• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Clemson Athletes and Covid

And I still don't think people fully grasp that they may have had the virus already and didn't know it because they didn't have symptoms, and then spread it to someone who ended up getting very sick or died because of it.

When someone tests positive for the virus that the person should quarantine for everyone else's sake that doesn't have it, not for the sake of the person that does.

States are recording daily records for new cases every day, the death toll continues to climb, but texas it because we gotta have sports! smh...

Sure. Some people don't get it and that's why if you're in the most at risk groups you need to make a decision on what risks you're willing to take. If you have family in the most at risk groups, you need to take extra precautions when you're around them so as not to transmit if you're a carrier. It's really not that hard.

Instead, we're going to act like testing is the end all be all and it's just not. I've been tested three times since this started. Once prior to a medical procedure and twice for different clients that required it prior to entering their facilities. All three occasions I got results back in 24 hours, but the reality is the minute I drove away from the test center, I could have been exposed again, but my 'negative' test provided someone with a false sense of security.

States will continue to show higher daily positives BECAUSE WE KEEP INCREASING THE NUMBER OF TESTS. We will see a spike in positives as things have opened up again, but that was expected. More people will die open, closed, sports or not, but you're right. Texas it. Shut it all down. Because some feel safer.

Sure. Some people don't get it and that's why if you're in the most at risk groups you need to make a decision on what risks you're willing to take. If you have family in the most at risk groups, you need to take extra precautions when you're around them so as not to transmit if you're a carrier. It's really not that hard.

Instead, we're going to act like testing is the end all be all and it's just not. I've been tested three times since this started. Once prior to a medical procedure and twice for different clients that required it prior to entering their facilities. All three occasions I got results back in 24 hours, but the reality is the minute I drove away from the test center, I could have been exposed again, but my 'negative' test provided someone with a false sense of security.

States will continue to show higher daily positives BECAUSE WE KEEP INCREASING THE NUMBER OF TESTS. We will see a spike in positives as things have opened up again, but that was expected. More people will die open, closed, sports or not, but you're right. Texas it. Shut it all down. Because some feel safer.
Less testing in my area and increase in positives. Of course, yet to be determined as the accuracy of some of these "rushed through by the FDA because of panic" tests.

If the rules already in place don't change, you'll likely see teams forfeit because they don't have enough kids to play the game. That's my point. Alabama isn't forfeiting to Tennessee Martin in November because 40 of their kids test positive. They just aren't going to do that. The rules either change or they break them.

The framework is already in place, but at this point it's just hypothetical because it's June. I don't know how the season starts with the current 'rules' as the MO for how to deal with positives. You're right that the NCAA won't openly allow teams to do whatever they want, but I don't see them rigidly monitoring and testing this either. There isn't an apparatus in place.

I hear you, but I have a difficult time believing we won't let otherwise healthy kids play football all in the interest of 'safety' but rallies, rioting and looting are OK.
Looting would be an NCAA violation during summer if any coaches are supervising

Less testing in my area and increase in positives. Of course, yet to be determined as the accuracy of some of these "rushed through by the FDA because of panic" tests.

So my doc and I had the conversation during the prep for my procedure and he has some very strong opinions.

Their overall facilities testing that week in the Charlotte area alone included 28,000 tests for, medical treatment/hospitalization patients and their own staff. Percentage of positives was less than .5% including those seeking medical treatment and healthcare providers. That's one hospital chain in one major city in the US in one week, yet the total number of tests reported by the CDC that same week nationwide was 1.2 million. In addition to their tests, the same thing is happening with both the other major hospital chain in the area (which is slightly larger), large and midsize employers, and smaller healthcare organizations who're doing the same thing. His guess was in Charlotte alone that week we had over 50k tests. I think based on their 28k and them being the second largest healthcare provider in the region, that number is light. So 50k in one week in a city of roughly 2 million. If you take the 14 cities in the US that are larger than Charlotte and just use the same 50k number, the total tests are at 750,000, for 15 cities so it's easy to see why he felt the CDC is not accurately reporting the number of tests. His bottom line is nothing about the data their providing the public or the media is accurate and he's not seeing the kind of healthcare crap show that's portrayed in the media either.

I don't think we've ever gotten anything accurate from anyone on this. What I see with my own eyes surely doesn't match.

I've never condoned shutting the country down. But I'm 100% behind anyone with a positive test quarantining themselves, symptoms or not, and mandatory facemasks for all public places. There is a middle ground between shut it all down and lets just all get it and get it over with.

I've never condoned shutting the country down. But I'm 100% behind anyone with a positive test quarantining themselves, symptoms or not, and mandatory facemasks for all public places. There is a middle ground between shut it all down and lets just all get it and get it over with.

There is and honestly we've been in that middle ground for a while now. We flattened the curve, now we're elongating its visit. Unless this thing just dries up and dies, it's going to be hard to shelter and protect much of the population indefinitely, without them doing it on their own...which should already be the case, IMO.

There is and honestly we've been in that middle ground for a while now. We flattened the curve, now we're elongating its visit. Unless this thing just dries up and dies, it's going to be hard to shelter and protect much of the population indefinitely, without them doing it on their own...which should already be the case, IMO.
We're elongating it because people act like it's over and are going back to normal. No social distancing, no masks, etc. If we push forward with Sports and sporting events this year the spread will explode.

We're elongating it because people act like it's over and are going back to normal. No social distancing, no masks, etc. If we push forward with Sports and sporting events this year the spread will explode.

That's not the case. We've elongated it because it's here, it's not going away and we've sheltered a large portion of the population from it. Now many of those people are out and about and exposed for the first time. It's not practical to think we can just stop the spread.

I do think there is a legitimate conversation to be had about limited seating for events, but it's time to move on. This thing isn't going anywhere, so we either turtle and let it change everything about life or we adapt and move on. I've moved on.

That's not the case. We've elongated it because it's here, it's not going away and we've sheltered a large portion of the population from it. Now many of those people are out and about and exposed for the first time. It's not practical to think we can just stop the spread.

I do think there is a legitimate conversation to be had about limited seating for events, but it's time to move on. This thing isn't going anywhere, so we either turtle and let it change everything about life or we adapt and move on. I've moved on.
Quarantining, facemasks, social distancing, etc. Arent about eliminating the spread, it's to try to slow the spread and keep the number of infected low until a vaccine is made.

But I guess "if I get it I get, and if people die people die, but don't you dare take my sports" is another option.... :Confused:

Quarantining, facemasks, social distancing, etc. Arent about eliminating the spread, it's to try to slow the spread and keep the number of infected low until a vaccine is made.

But I guess "if I get it I get, and if people die people die, but don't you dare take my sports" is another option.... :Confused:

Well that's a change in the stated goal, but sure.

I've read we may not have an approved vaccine for twenty years, if ever. It's a Coronavirus like the common cold...and there is a potential we can't or won't be able to create a vaccine. That doesn't work.

We need to keep using best practices, but me wanting sports back doesn't equate to me being flippant about you getting it and dying. Not having football this fall guarantees nothing for either of us.

Well that's a change in the stated goal, but sure.

I've read we may not have an approved vaccine for twenty years, if ever. It's a Coronavirus like the common cold...and there is a potential we can't or won't be able to create a vaccine. That doesn't work.

We need to keep using best practices, but me wanting sports back doesn't equate to me being flippant about you getting it and dying. Not having football this fall guarantees nothing for either of us.
We can't keep doing something that a large number of people have already abandoned, and a smaller number of people are actively fighting.

Thanks for the civil discussion about it though. I appreciate that we can disagree about something but still discuss it.

Last edited:

We can't keep doing something that a large number of people have already abandoned, and a smaller number of people are actively fighting.

Thanks for the civil discussion about it though. I appreciate that we can disagree about something but still discuss it.

Actually I've seen a lot more people using best practices (social distancing, hand washing/sanitizer, etc.) than not. The stuff on TV doesn't match what I'm seeing in public, except the protests. In Charlotte at least.

Certainly. I'll admit I was much angrier about the whole thing very early on when I had to lay people off because of the shutdown. Many of these folks had been career construction managers and their families sole providers and that really bothered me and bothers me still. Gutting the lives of 17 of my co-workers didn't sit well with me and really still doesn't, since again, I'm not seeing nearly any effect on our projects related to Covid-19 with the exception of increased paperwork and people using it as an excuse for not getting something done. Apparently Covid has a strong effect on productivity for brick masons, or something.

I like this board a lot more when I can discuss something with someone who doesn't agree with me and we don't end up insulting each other. It's a better place that way.

Actually I've seen a lot more people using best practices (social distancing, hand washing/sanitizer, etc.) than not. The stuff on TV doesn't match what I'm seeing in public, except the protests. In Charlotte at least.

Certainly. I'll admit I was much angrier about the whole thing very early on when I had to lay people off because of the shutdown. Many of these folks had been career construction managers and their families sole providers and that really bothered me and bothers me still. Gutting the lives of 17 of my co-workers didn't sit well with me and really still doesn't, since again, I'm not seeing nearly any effect on our projects related to Covid-19 with the exception of increased paperwork and people using it as an excuse for not getting something done. Apparently Covid has a strong effect on productivity for brick masons, or something.

I like this board a lot more when I can discuss something with someone who doesn't agree with me and we don't end up insulting each other. It's a better place that way.
That's why I seldom go to hot topics anymore....

While I am not in the position you are, I work for an MEP consulting engineering firm and we have had to make some staffing moves like you describe and it sucks. My company has invested in the ability for everyone to work from home, which I am still doing and will be doing for as long as they let me. I am not in a high risk group, but I do have a 5 month old son at home who was born 2 months early, and I get really anxious when I go out to the store and I'm one of the few wearing a mask and respecting social distancing. If I didn't know any better I would say the virus is gone in suburban Kansas City.

If people can't respect social distancing and wear a mask at the grocery store, I have zero belief that people will do it at a sporting event.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back