• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Clemson Athletes and Covid

Sure. Some people don't get it and that's why if you're in the most at risk groups you need to make a decision on what risks you're willing to take. If you have family in the most at risk groups, you need to take extra precautions when you're around them so as not to transmit if you're a carrier. It's really not that hard.

Instead, we're going to act like testing is the end all be all and it's just not. I've been tested three times since this started. Once prior to a medical procedure and twice for different clients that required it prior to entering their facilities. All three occasions I got results back in 24 hours, but the reality is the minute I drove away from the test center, I could have been exposed again, but my 'negative' test provided someone with a false sense of security.

States will continue to show higher daily positives BECAUSE WE KEEP INCREASING THE NUMBER OF TESTS. We will see a spike in positives as things have opened up again, but that was expected. More people will die open, closed, sports or not, but you're right. Texas it. Shut it all down. Because some feel safer.

Speaking of Texas ... these are the types of numbers that matter much more than testing positive just because there's more people testing. And Texas is not alone in seeing hospitalization numbers on the rise. Add in the facts that people are naturally more socially distanced in the summer than they will be in the fall -- and hospitals are not seeing competing beds for influenza in June, July, and August ...

1592677620086.png

Also, regarding the protests ... I'm sure it varies by location ... but I can say that no less than 90% of protesters in Austin have been wearing masks while protesting. Obviously, athletes aren't going to be wearing makes while out on the field of play.

Last edited:
There's some very difficult decisions that need to be made without a lot of time left to make them.

I tend to think there will be some attempt in some form for college football to happen this fall -- but I think there needs to be contingency plans in place as well.

I personally have no clue what will happen. And I'd guess nobody really does.

That's why I seldom go to hot topics anymore....

While I am not in the position you are, I work for an MEP consulting engineering firm and we have had to make some staffing moves like you describe and it sucks. My company has invested in the ability for everyone to work from home, which I am still doing and will be doing for as long as they let me. I am not in a high risk group, but I do have a 5 month old son at home who was born 2 months early, and I get really anxious when I go out to the store and I'm one of the few wearing a mask and respecting social distancing. If I didn't know any better I would say the virus is gone in suburban Kansas City.

If people can't respect social distancing and wear a mask at the grocery store, I have zero belief that people will do it at a sporting event.

We did that for Project Managers, Pre-construction and support folks, but since I'm in Operations, I and our field staffs had to just keep on doing what we'd done before. Roughly 500,000 man hours worked since this started and we've had four subcontractor employees test positive and quarantine, no hospitalizations and none of our folks test positive. I went to an empty main office every morning for three months (which was awesome) and we got better at Teams conference calls. It worked out and we're still plugging away.

Honestly, it's going to be really hard to 'Social Distance' at Memorial Stadium. Even with 50% seating, the in and out will be next to impossible. I'd hate to see attendance sacrificed this year, but that might be the only way football happens. I think with the money at stake (not just the NCAA, conferences and schools, but the cities and businesses that are dependent on college football) they'll find a way to make it work.

Speaking of Texas ... these are the types of numbers that matter much more than testing positive just because there's more people testing. And Texas is not alone in seeing hospitalization numbers on the rise. Add in the facts that people are naturally more socially distanced in the summer than they will be in the fall -- and hospitals are not seeing competing beds for influenza in June, July, and August ...

View attachment 45875

It's interesting you mention 'people are naturally more social distanced' in the summer and I find the reverse to be true in South Carolina. More people gathering on the lake, cookouts, restaurants with outside patios, etc. Families are more confined in the winter and I guess it would be someone dependent on weather in cold weather locations.

Good point on the lack of competition. The elderly fill hospitals with seasonal respiratory issues eery winter.

Quarantining, facemasks, social distancing, etc. Arent about eliminating the spread, it's to try to slow the spread and keep the number of infected low until a vaccine is made.

But I guess "if I get it I get, and if people die people die, but don't you dare take my sports" is another option.... :Confused:

No. The intent was to not overwhelm hospitals and medical care. It was always stated that the same number were going to get sick.

No serious person has claimed there would be a vaccine in place before the lockdowns ended.

France is already allowing crowds to go back to soccer games and most of Europe is opening with fewer and fewer restrictions (if any)

It's interesting you mention 'people are naturally more social distanced' in the summer and I find the reverse to be true in South Carolina. More people gathering on the lake, cookouts, restaurants with outside patios, etc. Families are more confined in the winter and I guess it would be someone dependent on weather in cold weather locations.

Good point on the lack of competition. The elderly fill hospitals with seasonal respiratory issues eery winter.

A virus is more easily spread indoors than outdoors. Less circulation of the air. I'd more readily take my chances at a beach with a couple people in the area with Covid than in an office or classroom. Yes, it's somewhat climate dependent, but by nature, people spend more time indoors in the fall and winter months -- let alone the fact that the days are shorter so less opportunity for outdoor activities in the evenings and more time spent inside.

View attachment 45875

Also, regarding the protests ... I'm sure it varies by location ... but I can say that no less than 90% of protesters in Austin have been wearing masks while protesting. Obviously, athletes aren't going to be wearing makes while out on the field of play.

While those numbers seems to be scary in going up, what they're seeing is a mix of things. Hospitals are opening up for elective procedures now and many of the positives they're seeing (who're included in those numbers) are people who aren't actively sick from Corona, but who are tested during an admission for a procedure, categorized and then released. They are also seeing hospitals keep people longer and longer for Corona as they aren't as pressed for space.

Many of the positives are for people going back to work, and is reflected in a much younger average for positives (in florida they went from average positive over age 65 to under 40). In Dallas, for instance, the positives who are not hospitalized has gone up to 85%

we're seeing death numbers skewing from what were the original ratios of cases and hospitalizations for the reasons above.

While those numbers seems to be scary in going up, what they're seeing is a mix of things. Hospitals are opening up for elective procedures now and many of the positives they're seeing (who're included in those numbers) are people who aren't actively sick from Corona, but who are tested during an admission for a procedure, categorized and then released. They are also seeing hospitals keep people longer and longer for Corona as they aren't as pressed for space.

I wouldn't doubt this is happening to some extent -- although I'd be curious to know numbers. I'm guessing those aren't readily available. Do you think it's making up all of the rise in hospitalization numbers -- or skewing them upward some? (I'd guess the numbers would be going up regardless -- but maybe not to the same extent).

That said, if you are arriving at the hospital for a procedure that was put off for a couple months in the spring, wouldn't you need to be there more than a few hours for the procedure to have the covid tests come back in time to qualify as a covid hospitalization?

I guess I'd like to read more about this. Do you have a link available?

Regarding the chart in the Tweet -- again, the more tested, the better the rates/percentages. I'm skeptical with using rates to derive decisions. I think raw numbers are more meaningful.

Last edited:

Anyhow, we can debate stats all we want. I don't know what should be taken more seriously and what should be taken less seriously. We all have opinions on that. But ultimately, we aren't the ones making decisions on what events can or can't happen. I have no clue what types of decisions will be made -- and we ultimately have no control over those decisions. About the only guarantee is that whatever decision is made will result in much debate.

EDIT: My other concern is how things will be handled when this city has one set of restrictions, this state has another, this school has another, this conference has yet another. All around the country you are seeing a wide array of how Covid is being handled publicly. Yet you need to devise some level of consistency to be able to play sports on a national level.

Last edited:
I wouldn't doubt this is happening to some extent -- although I'd be curious to know numbers. I'm guessing those aren't readily available. Do you think it's making up all of the rise in hospitalization numbers -- or skewing them upward some? (I'd guess the numbers would be going up regardless -- but maybe not to the same extent).

That said, if you are arriving at the hospital for a procedure that was put off for a couple months in the spring, wouldn't you need to be there more than a few hours for the procedure to have the covid tests come back in time to qualify as a covid hospitalization?

I guess I'd like to read more about this. Do you have a link available?

Regarding the chart in the Tweet -- again, the more tested, the better the rates/percentages. I'm skeptical with using rates to derive decisions. I think raw numbers are more meaningful.

I'll try to dig up some info a bit later today. Was reading a lot of this yesterday

That's not the case. We've elongated it because it's here, it's not going away and we've sheltered a large portion of the population from it. Now many of those people are out and about and exposed for the first time. It's not practical to think we can just stop the spread.

I do think there is a legitimate conversation to be had about limited seating for events, but it's time to move on. This thing isn't going anywhere, so we either turtle and let it change everything about life or we adapt and move on. I've moved on.
Open is in, regardless of what medical data there is. Can't shut down again, yet when I sit and talk, (wearing my mask) with restaurant owners when I pick up, they are hurting. So in a way some type of shut down is going to happen. Some people can't take it at home, and some people can't handle the what ifs by going out. As time goes on, what you do is going to be determined with your fear/mindset. Picked up to go order 2 nights ago, young lady (home from Boston Col) and had an opportunity to ask her thoughts. she wasn't concerned, yet in March her dad was seriously ill with Covid-yet she told me she thinks this whole thing is blown out of proportion.
Me-I look at 1918, and fear unchecked is what could happen again.

View attachment 45875

Having seen more than a few of the idiot protesters here in Austin, I believe you are seeing a far higher number than I did.

Open is in, regardless of what medical data there is. Can't shut down again, yet when I sit and talk, (wearing my mask) with restaurant owners when I pick up, they are hurting. So in a way some type of shut down is going to happen. Some people can't take it at home, and some people can't handle the what ifs by going out. As time goes on, what you do is going to be determined with your fear/mindset. Picked up to go order 2 nights ago, young lady (home from Boston Col) and had an opportunity to ask her thoughts. she wasn't concerned, yet in March her dad was seriously ill with Covid-yet she told me she thinks this whole thing is blown out of proportion.
Me-I look at 1918, and fear unchecked is what could happen again.

The Spanish Flu is a great comparison.

1918. World War 1 still raging in Europe. Healthcare wasn't leeches and blood letting, but it was a joke compared to modern medicine.

We're not even close to the same society as we were then, for better and for worse.

Bottom line is we're beyond the fear, other than those who're spending all day watching CNN.

More will die. No question. No this isn't the flu, but every year around 100,000 die from influenza and we shut nothing down.

Life goes on.

Having seen more than a few of the idiot protesters here in Austin, I believe you are seeing a far higher number than I did.

... I live downtown Austin ... I thought you lived in San Antonio -- did you move to Austin? Were you downtown there protesting with me? I have a bunch of photos I took -- what were you wearing?

Last edited:

The Spanish Flu is a great comparison.

1918. World War 1 still raging in Europe. Healthcare wasn't leeches and blood letting, but it was a joke compared to modern medicine.

We're not even close to the same society as we were then, for better and for worse.

Bottom line is we're beyond the fear, other than those who're spending all day watching CNN.

More will die. No question. No this isn't the flu, but every year around 100,000 die from influenza and we shut nothing down.

Life goes on.

There's one part of the Spanish flu that makes it hard to compare to today. The second wave of the Spanish flu was far worse then the first. The second wave came shortly after the WW1 ended. Thousands if not millions of people rushed out of the streets to celebrate the ending of WW1.

Then again between protests, riots, and Trump rallies maybe it won't be that much different after all. ;)

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back