• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

My Conversation with an Ex-Husker Coach and a Men's Basketball Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megatron

Recruit
5 Year Member
Almost two months ago I traveled from the West Coast to the East Coast. When passing through security I noticed a Men's Basketball Team that was clearing at the same time. While waiting for my wife to clear, I engaged in a conversation with about 4 or 5 of their players (they were waiting for the entire team to clear). They are a pretty competitive Power 5 Team, that was Adidas sponsored. I asked them where they were headed and how the year had been. After a little chatting, I asked them, what brand do you prefer between Adidas and Nike? Since they were adorned in Adidas sweats, I thought the answer would be obvious. It wasn't. They overwhelming said Nike. When I asked why, they said it was just the "go-to" choice and that they grew up with all of their stars wearing it. I told them I was from Nebraska and if a school wearing Nike or Adidas had an affect on their choice. They said it did, but not as much for 3 star athletes and even some 4 stars. They said you don't stand a chance for real elite athletes choosing an Adidas school. Again, when I asked why, they talked about elite athletes being Nike driven since they started school, and that while ok, Adidas was not the same. They said you have to understand what those guys love, and how they were part of Nike since almost birth. They said Ohio State athletes get 10 and 12 pairs of shoes and sweats - and that Nebraska stops just short of being elite (giving only a couple of pairs). How they all know that - I have no clue. IT was an interesting conversation. I followed their next game - they got beat - but it was close.

When I sat in my assigned seat on the plane, I was surprised to see one of our former assistants sitting in front of me. He was out recruiting. Of course I had to start talking to him. It was a good conversation, but I could feel his disdain for Nebraska throughout our talk. He felt they were shortchanged by the administration, and that is putting it mildly. He also thought Frost would do fine, but that it would take time to rebuild the program. He said that Frost's staff was filled with good guys that should do well.

Just two interesting conversations to start an otherwise uneventful trip. Like most of you, I would love to see NU return to the "glory days." I just wonder if NU is taking the "right" steps to get there...

GBR

I am sorry, but I will never own a piece of Nike clothing ever. You can make whatever out of it you want but the day they paid the former QB to endorse their product and their misguided ad campaign was they final straw.
Not a big fan either - at all.

I’m not a fan either but does it matter what us old farts think?

Agreed 100%. I was merely pointing out what the athletes think - not my opinion - which in the end doesn't matter. If you are going to be successful in today's college athletics, you better understand what is important (and in the head) of that kid(s) you are recruiting.

You had the conversation and can only retell what those elite athletes said. I believe your story. But saying Nebraska will never get elite athletes because of Adidas is laughable. I remember a friend who played for the team. At the end of the year he brought home trashbags full of gear. Said one guy on the team needed 12 30 gallon trashbags to bring home all the gear he had accumulated over the year.

Not choosing a school because of 10 shoes vs 2 or 3? and we wonder why teams have culture issues that can't be fixed in 20 minutes and a few extra wind sprints.

You had the conversation and can only retell what those elite athletes said. I believe your story. But saying Nebraska will never get elite athletes because of Adidas is laughable. I remember a friend who played for the team. At the end of the year he brought home trashbags full of gear. Said one guy on the team needed 12 30 gallon trashbags to bring home all the gear he had accumulated over the year.

Not choosing a school because of 10 shoes vs 2 or 3? and we wonder why teams have culture issues that can't be fixed in 20 minutes and a few extra wind sprints.
Understand that the kids said that - not me. However, I do firmly believe that 5 star kids are going to go where they are showcased on championship level teams that give them the best shot at the pros in less-than 4 years. If the number of shoes or sweats play into that, I don't know and don't care, but the kids I talked to did, like it or not.

I just wanna know who the bball team was.
also, I've said this in a thread or two that was dealing with brands including Nike. The last two pairs of Nike's that I ever bought, didn't last 6 months(if that long) and I just found much better brands. As far as shirts and stuff goes, MEH! If it looks good and isn't over the top expensive.... I still haven't bought anything Nike in over 20 - 25 years.

I am sorry, but I will never own a piece of Nike clothing ever. You can make whatever out of it you want but the day they paid the former QB to endorse their product and their misguided ad campaign was they final straw.

And Kaepernick is a big reason why African-American athletes love Nike.

You were probably ok with this though

Attachments

• trumper.jpg
    trumper.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 72

hate me nike, like the young mens opinions though. get um nike if that's what they like

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back