• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Frankie's return to Lincoln

Nick Saban isn't half the coach that Tom Osborne was pal.

He has benefited from blatant SEC favoritism in that he has reached multiple national titles without even winning his own division, first of all.

Second, Alabama and LSU are in recruiting hotbeds. How do you think he'd do at a Midwest school? Oh right, we don't have to ponder that question, because we got to see it happen.

Third, TO put together the very best college football team in history.

Fourth, TO produced more Academic All Americans in his 25 years than any 2 schools had in their entire histories combined at his retirement.

Fifth, TO isn't a total and complete scumbag.

I'm taking T.O. on my sideline over Saban any day of the week.
Well put sir, well put.

I'll tip my hat to Solich, if he's still coaching at Ohio in six years, but I can't imagine that will happen. Obviously, he'll be recognized in some way at the game. He's kind of a testament to just how hard it is for a HC to win at a high level in CFB. He's put together a very respectable career, but he's been a HC for 21 seasons, and has just one conference title. He's 29 wins away from reaching the 200 milestone, and by my count, there's only 20 coaches to reach that milestone at primarily D1/FBS schools. Does he try to hold on, and reach 200 wins, especially if they get 9-10 wins this season?
Agree. He was born in 1944, so he'll be 82 if he is still coaching. I don't see that happening.

Saban won as many championships as TO and Bob put together pal
Gene stallings won natties at Alabama... Nebraska can’t find a coach to get to 500%. comparing one’s ability in the heart bed of the south (LSU & Alabama) to Lincoln Nebraska is quit different. Les miles and Ed orgeron also have National titles on their belts. Like Nicholas, good to average coaches elsewhere. What you get with a great coach at a school with such advantages, (not to mention, questionable morals) are titles...
Miami, FSU, USC, Florida have all won pretty easily while not on probation. Texas being the 1 incompetent institution than has yet to figure it out. Is Tom better? Maybe, maybe not. But to state that saban is king simply because he has more titles is lazy Alabama entitlement. I’m not sure what the conversion chart would Be regarding the difficulty of winning in Lincoln vs Tuscaloosa or Baton Rouge but I know it’s not 1-1 And Tom has his figure prints on all 5 in Lincoln

The idolatry of Frank Solich puzzles me. Yeah, he was a good player but, IMO, a mediocre coach. He advanced to a leve over his head and landed in a place that suits him perfectly.

Yeah he was only .700 at NU, just mediocre. And I’ll have some of what you’re snorting.

At least I think, but thinking for me can be dangerous! I believe he was saying taking Solich for granted and firing him because he “wasn’t winning enough” is part the last 2 decades of struggles.

Oh, okay. If so then, my bad.

yeah, I was agreeing with you, and Lurker worded it better. Kind of figured you read it wrong.:):thumbsup:

Yeah my bad....

You misread my point, pal!

Last edited:
Talked to a Ohio Alum a few weeks ago. They LOOVE Frank. He will work as long as he wants to. His exact quote was, "We sure are glad you guys fired him." They were among the biggest losers in Div 1 football till FS got there. They had not been to a bowl since 1968 the same year they last won the MAC. 37 years without a bowl before he got there.
It really is remarkable what he has done there for as long as he has done it. Glen Mason and Mark Mangino's tenure at Kansas come to mind but they were only there a fraction of the time. Frank has been their energizer bunny.

I did not always agree with Frank’s coaching, but I feel he got a raw deal being fired by Pederson. Frank gave his heart and soul to Nebraska football. There is no question about that.

I did not always agree with Frank’s coaching, but I feel he got a raw deal being fired by Pederson. Frank gave his heart and soul to Nebraska football. There is no question about that.

I think he did give it his all, but he should have never been given the job. I think that was our biggest mistake. Frankie should have never been given the keys to that car and it has haunted NU football.

Steve Pederson is the guy who ruined the program.

Could be, but I believe it happened before that. If we wouldn't have just given the job to Frankie things might have been real different. I agree Pederson is a jack wagon and did his fair share of damage, but the Frank Solich hiring to me was the root of the problem.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back