• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Frankie's return to Lincoln

Interestingly FS will be 76 this September. Looking at his list of coaches Tim Albin is the only coach with Nebraska connections on Frank's staff. TA is their Associate Head Coach and Offensive Coordinator.
Jimmy Burrow before this past season with NE. ties

It is hard to believe that FS has been at Ohio for 15 years. He's had 2 losing seasons (both in his first 4 years) and 2 others at 6-6. He's also been to 5 consecutive bowl games.

He's the all-time leader in MAC conference history for games coached and games won. He's the only Ohio coach with a winning % greater than 0.500. Only two other coaches Bill Hess (Ohio - '62 to '77) and Herm Deromedi (C. Michigan '78 to '93) have coached longer (16 years) than Frank.

Frank also leads the conference in bowl games coached and tied for bowl games won.

I've been a frequent critic of his tenure at Nebraska but I have to think that he's put together a Hall of Fame career at Ohio especially given the circumstances he inherited and sustained level of success he's achieved!

View attachment 37795
Talked to a Ohio Alum a few weeks ago. They LOOVE Frank. He will work as long as he wants to. His exact quote was, "We sure are glad you guys fired him." They were among the biggest losers in Div 1 football till FS got there. They had not been to a bowl since 1968 the same year they last won the MAC. 37 years without a bowl before he got there.

The idolatry of Frank Solich puzzles me. Yeah, he was a good player but, IMO, a mediocre coach. He advanced to a leve over his head and landed in a place that suits him perfectly.

Saban won as many championships as TO and Bob put together pal
Nick Saban isn't half the coach that Tom Osborne was pal.

He has benefited from blatant SEC favoritism in that he has reached multiple national titles without even winning his own division, first of all.

Second, Alabama and LSU are in recruiting hotbeds. How do you think he'd do at a Midwest school? Oh right, we don't have to ponder that question, because we got to see it happen.

Third, TO put together the very best college football team in history.

Fourth, TO produced more Academic All Americans in his 25 years than any 2 schools had in their entire histories combined at his retirement.

Fifth, TO isn't a total and complete scumbag.

I'm taking T.O. on my sideline over Saban any day of the week.

I'll tip my hat to Solich, if he's still coaching at Ohio in six years, but I can't imagine that will happen. Obviously, he'll be recognized in some way at the game. He's kind of a testament to just how hard it is for a HC to win at a high level in CFB. He's put together a very respectable career, but he's been a HC for 21 seasons, and has just one conference title. He's 29 wins away from reaching the 200 milestone, and by my count, there's only 20 coaches to reach that milestone at primarily D1/FBS schools. Does he try to hold on, and reach 200 wins, especially if they get 9-10 wins this season?

Nick Saban isn't half the coach that Tom Osborne was pal.

He has benefited from blatant SEC favoritism in that he has reached multiple national titles without even winning his own division, first of all.

Second, Alabama and LSU are in recruiting hotbeds. How do you think he'd do at a Midwest school? Oh right, we don't have to ponder that question, because we got to see it happen.

Third, TO put together the very best college football team in history.

Fourth, TO produced more Academic All Americans in his 25 years than any 2 schools had in their entire histories combined at his retirement.

Fifth, TO isn't a total and complete scumbag.

I'm taking T.O. on my sideline over Saban any day of the week.
You forgot “pal”

The idolatry of Frank Solich puzzles me. Yeah, he was a good player but, IMO, a mediocre coach. He advanced to a leve over his head and landed in a place that suits him perfectly.
Those that dislike or try to trash Solich at every turn puzzles me. The dude was nothing but CLASS. I had the pleasure of talking with him(very short talk) way back when we crushed Baylor in Waco, 48 - 7. That same game that saw 4 Huskers rush for over 100 yards each. Frank was a class act then and he still is. Sorry for some of you guys that he didn't win more and set the world on fire, but he is a 100% class act.

Those that dislike or try to trash Solich at every turn puzzles me. The dude was nothing but CLASS. I had the pleasure of talking with him(very short talk) way back when we crushed Baylor in Waco, 48 - 7. That same game that saw 4 Huskers rush for over 100 yards each. Frank was a class act then and he still is. Sorry for some of you guys that he didn't win more and set the world on fire, but he is a 100% class act.

He didn’t win more attitude is exactly why Huskers are in the pit now. He was the last coach to ever get the Huskers to even sniff a cahance at a title, yet not good enough and Nebraska has to keep blowing up the program trying to reinvent itself.

He didn’t win more attitude is exactly why Huskers are in the pit now. He was the last coach to ever get the Huskers to even sniff a cahance at a title, yet not good enough and Nebraska has to keep blowing up the program trying to reinvent itself.
And our record since he was fired is his fault? Effing hilarious if that wasn't so damn stupid.

And our record since he was fired is his fault? Effing hilarious if that wasn't so damn stupid.
I should have added, that I am talking about the "Man" and not the Coach. Perhaps he wasn't suited to be a P5 coach and maybe not Nebraska's HC, but to just trash the man, you guys are freaking hilarious, in a dumb way. Just saying.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back