• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Damian Jackson

"The Naval Special Warfare community is a sea-intensive community. Due to the unique nature of the special warfare mission, Sailors in the elite rating of Naval Special Warfare Operator (SO) should expect to serve back-to-back sea tours prior to assignment ashore. Sailors in this rating can expect their initial back-to-back sea tours to be within the same geographic location, contingent upon the needs of the Navy and NSW."

"About 2,400 Sailors work in the Navy's Special Warfare Operator (SEAL) rating. "

Part of why I made that comment was at one time the community had rates and a designation which I know you know HM1(SEAL). Now it is SO1 (Special Operator) in lieu of a specific rate.

@FBWHEEL Nah, all is well my friend. Not a problem. I had to do a google search to find out as you raised a good point. The Navy calls 'em sailors so either way. Like the Seabee's always refer to themselves as such almost as if they aren't a part of the regular Navy. BTW, Thank you for your service

@ShortSideOption could you give us a little more detail on why this young man couldn't develop into a contributing player in spots on defense? Has the strength, smarts, etc. Any way he might surprise us all? Im personally thinking he does before its all said and done. Wouldnt even be surprised to see him play in the nfl on special teams for a few years. Hes got the build and smarts.

@ShortSideOption could you give us a little more detail on why this young man couldn't develop into a contributing player in spots on defense? Has the strength, smarts, etc. Any way he might surprise us all? Im personally thinking he does before its all said and done. Wouldnt even be surprised to see him play in the nfl on special teams for a few years. Hes got the build and smarts.
First, I want to make sure people don't take this the wrong way. The kid is doing everything our coaches ask of him and more, he's a true leader at his position group and on the team.

However, when he got here we had him at LB. Keep in mind the guy has never played football before coming here. It's really tough to know what the offense is doing in front of you if you've never seen it before. What gap to hit, when to go into coverage, where the guys are typically running, ,etc., all things most of us learned while playing midget football through whatever time, he didn't get that. But he also isn't the fastest guy in the world, so where a lot of people thought he'd do kickoff wedge busting or whatever, you have to get down to the ball to be able to do that. So after his first or second year we moved him to DL to take a lot of the reads out of it for him and since he wasn't that fast get him more in line with that. But the guy can't carry 300 pounds. So we tried working on long snapping with him, where I thought he may have a shot, but that's a position that can obviously be pretty tough as well, not much margin for error. I haven't been to a single practice since the outbreak (obviously) but i've heard we are back to trying him at OLB. I've stated on here before that OLB is the easiest position because you truly have one job, set the edge. There's really not too much involved past that. But it's also the toughest job because just setting the edge can be done improperly. Just go look at the production difference between Luke Gifford who would set the edge then swarm back in to make the tackle as well, to a guy like Alex Davis who would set the edge and that's about it. We lost a ton when LG graduated. If you read the articles on Henrich at OLB, that's basically what Chinander is referencing. A ton of the things he's having to teach guys like Davis, Payne, etc., it's just instinct with Henrich. It's instinct with Domann. It was instinct with Luke Gifford. Tough to have that instinct when you haven't played the game.

Really long paragraph. This dude made a name for himself and he will be a strength coach whenever he chooses that's the route he wants to go. He's made quite the life for himself with some experiences along the way. Hope he gets some PT this year in blowouts.

First, I want to make sure people don't take this the wrong way. The kid is doing everything our coaches ask of him and more, he's a true leader at his position group and on the team.

However, when he got here we had him at LB. Keep in mind the guy has never played football before coming here. It's really tough to know what the offense is doing in front of you if you've never seen it before. What gap to hit, when to go into coverage, where the guys are typically running, ,etc., all things most of us learned while playing midget football through whatever time, he didn't get that. But he also isn't the fastest guy in the world, so where a lot of people thought he'd do kickoff wedge busting or whatever, you have to get down to the ball to be able to do that. So after his first or second year we moved him to DL to take a lot of the reads out of it for him and since he wasn't that fast get him more in line with that. But the guy can't carry 300 pounds. So we tried working on long snapping with him, where I thought he may have a shot, but that's a position that can obviously be pretty tough as well, not much margin for error. I haven't been to a single practice since the outbreak (obviously) but i've heard we are back to trying him at OLB. I've stated on here before that OLB is the easiest position because you truly have one job, set the edge. There's really not too much involved past that. But it's also the toughest job because just setting the edge can be done improperly. Just go look at the production difference between Luke Gifford who would set the edge then swarm back in to make the tackle as well, to a guy like Alex Davis who would set the edge and that's about it. We lost a ton when LG graduated. If you read the articles on Henrich at OLB, that's basically what Chinander is referencing. A ton of the things he's having to teach guys like Davis, Payne, etc., it's just instinct with Henrich. It's instinct with Domann. It was instinct with Luke Gifford. Tough to have that instinct when you haven't played the game.

Really long paragraph. This dude made a name for himself and he will be a strength coach whenever he chooses that's the route he wants to go. He's made quite the life for himself with some experiences along the way. Hope he gets some PT this year in blowouts.
I don’t disagree with what you are saying but he also learned how to be a Marine in 13 weeks. He learned how to keep himself and others alive in high pressure situations. I am not saying this guy is our next all American, I am just saying maybe we shouldn’t just assume he can’t be successful.

Just curious. If he has not advanced beyond what you are saying. Then why give him a Schollie? Lots of walk-ons go 4 years without a Scholarship and they actually contribute on the field.

I don’t disagree with what you are saying but he also learned how to be a Marine in 13 weeks. He learned how to keep himself and others alive in high pressure situations. I am not saying this guy is our next all American, I am just saying maybe we shouldn’t just assume he can’t be successful.
I think there's a massive difference between being a Marine in 13 weeks and becoming a contributor at a Power 5 football program. There's probably 80 kids on every high school team that could go join the armed forces or Marines, there's hopefully 1 that gets to play P5 football. Further, every Marine starts at 18, he wasn't behind the curve.

The comparison or thinking it would translate is a bit silly IMO.

Last edited:
Just curious. If he has not advanced beyond what you are saying. Then why give him a Schollie? Lots of walk-ons go 4 years without a Scholarship and they actually contribute on the field.
He's an upperclassmen. Typically you aren't giving a scholarship to any walk-on unless they have seen some plays on the field or made the 2-deep. Also need to reward a guy that is in lifting with multiple position groups, not just his own.

Perhaps he makes huge contributions in the locker room, in the weight room, in the film room, in the training room. If he can help change culture, and instill some of his tough Operator mindset into his teammates, he's a true force multiplier. By awarding him a scholly, Frost is saying being a great teammate and leader is as important to him as your 40 time.

I think there's a massive difference between being a Marine in 13 weeks and becoming a contributor at a Power 5 football program. There's probably 80 kids on every high school team that could go join the armed forces or Marines, there's hopefully 1 that gets to play P5 football. Further, every Marine starts at 18, he wasn't behind the curve.

The comparison or thinking it would translate is a bit silly IMO.
To think that there are 80 kids willing an able to sign up for the marines is stretch. To find 1 kid at every single high school that can not only make it through basic training as a Marine, but then go through what may be the toughest training in the world to become a SEAL, then serve and survive overseas as a Breacher is probably not going to happen. This guy has a mental toughness that you and I can not even fathom. To think that it is harder to become a contributor on a D1 football team then to become a Navy Seal breaking down enemy doors is rediculous. Maybe he will not be fast enough but to say that he can't train his body to do the job with his determination and toughness is a silly take.

In the past several years we have had a revolving door for great high school athletes that played this game and got pampered for several years because of it. These guys can pass the stop watch test but don't have the ticker. Damion may have had 2* speed when he got here and 0* knowledge but those things can be improved, what he has can not, and that is 5* heart and toughness.

Last edited:

To think that there are 80 kids willing an able to sign up for the marines is stretch. To find 1 kid at every single high school that can not only make it through basic training as a Marine, but then go through what may be the toughest training in the world to become a SEAL, then serve and survive overseas as a Breacher is probably not going to happen. This guy has a mental toughness that you and I can not even fathom. To think that it is harder to become a contributor on a D1 football team then to become a Navy Seal breaking down enemy doors is rediculous. Maybe he will not be fast enough but to say that he can't train his body to do the job with his determination and toughness is a silly take.

In the past several years we have had a revolving door for great high school athletes that played this game and got pampered for several years because of it. These guys can pass the stop watch test but don't have the ticker. Damion may have had 2* speed when he got here and 0* knowledge but those things can be improved, what he has can not, and that is 5* heart and toughness.
I think that there is a difference in a P5 athlete and a successful member of any of the special forces that make up our military, (As a former Marine I do not include all Marines in this description. Force Recon and a few other units fit though.) That is that being a successful P5 athlete requires genetics not required for special forces. Although running a 4.5 40 may help you on a battle field. It is not a requirement. It is at many positions as a P5 athlete. No matter how much you may want to do well. If you are not blessed with those genetics. You can only go so far.

Conversely to challenge. @ShortSideOption a little bit. 13 week bootcamp is only the basic requirement. Just like in Football the training continues endlessly throughout your career. to back up @ShortSideOption though. You would not expect a guy coming right out of Marine Corps bootcamp to go straight to Force Recon and keep up with a SGT who has been doing it for 8 years.

From Bleacher Report article:

"His older brother, Adam, had joined the Navy a year prior. And with his list of college options smaller than his liking and limited financial resources, Jackson joined the Navy right after he graduated in 2010 from Shadow Ridge High School in Las Vegas."

I have known Damien Jackson and his brother since he was 12. Pretty sure he enlisted in the Navy not Marines. Also recall he made the independent decision to study in France either his Sophomore or Junior year in high school. He took that task upon himself to get selected and was successful. At the time his Mother commented, "Anything Damion sets his mind to he will accomplish." He and his brother are/were "really" close. Was interesting/fun watching them in a trampoline center here in Vegas one time. Anything older brother Adam would do Damion had to succeed in accomplishing.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back