are more pass than run, but run pretty well.

Spending too much time trying to take a project with great wheels and not much in the passing skills arena and turn them into unicorns just seems like it's not working. But I guess we'll know in a year or two if we're sunk with the way Frost is doing it. It's either going to work by 2021-2022 or someone else will probably be doing it another way.

Just seems to me that Frost and Verdu go at it bassackwards. If you take a QB who has really strong passing skills and is a "good enough" runner, then this offense would really hum. You don't need a home run threat at QB. It's great and all, but if he can't throw consistently or deep to save his life . . . you get the mostly-bust-and-sometimes-boom results that we've seen the last 2 years. Just seems like there should be more guys like out there in the dual threat world who are more pass than run, but run pretty well.

Spending too much time trying to take a project with great wheels and not much in the passing skills arena and turn them into unicorns just seems like it's not working. But I guess we'll know in a year or two if we're sunk with the way Frost is doing it. It's either going to work by 2021-2022 or someone else will probably be doing it another way.

What you're saying is different than saying they should bring in a pro style QB. They will always want and need a mobile QB for this offense. I tend to agree with you that getting someone who is a better passer than runner is preferable over the opposite.

Exactly my thought.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back