• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Frankie's return to Lincoln

Could be, but I believe it happened before that. If we wouldn't have just given the job to Frankie things might have been real different. I agree Pederson is a jack wagon and did his fair share of damage, but the Frank Solich hiring to me was the root of the problem.
It's ancient history, but I disagree. Frank accepting the job without the ability to "retire" other assistant coaches when recruiting became more important was the root of the problem. Frank can coach, but he didn't get to start revamping the staff until his final year. I never understood how guys who could barely walk could be expected to hop on a plane to recruit midweek.

I would like to thank Frank simply for all he did for the state of Nebraska Football, not just as a head coach at Nebraska. His playing, his coaching high school, his time as an assistant when he could have gone elsewhere, his time recruiting players to Nebraska and helping shape the program. His time as the Freshman coach, basically the whole ball of wax, not just something specific.

Frank wasn't perfect and we can argue the should he have been or not been the head coach, but there are not a lot of people that did as much for the program as a whole over the years, as Frank. That is what I believe he should be recognized for.

I think he did give it his all, but he should have never been given the job. I think that was our biggest mistake. Frankie should have never been given the keys to that car and it has haunted NU football.
I disagree. I think his mistake was trying to be TO. By that i mean. He was the head coach and calling plays like TO did. I have always felt if he had turned play calling over to Turner and just focused on being a head coach. Things would have gone better. He was not ready for the whole kit and kabooble.

I disagree. I think his mistake was trying to be TO. By that i mean. He was the head coach and calling plays like TO did. I have always felt if he had turned play calling over to Turner and just focused on being a head coach. Things would have gone better. He was not ready for the whole kit and kabooble.
Agreed.
Some of that was ego IMO ... he never had a chance to do it under TO so he was going to do it now that he was running the show! Remember FS also named himself offensive coordinator.

Truthfully I am not sure giving it to Turner would've been the right move. Neither he nor FS had called plays previously. FS hired Dave Gillespie essentially to replace himself on the staff - I would've like him to hire an assistant who had previous play calling experience.

Frank should have had much more time after the one bad season to revamp. He went 9-3 the next year with new coaches including an up and coming D coordinator. I would have liked to see what they could have done the next couple of years. Solich made mistakes, but deserved the opportunity to learn and correct. He was done wrong by the admin and some fans. I don’t see how anyone can say firing Frank, when they did, was the right move given hindsight.

It's ancient history, but I disagree. Frank accepting the job without the ability to "retire" other assistant coaches when recruiting became more important was the root of the problem. Frank can coach, but he didn't get to start revamping the staff until his final year. I never understood how guys who could barely walk could be expected to hop on a plane to recruit midweek.

I agree with what you said about the assistant coaches, but I also lump Frank into that. I'm not saying he can't coach, but the job at NU was too big for him. We will never know and it is what it is. We could have gone with someone else that bombed as well, but just the fact that we possibly could have had Bob Stoops stings a little.

You are right, he wasn't ready for the entire program and he shouldn't have been hired. If he was a Top Tier coach he wouldn't have stayed at Ohio very long. He is in the correct spot for him and should not be a Power 5 coach. As stated above, it is ancient history and a lot of hindsight. Frost needs to get us winning again so we can talk about that.

As a side note ... look at the number of players on that 1998 team that played some sort of professional football.

1582227522014.png

Could be, but I believe it happened before that. If we wouldn't have just given the job to Frankie things might have been real different. I agree Pederson is a jack wagon and did his fair share of damage, but the Frank Solich hiring to me was the root of the problem.
Disagree. He knew the necessities of program success mm
I
Frank should have had much more time after the one bad season to revamp. He went 9-3 the next year with new coaches including an up and coming D coordinator. I would have liked to see what they could have done the next couple of years. Solich made mistakes, but deserved the opportunity to learn and correct. He was done wrong by the admin and some fans. I don’t see how anyone can say firing Frank, when they did, was the right move given hindsight.
Totally agree. He was an integral part of the Nebraska Football success story. He deserved to have the chance to continue his successes. He gave Nebraska his "all." The University (Steve Pederson) gave him the shaft. IMO>

Last edited:
It's humbling to remember that we have lost a MINIMUM of 4 games every year since Frank was fired for losing 3.
So, basically, we need to end this jinx and rehire Solich. Does he have to be HC? How about Assistant HC? Would that be enough to appease the football gods? I'm a little fuzzy on the protocol here...

#reversethecurse

You are right, he wasn't ready for the entire program and he shouldn't have been hired. If he was a Top Tier coach he wouldn't have stayed at Ohio very long. He is in the correct spot for him and should not be a Power 5 coach. As stated above, it is ancient history and a lot of hindsight. Frost needs to get us winning again so we can talk about that.
Sometimes it is about timing and opportunity.

Restrospective history allows us to suggest something different but the thing that hamstrung FS in my opinion was:

1. Following TO's wishes and not disrupt the coaching staff. If Bob Stoops or any other 3rd party was hired to be the coach he would've brought in his own staff. FS should have done that immediately. Surround himself with younger coaches who were recruiters.

2. Stop trying to be exactly like TO. Know yourself enough to know that you were not nor will not be the play caller that TO was. Appointing himself offensive coordinator and play caller said to me (a) he did not have enough good people around him - see point #1 above -and/or- (b) he believed he was on a level much closer to TO in skills and ability.

Sometimes it is about timing and opportunity.

Restrospective history allows us to suggest something different but the thing that hamstrung FS in my opinion was:

1. Following TO's wishes and not disrupt the coaching staff. If Bob Stoops or any other 3rd party was hired to be the coach he would've brought in his own staff. FS should have done that immediately. Surround himself with younger coaches who were recruiters.

2. Stop trying to be exactly like TO. Know yourself enough to know that you were not nor will not be the play caller that TO was. Appointing himself offensive coordinator and play caller said to me (a) he did not have enough good people around him - see point #1 above -and/or- (b) he believed he was on a level much closer to TO in skills and ability.

I have heard - I believe it was a former player but honestly can’t remember - that when it came to play-calling “Frankie played checkers and Tom played chess.”

I want to recognize all that Frankie did for this program. He absolutely gave his all. I can argue both sides of him having been hired as HC. But should he have been play-caller? No.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back