• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

My Conversation with an Ex-Husker Coach and a Men's Basketball Team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Almost two months ago I traveled from the West Coast to the East Coast. When passing through security I noticed a Men's Basketball Team that was clearing at the same time. While waiting for my wife to clear, I engaged in a conversation with about 4 or 5 of their players (they were waiting for the entire team to clear). They are a pretty competitive Power 5 Team, that was Adidas sponsored. I asked them where they were headed and how the year had been. After a little chatting, I asked them, what brand do you prefer between Adidas and Nike? Since they were adorned in Adidas sweats, I thought the answer would be obvious. It wasn't. They overwhelming said Nike. When I asked why, they said it was just the "go-to" choice and that they grew up with all of their stars wearing it. I told them I was from Nebraska and if a school wearing Nike or Adidas had an affect on their choice. They said it did, but not as much for 3 star athletes and even some 4 stars. They said you don't stand a chance for real elite athletes choosing an Adidas school. Again, when I asked why, they talked about elite athletes being Nike driven since they started school, and that while ok, Adidas was not the same. They said you have to understand what those guys love, and how they were part of Nike since almost birth. They said Ohio State athletes get 10 and 12 pairs of shoes and sweats - and that Nebraska stops just short of being elite (giving only a couple of pairs). How they all know that - I have no clue. IT was an interesting conversation. I followed their next game - they got beat - but it was close.

When I sat in my assigned seat on the plane, I was surprised to see one of our former assistants sitting in front of me. He was out recruiting. Of course I had to start talking to him. It was a good conversation, but I could feel his disdain for Nebraska throughout our talk. He felt they were shortchanged by the administration, and that is putting it mildly. He also thought Frost would do fine, but that it would take time to rebuild the program. He said that Frost's staff was filled with good guys that should do well.

Just two interesting conversations to start an otherwise uneventful trip. Like most of you, I would love to see NU return to the "glory days." I just wonder if NU is taking the "right" steps to get there...

GBR
Interesting anecdotes - thanks for sharing!

I'm in the same boat as many here - haven't bought Nike for years, mostly because I don't like paying 20% extra for the logo they sew on, but their SJW ad campaigns have ensured that that's intentional.

But at the same time, shoes absolutely rule the world of basketball, and it's Nike's world almost to the point of religion in that sport.

Didn't we have some weird start up brand during the 90's before we switched to Adidas? Apex? I don't recall.
Yup, Apex before they stopped sponsoring football:

One of the reasons - hinted at in this article - that we're Adidas instead of Nike, is essentially that we get undivided attention from Adidas, whereas with Nike we'd always play second-fiddle to Oregon, and be just another one of their big-time clients. Culture also probably played a role in that selection. I'm of the opinion that it's a good match, and probably not so massive of a factor for the majority of football players.

Interesting anecdotes - thanks for sharing!

I'm in the same boat as many here - haven't bought Nike for years, mostly because I don't like paying 20% extra for the logo they sew on, but their SJW ad campaigns have ensured that that's intentional.

But at the same time, shoes absolutely rule the world of basketball, and it's Nike's world almost to the point of religion in that sport.

Yup, Apex before they stopped sponsoring football:

One of the reasons - hinted at in this article - that we're Adidas instead of Nike, is essentially that we get undivided attention from Adidas, whereas with Nike we'd always play second-fiddle to Oregon, and be just another one of their big-time clients. Culture also probably played a role in that selection. I'm of the opinion that it's a good match, and probably not so massive of a factor for the majority of football players.

I like Adidas for Nebraska it makes them a little different. I get that BBall players like Nike, but as many have said start winning and it really doesn't matter.

Adidas does have only a few colleges compared to Nike or Under Armour for that matter. Adidas makes all there money in Futball boots, soccer shoes.

nike was a thing in the aa community long before kaepernick.

It's a way bigger deal in basketball. Adidas and Nike get their hooks into AAU teams and then those coaches and shoe reps direct kids to the preferred programs. Nike used to rule that world as i understood it but Adidas certainly hasn't gone away (i.e. kansas). But yeah an Adidas school is going to have a tougher time pulling a kid that Nike already has their hooks in. Vice versa as well.
This is completely true. We’ve seen Nike steering kids to basketball schools. Xion claims they paid his family to get him to a Nike school. Adidas got caught too with Kansas. These kids know who they eventually want to sign with. So they pick a school based on that.

This is completely true. We’ve seen Nike steering kids to basketball schools. Xion claims they paid his family to get him to a Nike school. Adidas got caught too with Kansas. These kids know who they eventually want to sign with. So they pick a school based on that.
You guys might be correct, I don’t or haven’t talked to football recruits in more than a few years. What’s interesting to me is that both Michigan and Tennessee moved away from Adidas pretty quickly after a coaching change. Perhaps a coincidence, but both schools football recruiting improved dramatically - but again maybe it was all due to the new coach. While Frost’s recruiting classes have been ok, I wouldn’t say he knocked it out of the park, with any top ten rankings. There are so many variables it’s tough to point to one thing and say that’s the root cause.
I’ve been to Tuscaloosa (a dump), and a few other cities that capture top ten recruiting rankings on a regular basis - I would choose Lincoln over all of them - every day of the week. Guess getting young folks to visit Lincoln has, and will continue to be, the challenge.

You guys might be correct, I don’t or haven’t talked to football recruits in more than a few years. What’s interesting to me is that both Michigan and Tennessee moved away from Adidas pretty quickly after a coaching change. Perhaps a coincidence, but both schools football recruiting improved dramatically - but again maybe it was all due to the new coach. While Frost’s recruiting classes have been ok, I wouldn’t say he knocked it out of the park, with any top ten rankings. There are so many variables it’s tough to point to one thing and say that’s the root cause.
I’ve been to Tuscaloosa (a dump), and a few other cities that capture top ten recruiting rankings on a regular basis - I would choose Lincoln over all of them - every day of the week. Guess getting young folks to visit Lincoln has, and will continue to be, the challenge.
I do agree with the people that say football is different. AAU has taken over youth basketball. Shoe companies are heavily involved. Youth basketball and baseball are nothing more than big business anymore. Teaching kids is secondary to making money.

It's winning, getting players into the NFL, and proximity to talent that is steering top talent to the South. Lincoln is an awesome town but recruits will never know it if they don't visit on game day. Right now we are 0-3. We aren't winning, our players are not consistently getting to the NFL and those that do are rather obscure to everyone but us, and Lincoln sure isn't in the middle of a hotbed for talent.

What the town or city that a particular school is in looks like really has nothing to do with recruiting.

1. I would say is the team itself. Are they good?

Lots of other things come into play but the one that kills Nebraska is distance from home. It doesn't matter that Tuscaloosa is a dump it is 150 miles from home Alabama is good and they want me to come play football.

I’m not a fan either but does it matter what us old farts think?
I remember my pair of Bob Wolf Pro's and thought I was on top of the world. NIKE? never liked them because of their fit, but the teens love them. good thread.
I also knew the reason I was slower then everyone was because I didn't own a pair of Red ball Jets. Little did I really know was that I was stuck with the genes of a non-athletic family.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back