• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Luke McCaffery Transferring

LM has been given a "real shot" as QB in practice and in a limited role in games. He hasn't looked all that promising.
LM came to Nebraska as a project. Everyone knew that, even Luke and Dad. A real shot isn't saying "you're done" when the kid is still technically a Freshman.

I agree...he probably will never be a legit P5 QB, but Luke would have NEVER come here if he wasn't given the opportunity to grow and develop at the position he's wanted to play. I'd rather have Luke on our roster knowing that even in a year or two, he and his dad realize that playing wideout is his only opportunity to play at the next level. If you tell Luke, shut your mouth and you will play where I tell you to, well, then he is gone and you don't reap the benefits of his athletic ability in the near future....and you create a massive depth issue at quarterback. Scott doesn't benefit at all by forcing his hand in this situation.

Last edited:

Since AM now has 2 years left and decides to use them where does that leave LM? Is Frost going to run off AM should he decide to stay 2 more? LM wants to play QB so does he want to warm the bench next couple of years? I don't think so and with the easy peasy instant portal he can look at other options. If he's presented with a real opportunity to start as QB somewhere else I tend to think he'll transfer.
That could have be what sparked this, I really don't know. Everyone needs to remember that LM came in with only one year as a QB and committing to a school that had a preseason Heisman candidate that was only a sophomore. He was sold on development for at least 2 years then fight for the job. Him starting in 2020 was actually ahead of schedule.

I think what is being wrestled with is does he move to Duck-R to help the team and get on the field, but that hinders his development a bit at QB? Remember, whenever Verudzco or Frost was asked about that they would shut it down pretty quick. But I also wonder if this season showed LM how far away he is?

Sorry to answer your post with more questions. But I truly don't know on the LM thing like I did on Wan'Dale.

That could have be what sparked this, I really don't know. Everyone needs to remember that LM came in with only one year as a QB and committing to a school that had a preseason Heisman candidate that was only a sophomore. He was sold on development for at least 2 years then fight for the job. Him starting in 2020 was actually ahead of schedule.

I think what is being wrestled with is does he move to Duck-R to help the team and get on the field, but that hinders his development a bit at QB? Remember, whenever Verudzco or Frost was asked about that they would shut it down pretty quick. But I also wonder if this season showed LM how far away he is?

Sorry to answer your post with more questions. But I truly don't know on the LM thing like I did on Wan'Dale.
I think you have to also throw in that Covid wiped out spring ball this year, so no chance for "development" to occur in 2020 except being thrown into the fire of playing.
Thus totally unfair to judge his QB abilities based on the sample size available.

GBR

With his families connections I'm pretty sure he can shop around without even entering the portal? Hence all the rumors, etc on what he's going to do. I just don't believe he's willing to change postion until he's (or his family) fully convinced that he's better suited to another position.

Simply know way of knowing until or unless he actually enters the portal.

Whatever happens, I hope Frost is making decisions based on what is best for the team in order to win games and to get out of the ditch that the program is stuck in. He seems to get himself wedged between a rock and a hard place with public statements and by making promises that he might not ultimately be able to keep. First he had Martinez maybe being "the best QB who has ever played at NU" (or words to that effect) and then he trotted out the "There's no doubt in my mind Luke McCaffrey's the future around here (at QB)" statement.

Coaches have to make tough decisions and if he's going to lock LM into the heir apparent role at QB knowing he struggles with the passing game pretty heavily at this level out of fear that he'll lose the player . . . is that really the best thing? Ultimately, that's on Frost, but I worry that he sometimes puts to much weight on the feelings part of the equation.

Seems like the best use of LM given where we are (and where HE is) would be to get him on the field as a WR and RB and get him steady reps at QB with certain packages every game where he can have the biggest impact and help the team the most. Gets to play some QB and flash his talents all over the place. And then they can rep the hell out of Smothers and Haarberg who I think have the much higher upside in the passing game?

But maybe that wouldn't make LM happy in the end? And if that's the case--and knowing that NU needs to pass the ball and pass it deep with some regularity where LM really struggles--if Frost just keeps trying to hammer that peg into the wrong-shaped hole, then he might be riding a pretty thin stretch of road on his coaching career at NU. It's getting pretty narrow as it is.

I'd much rather LM stay . . . but I really don't think he's the answer/future at full-time starting QB in this league given the glaring weaknesses in his passing. Unless Smothers and Haarberg just can't grasp the offense fast enough--which would be another problem.

With his families connections I'm pretty sure he can shop around without even entering the portal? Hence all the rumors, etc on what he's going to do. I just don't believe he's willing to change postion until he's (or his family) fully convinced that he's better suited to another position.

Simply know way of knowing until or unless he actually enters the portal.
Correct. He was reaching out to Iowa State. His dads school has been thrown around. You can basically talk to anyone anymore pretty easily. Wan'Dale was talking to Kentucky before he even entered the portal.

Whatever happens, I hope Frost is making decisions based on what is best for the team in order to win games and to get out of the ditch that the program is stuck in. He seems to get himself wedged between a rock and a hard place with public statements and by making promises that he might not ultimately be able to keep. First he had Martinez maybe being "the best QB who has ever played at NU" (or words to that effect) and then he trotted out the "There's no doubt in my mind Luke McCaffrey's the future around here (at QB)" statement.

Coaches have to make tough decisions and if he's going to lock LM into the heir apparent role at QB knowing he struggles with the passing game pretty heavily at this level out of fear that he'll lose the player . . . is that really the best thing? Ultimately, that's on Frost, but I worry that he sometimes puts to much weight on the feelings part of the equation.

Seems like the best use of LM given where we are (and where HE is) would be to get him on the field as a WR and RB and get him steady reps at QB with certain packages every game where he can have the biggest impact and help the team the most. Gets to play some QB and flash his talents all over the place. And then they can rep the hell out of Smothers and Haarberg who I think have the much higher upside in the passing game?

But maybe that wouldn't make LM happy in the end? And if that's the case--and knowing that NU needs to pass the ball and pass it deep with some regularity where LM really struggles--if Frost just keeps trying to hammer that peg into the wrong-shaped hole, then he might be riding a pretty thin stretch of road on his coaching career at NU. It's getting pretty narrow as it is.

I'd much rather LM stay . . . but I really don't think he's the answer/future at full-time starting QB in this league given the glaring weaknesses in his passing. Unless Smothers and Haarberg just can't grasp the offense fast enough--which would be another problem.
I think that's where the issue is. Best option in 2021 is to have Luke on the field as much as possible and Duck-R is best spot for that. However, you are moving your backup QB and hindering his development for 2022 and beyond when AM is gone. By many accounts Smothers is further away than McCaffrey, so you are relying on Haarberg to be the man if you make a permanent LM move.

The question is, do you move him to win in 2021 or keep developing him for where you believe he needs a shot at?

I think that's where the issue is. Best option in 2021 is to have Luke on the field as much as possible and Duck-R is best spot for that. However, you are moving your backup QB and hindering his development for 2022 and beyond when AM is gone. By many accounts Smothers is further away than McCaffrey, so you are relying on Haarberg to be the man if you make a permanent LM move.

The question is, do you move him to win in 2021 or keep developing him for where you believe he needs a shot at?

Man . . . I just never imagined the offense would be in this much of a pickle when they snagged Frost.

He needs to figure it out pretty fast.

That question would probably have a different answer in year 1, than it does going into year 4 with 0 winning seasons.

Man . . . I just never imagined the offense would be in this much of a pickle when they snagged Frost.

He needs to figure it out pretty fast.
I agree. And if you're Frost, everyone was calling for LM and found out he wasn't ready. So now if you move him, you are putting a guy "worse" than LM as the backup and crossing your fingers you can develop him better than LM.

That's why he's paid 5 million I suppose.

And there is the problem for both Scott and LM.

If Scott does not win in 2021, it is unlikely that he is around to "develop" or start LM in 2022.
This must be what LM and his family are weighing, loss of development in 2021 by playing and winning versus, waiting and Scott not being here.

A factor that would influence strongly LM remaining in Lincoln would be moving the offense more towards what Dr. Tom ran.
An offense that favors a running QB that can throw (Jerry Gdowski, Turner Gill) rather than a pocket passing QB that can run. LM is the former, not the latter, and would flourish in that form of offense, as would AM, Smothers and Haarberg.

This is a critical spring for the offense since the defense is apparently coming back with a lot of important players, and the offense has the pieces to run the offense I describe, not the offense Scott ran at UCF.

GBR

Last edited:
And there is the problem for both Scott and LM.

If Scott does not win in 2021, it is unlikely that he is around to "develop" or start LM in 2022.
This must be what LM and his family are weighing, loss of development in 2021 by playing and winning versus, waiting and Scott not being here.

A factor that would influence strongly LM remaining in Lincoln would be moving the offense more towards what Dr. Tom ran.
An offense that favors a running QB that can throw (Jerry Gdowski, Turner Gill) rather than a pocket passing QB that can run. LM is the former, not the latter, and would flourish in that form of offense, as would AM, Smothers and Hartberg.

This is a critical spring for the offense since the defense is apparently coming back with a lot of important players, and the offense has the pieces to run the offense I describe, not the offense Scott ran at UCF.

GBR
I think he gets through 2022. But understand your thinking.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back