• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Avante Dickerson.Decommits From MN;

Just wanted to highlight this, because if this happens this will truly be great news (especially Fidone).
Husker fan looking at a TE room that will be severely depleted when he gets here. That one is in the bag. Haarberg I think we offer sooner than later and he will jump on it.

There is a reason the rich get richer. Top talents want to play at programs that are competing for championships.

We have to show that on the field. And one recruit doesn't make or break our program, but they do change how long and bumpy the road might be to get us there.

And to note, recruiting threads about a player who commits seem to be a lot shorter than 15 pages. Our anxiety and anger over a player who spurns us is 5X greater than our excitement and hopefulness over a player who does choose us. So it seems, at least. We are quick to find someone to blame so we can excuse it away. And maybe the kid just felt like that was his best option and that not everything is a lesson for us. I think it has been pretty well documented how hard this staff and his position coach in particular grind on the recruiting trail. We just need to get halfway through the season and show steps forward.

Good luck to AD. Better luck to all of the athletes who pick us.

Last edited:

I was told by a very reliable source that happens to be a lifelong NU fan, that AD committed to Minn because "he" perceived that their culture is far superior to Nebraska. When I first heard that, I was taken aback and was in denial. He also said that he was very confident that AD would not flip to NU. AD felt he could get to the NFL better with MInn.

For the record, I don't like Fleck either, but this source is pretty knowledgeable and I respect his opinion. Our culture has a long ways to go are objectively Minnesota's is better than ours "right now". Hopefully that will change. Keep in mind that Fleck didn't inherit a rose garden either and it pains me to admit that Fleck has done a better job to this date than Frost. No one hopes this changes anymore than I do.

Like several people have said, AD will not make or break our program, but it is concerning. I'm hoping our players are getting in good workouts on their own and "if" we have a season we start winning. I'd really take 6 wins right now, with being competitive in most games (including Minn). I remember back when we had a great culture, Nebraska kids playing hard, training hard, being great teammates, leading by example, etc. It may take longer than all of would like.

After 15 pages, I think the conclusions are as follows: this is the worst recruiting news ever and will severely set back the program, except it's only somewhat bad, and also no big deal. Dickerson didn't come here because Frost blew it, Fleck is a better coach, Fleck is an idiot, Nebraska sucks but has better players, and he is afraid of competition.

Did i miss anything? :)

I was told by a very reliable source that happens to be a lifelong NU fan, that AD committed to Minn because "he" perceived that their culture is far superior to Nebraska. When I first heard that, I was taken aback and was in denial. He also said that he was very confident that AD would not flip to NU. AD felt he could get to the NFL better with MInn.

For the record, I don't like Fleck either, but this source is pretty knowledgeable and I respect his opinion. Our culture has a long ways to go are objectively Minnesota's is better than ours "right now". Hopefully that will change. Keep in mind that Fleck didn't inherit a rose garden either and it pains me to admit that Fleck has done a better job to this date than Frost. No one hopes this changes anymore than I do.

Like several people have said, AD will not make or break our program, but it is concerning. I'm hoping our players are getting in good workouts on their own and "if" we have a season we start winning. I'd really take 6 wins right now, with being competitive in most games (including Minn). I remember back when we had a great culture, Nebraska kids playing hard, training hard, being great teammates, leading by example, etc. It may take longer than all of would like.
Fleck took over a 9 win team and quickly took them to 5 win team, then 7 wins. He win 11 games last year but should have lost the first 3 games. He has had an easier schedule so he’s not as great as people make out to be.

Avante Dickerson is, unfortunately.

I respect what he has done at WMU and Minnsota, but I'm not a fan of his.

So he’s never visited the campus, but is knowledgeable about the fantastic culture...ok. And as others pointed out, the dumpster fire inherited by Fleck wasn’t pertaining to the play on the field, so his clean up was far easier because it was expected some housecleaning was needed. And his performance changes really started to show mid season of year 3, yet some feel he’s done better than Frost, who had a completely different type of dumpster fire to repair. As for making the pros, Winfield is a really good player, but it’s not like the gophers are putting a ton of secondary players in the league every year.

Fleck took over a 9 win team and quickly took them to 5 win team, then 7 wins. He win 11 games last year but should have lost the first 3 games. He has had an easier schedule so he’s not as great as people make out to be.
THIS! He inherited a team of Jerry Kill recruits, with some recruited by Kill but mostly coached by Kill's DC Claeys for a few years. Those players played hard for that man and is now playing hard for Gilligan!! Like I alluded to before, Frost inherited a bunch of softies who, FOR THE MOST PART, had no drive or motivation, though, of course, there were exceptions.

I lived in the Twin Cities for 4 years. Fleck is a, "flash in the pan!" Once Minny has a mediocre or poor season, half of the fans won't show up. They are like KS fans (not, K-State). Generally, Minniesotans would rather play hockey or skol than football! The kids and fans at schools who have hockey, are much more interested in hockey than football. Every kid in the Upper Midwest who plays h.s. hockey, dreams of a college, hockey scholly.

I think a previous poster said it very well--AD knew that he would "soar" at Minnehaha--not at dear ol' Nebraska U! Top down, our players' are, overall, better than Minnys!

I lived in the Twin Cities for 4 years. Fleck is a, "flash in the pan!" Once Minny has a mediocre or poor season, half of the fans won't show up. They are like KS fans (not, K-State). Generally, Minniesotans would rather play hockey or skol than football! The kids and fans at schools who have hockey, are much more interested in hockey than football. Every kid in the Upper Midwest who plays h.s. hockey, dreams of a college, hockey scholly.

I think a previous poster said it very well--AD knew that he would "soar" at Minnehaha--not at dear ol' Nebraska U! Top down, our players' are, overall, better than Minnys!
Thanks

After 15 pages, I think the conclusions are as follows: this is the worst recruiting news ever and will severely set back the program, except it's only somewhat bad, and also no big deal. Dickerson didn't come here because Frost blew it, Fleck is a better coach, Fleck is an idiot, Nebraska sucks but has better players, and he is afraid of competition.

Did i miss anything? :)
Nope, that about sums it up

I'm just telling you what someone who is close and I trust very much said. I didn't necessarily agree with it, but Minnesota is in a better place than Nebraska right now, like it or not. Notice I put the word "perceived" in quotation marks. I don't post often, so don't shoot the messenger.

I'm not any happier about missing 3 straight bowl games than most of the rest of you. I don't like Fleck, but he's been more successful thus far, unless I missed something? I'm not saying fire Frost either and I now realize it will take more time to change the culture.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back