• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Damian Jackson

I think that there is a difference in a P5 athlete and a successful member of any of the special forces that make up our military, (As a former Marine I do not include all Marines in this description. Force Recon and a few other units fit though.) That is that being a successful P5 athlete requires genetics not required for special forces. Although running a 4.5 40 may help you on a battle field. It is not a requirement. It is at many positions as a P5 athlete. No matter how much you may want to do well. If you are not blessed with those genetics. You can only go so far.

Conversely to challenge. @ShortSideOption a little bit. 13 week bootcamp is only the basic requirement. Just like in Football the training continues endlessly throughout your career. to back up @ShortSideOption though. You would not expect a guy coming right out of Marine Corps bootcamp to go straight to Force Recon and keep up with a SGT who has been doing it for 8 years.
I do understand that a D1 football player needs some genetic gifts to be successful, if he doesn't have them then he will never be a contributor. I am saying that if he has marginal athletic skill he does have enough mental toughness to overcome some short comings there. The whole idea that he can't figure out how to do his assignments I do find silly because he has been trained in a short period of time to do assignments that are much harder and have way bigger consequences if they aren't done right.

To think that there are 80 kids willing an able to sign up for the marines is stretch. To find 1 kid at every single high school that can not only make it through basic training as a Marine, but then go through what may be the toughest training in the world to become a SEAL, then serve and survive overseas as a Breacher is probably not going to happen. This guy has a mental toughness that you and I can not even fathom. To think that it is harder to become a contributor on a D1 football team then to become a Navy Seal breaking down enemy doors is rediculous. Maybe he will not be fast enough but to say that he can't train his body to do the job with his determination and toughness is a silly take.

In the past several years we have had a revolving door for great high school athletes that played this game and got pampered for several years because of it. These guys can pass the stop watch test but don't have the ticker. Damion may have had 2* speed when he got here and 0* knowledge but those things can be improved, what he has can not, and that is 5* heart and toughness.
Sounds good. For the record I don't think a D1 football player could go and be a Navy Seal just because of the skills he had to garner the scholarship. Works both ways. I expect to see him contribute in some way this year, just not meaningful snaps.

Bolded might be one of the worst takes i've seen on this site. And that's saying something.

Sounds good. For the record I don't think a D1 football player could go and be a Navy Seal just because of the skills he had to garner the scholarship. Works both ways. I expect to see him contribute in some way this year, just not meaningful snaps.

Bolded might be one of the worst takes i've seen on this site. And that's saying something.
This is what I was saying in my post. Hope you did not take it different than I meant it.

Last edited:
This is what I was saying in my post. Hope you did not take it different than I meant it.
I didn't at all. And I hope people don't think i'm crapping on what Jackson has done. Takes something I would never be able to do to become a Navy Seal. But I could run circles around him on the football field. The correlation just isn't there for me between the two situations. Love his attitude and he helps exponentially in other areas off the field. He's a welcome addition to the team. Awesome dude too.

I didn't at all. And I hope people don't think i'm crapping on what Jackson has done. Takes something I would never be able to do to become a Navy Seal. But I could run circles around him on the football field. The correlation just isn't there for me between the two situations. Love his attitude and he helps exponentially in other areas off the field. He's a welcome addition to the team. Awesome dude too.
The biggest thing they both have in common is a HUGE amount of dedication.

Maybe I should clarify what I meant, If he cant play the game fast enough then he can't play at this level, you are correct about that. I am saying it is possible that I believe he can learn the assignments and learn the fundamentals to execute them in a short time even though he hasnt played. He has the type of motor that can compensate for a little less speed but there is definitely a baseline that he has to be over. I would also think the speed that a guy like that does things closes the gap as well, some guys slow down in pads and some guys slow down because they arent crazy. This is the type of guy that if you were fighting him you would have to kill him to beat him because he wont stay down and there may be some ways to use that.

I haven't heard what his reaction was. Since he only believes in team (one would strongly assume), he might not have said much and wanted to keep it low key. Now, he is a dude!
I knew and worked with around 9 or 10 seals over my career and trust me when I say that everything but the word "TEAM" is trained right out of them! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

I don’t disagree with what you are saying but he also learned how to be a Marine in 13 weeks. He learned how to keep himself and others alive in high pressure situations. I am not saying this guy is our next all American, I am just saying maybe we shouldn’t just assume he can’t be successful.
He was a Seal, not a Marine. And it takes more than 13 weeks. Not trying to bust chops, just clarifying. And ultimately, hard work, discipline and drive will only take you so far. Ultimately need to have god given talent and genetics to play D1 at a high level.

Maybe I should clarify what I meant, If he cant play the game fast enough then he can't play at this level, you are correct about that. I am saying it is possible that I believe he can learn the assignments and learn the fundamentals to execute them in a short time even though he hasnt played. He has the type of motor that can compensate for a little less speed but there is definitely a baseline that he has to be over. I would also think the speed that a guy like that does things closes the gap as well, some guys slow down in pads and some guys slow down because they arent crazy. This is the type of guy that if you were fighting him you would have to kill him to beat him because he wont stay down and there may be some ways to use that.
Ok, i'm there with you. I'll take a Navy Seals determination and other attributes to get them there over pretty much any D1 football players. But there's a baseline talent level you need IMO.

Ok, i'm there with you. I'll take a Navy Seals determination and other attributes to get them there over pretty much any D1 football players. But there's a baseline talent level you need IMO.
When you take his football instincts or skills out of it for a moment, where would you say he stacks up as far as pure athleticism/strength/physical ability?

Such a great story and outstanding role model for his teammates....and all of us, for that matter.

He was a Seal, not a Marine. And it takes more than 13 weeks. Not trying to bust chops, just clarifying. And ultimately, hard work, discipline and drive will only take you so far. Ultimately need to have god given talent and genetics to play D1 at a high level.
My bad on the Marine thing, for some reason I thought I read he was a Marine first but after reading again I was mistaken. I still believe that the character this guy has shown can overcome some talent gaps. He obviously can't play if he has none. If he is almost fast enough he may be able to compensate with attitude, if its not close then he cant.

I think there's a massive difference between being a Marine in 13 weeks and becoming a contributor at a Power 5 football program. There's probably 80 kids on every high school team that could go join the armed forces or Marines, there's hopefully 1 that gets to play P5 football. Further, every Marine starts at 18, he wasn't behind the curve.

The comparison or thinking it would translate is a bit silly IMO.
Didn't the staff look at him as an attempt for him to be a Long Snapper? Wasn't there issues with his speed and accuracy? Please correct me if I am wrong. Realize that is alot harder position than it looks but with his size that was or at least should be considered.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back