• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Is there a context to the Cam Jurgens / Dave Rimington comparison or are there are claims made by coaches?

Could have Cam made it as a TE? Probably for college. He was 6-4, 242 in HS (maybe 6-3 more accurately). His athletic numbers were good, but not exceptional for a TE: 4.98 40, 4.76 shuttle, 32" vertical. His best number was a 43 power throw (believe best in the SPARQ testing that year).

As a result, he was a guy who was able to project a lot of power, but for a sub-6-5 TE, he wasn't all that fast. There are some shorter TE's running around in the NFL, but all of them are fast. The guys who run in that high 4's for their 40 tend to be huge.

Even in the SPARQ testing in HS his 40 was higher than most, his shuttle was the highest tested, his vertical was in the middle of the pack.

40: Best 4.63, worst 5.18 (Cam 4.98)
shuttle: Best 4.20, worst 4.76 (Cam 4.76)
Vertical: Best 39.6, worst 23.6 (Cam 32.2)
Power Throw: Best 43, worst 23.6 (Cam 43)

Normally, I'd look at those numbers and think that the shuttle number would hurt him for Center, but when you watch him on film he moves his feet really well, so maybe just not training for the drill? Vertical is fine, power throw indicates explosive force and upper body strength that's useful on the interior. 40 great for a center, lousy for a TE. I would think he'd be a solid guy for a HBack TE, but not the guy I want to start or to work as a receiving TE.

Looks to me like you can debate the question of TE versus Center, but now that he's put on the weight and developed this year, it looks to me that his highest potential position was clearly Center and not TE

There are some interesting things being passed as facts here in this thread.

@MadRat, can you show where the coaching staff offensive line grades are, and/or a link to a comment from them saying where Jurgens ranks compared to the other 4 starters?

Also, can you provide a link to a coach saying that Jurgens has hands of stone?

In addition to Stoll, we have Austin Allen and Kurt Rafdal that are young contributors. All three of those players could step in and perform fairly well. Adding a 4th TE (to bring the roster total to 10 at that position), especially when the offense frequently doesn't even line up with a TE in the formation, seems like overkill. That's especially true when you realize a player can contribute right away on the offensive line.

There are some interesting things being passed as facts here in this thread.

@MadRat, can you show where the coaching staff offensive line grades are, and/or a link to a comment from them saying where Jurgens ranks compared to the other 4 starters?

Also, can you provide a link to a coach saying that Jurgens has hands of stone?

In addition to Stoll, we have Austin Allen and Kurt Rafdal that are young contributors. All three of those players could step in and perform fairly well. Adding a 4th TE (to bring the roster total to 10 at that position), especially when the offense frequently doesn't even line up with a TE in the formation, seems like overkill. That's especially true when you realize a player can contribute right away on the offensive line.
The hands of stone comment was from a forum member that reports different grading results than the guy that passed on the post-game grades. I am not certain if he has access to the same stuff as the other member. But the guy doesn't want to be bombarded with requests so he asked me not to provide his name. Nor did I relate everything. He is much more credible with people here than the guy making the hands of stone comment.

The hands of stone comment was from a forum member that reports different grading results than the guy that passed on the post-game grades. I am not certain if he has access to the same stuff as the other member. But the guy doesn't want to be bombarded with requests so he asked me not to provide his name. Nor did I relate everything. He is much more credible with people here than the guy making the hands of stone comment.
Sounds like a lot of secondhand rumors that you expect others here to blindly accept thirdhand from you.

I think part of the problem people have with you is that you pass things off as absolute fact with a heavy dose of know-it-all attitude.

I think you would accept the idea that any coach who believes he knows it all is probably not a very good coach. I believe that same mentality can be applied in other areas... including posting on the internet.

Sounds like a lot of secondhand rumors that you expect others here to blindly accept thirdhand from you.

I think part of the problem people have with you is that you pass things off as absolute fact with a heavy dose of know-it-all attitude.

If you mean people as in you goodnterribles, and Red Dead Redemption then you probably are correct. No amount of hard evidence will every sway you mainly because you do not like me. And I'm fine with that.

But I've posted the information provided directly to me, and it is secondhand information no different than anybody else here. Whether you like me or not is the only difference in the argument. This puts the problem with my statements on you, and in no way invalidates the information.

huskrthill said:
I think you would accept the idea that any coach who believes he knows it all is probably not a very good coach. I believe that same mentality can be applied in other areas... including posting on the internet.
Glad you got that revelation off your chest. I've yet to see any coach here state they know it all. But I have seen some coaches that post on here that did not know how to talk the lingo used in seminars and camps across the country. It makes me wonder how open they are to ideas out there.

Last edited:
If you mean people as in you goodnterribles, and Red Dead Redemption then you probably are correct. No amount of hard evidence will every sway you mainly because you do not like me. And I'm fine with that.

You don't think there is any chance that many people disagree with your opinions and the often arrogant, dismissive way you deliver them? I think @huskrthill has pretty much hit the nail on the head.

Of course you can dismiss my opinion because we frequently disagree.

But I've posted the information provided directly to me, and it is secondhand information no different than anybody else here. Whether you like me or not is the only difference in the argument. This puts the problem with my statements on you, and in no way invalidates the information.

Glad you got that revelation off your chest. I've yet to see any coach here state they know it all. But I have seen some coaches that post on here that did not know how to talk the lingo used in seminars and camps across the country. It makes me wonder how open they are to ideas out there.
I don't dislike you

You don't think there is any chance that many people disagree with your opinions and the often arrogant, dismissive way you deliver them? I think @huskrthill has pretty much hit the nail on the head.
Not to mention his drama queen posts, where he hypocritically criticizes others and whines about not being allowed an opinion when his arrogance and making dubious claims, personal attacks, and hyperbolic mischaracterizations of others is pointed out.
giphy.gif

Last edited:

That Raridon that played in the last spring!? Oh, my.

Our own staff is unlikely to be ranking Jurgens in the top 3 of the OL. That already says the experiment was a failure. The kid did what he was asked. It cost games. It still isn't getting better and actually gets dramatically worse as the level of competition increases.

But, hey, some of you liked Riley.
Good lord, you are a consistent gas bag. If a first year, undersized kid is near the top of the food chain, then we have no hope. Let’s take Pola-Gates, put a couple of pounds on him, and have him take over Barry’s spot. He’ll need to make all the calls, and be physically ready to handle linemen, lead blockers, the occasional receiver, some blitzing, and of course stopping the run. Do we think he’d rank out high?

Just do the board a favor and give it a rest. If your only path for perceived credibility is to run a redshirt freshman down, then you’ve already lost.

Good lord, you are a consistent gas bag. If a first year, undersized kid is near the top of the food chain, then we have no hope. Let’s take Pola-Gates, put a couple of pounds on him, and have him take over Barry’s spot. He’ll need to make all the calls, and be physically ready to handle linemen, lead blockers, the occasional receiver, some blitzing, and of course stopping the run. Do we think he’d rank out high?

Just do the board a favor and give it a rest. If your only path for perceived credibility is to run a redshirt freshman down, then you’ve already lost.
/golf clap

Oh, boy, Lars put his big boys pants on and tried to bully poor old madrat. And it did... nothing. Great work.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back