• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

My Conversation with an Ex-Husker Coach and a Men's Basketball Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

I think its way past time for Nebraska to switch sponsors. I have nothing against Adidas, but wouldn't mind seeing the Huskers go the Nike route for a few years. Nike brand seems to have more power.

I think the sport in which an athlete participates might make a difference. Nike has been synonymous with basketball ever since they landed a deal with Michael Jordan. I don't think the same can be said about football. Without looking, does anyone know what shoes Joe Montana wore? Emmett Smith? Lawrence Taylor? Peyton Manning? Tom Brady?

While NFL players certainly have endorsement deals, the brand they wear isn't nearly as visible or impactful as what you see in the NBA. And that means that football players growing up likely don't care all that much.

Didn't we have some weird start up brand during the 90's before we switched to Adidas? Apex? I don't recall.

And Kaepernick is a big reason why African-American athletes love Nike.

You were probably ok with this though
nike was a thing in the aa community long before kaepernick.

It's a way bigger deal in basketball. Adidas and Nike get their hooks into AAU teams and then those coaches and shoe reps direct kids to the preferred programs. Nike used to rule that world as i understood it but Adidas certainly hasn't gone away (i.e. kansas). But yeah an Adidas school is going to have a tougher time pulling a kid that Nike already has their hooks in. Vice versa as well.

Thanks, that makes total sense. I was scratching my head wondering how MR's staff could have felt short changed.
What was interesting to me is that he mentioned that a few members that were part of Bo’s staff talk to Frost’s staff on a regular basis, himself included. I know there is strong loyalties within the coaching ranks, guess I never thought about that connection.

What was interesting to me is that he mentioned that a few members that were part of Bo’s staff talk to Frost’s staff on a regular basis, himself included. I know there is strong loyalties within the coaching ranks, guess I never thought about that connection.

That surprises me, but I guess it makes sense. College football coaches is probably a pretty small and intertwined group.

Not shooting the messenger by any stretch of the imagination and actually I think it’s a pretty cool story, and yet I would guarantee that Alabama could be wearing Birkenstock’s right now as long as they’re dragging in crystal balls at the end of the season it won’t really matter....

I think it just highlights, with all due respect to them, that kids are probably way more materialistic today, compare to any time in the past. You can chalk that up to all the talk about paying players. They demand free stuff, and which ever college does that wins out!

I don't doubt that kids might like Nike more.

But there's also a portion of them who enjoy winning championships. Start putting the product on the field and kids will line up. Doesn't matter if we're wearing Champion or Russell gear.

And Kaepernick is a big reason why African-American athletes love Nike.

You were probably ok with this though
What a dbag post. Typical mindset of someone like you. If anyone disagrees with you just assume they are an extremist. Labeling is so much easier than thinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back