• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Bo Penguinis

Not at all... but for all the laughing everyone seems to do... Bo would likely have 3 or 4 conference championships by now if his Penguins made the switch to the OVC (which is more geographically fitting). The MVFC is just extremely tough... I think the conference top to bottom is better than Conference USA the Sun Belt.

The current Sagarin predictor has Nebraska at 71.71

NDSU is 74.55
SDSU is 68.14
N Iowa 59.79
Ill St 58.85
YSU 54.86

So basically every one of these teams would be realistically within arms reach of beating Nebraska on any given weekend. Think about that for a second... Bo's Penguins with his terrible recruiting and 63 full scholarships would only be a 14-17 point underdog to Nebraska on a neutral field.
Ever notice when people defend Bo it always contains "if not for this, Bo would have won x".

Ever notice when people defend Bo it always contains "if not for this, Bo would have won x".
I mean.. it is a pretty simple fact... His teams have beaten the tar out of all the other FCS schools they face (save 1 weird capitulation vs Butler and the title game in 2016)

Record vs FCS schools from other conferences 18-2 (losses to Bulter and James Madison)

I mean.. it is a pretty simple fact... His teams have beaten the tar out of all the other FCS schools they face (save 1 weird capitulation vs Butler and the title game in 2016)

Record vs FCS schools from other conferences 18-2 (losses to Bulter and James Madison)
It's a simple fact? All of the players that went to YSU would have ended up there if YSU was in another conference? Everything else would be exactly the same?

It's a simple fact? All of the players that went to YSU would have ended up there if YSU was in another conference? Everything else would be exactly the same?
I was talking hypothetical if YSU had joined the OVC for football... that was it. There has been talk over the years of them doing that since it makes more sense geographically. The OVC top dogs are Jack St, Eastern Kentucky etc... Teams that YSU is considered better than.

I was talking hypothetical if YSU had joined the OVC for football... that was it. There has been talk over the years of them doing that since it makes more sense geographically. The OVC top dogs are Jack St, Eastern Kentucky etc... Teams that YSU is considered better than.
Sure, but do you think everything else would have been the same going forward? Same recruits, same money, etc...? Do you think teams that play Bo year in and out would learn how to scheme against him better than say the once every few years they play?

@huskon4ever... how do you feel about the trip to Ohio this weekend? Such a huge road win last week... think they might have a bit of let down? Been really close in Youngstown the last 2 trips.

Apparently my concerns were unfounded. 21-0 start of the second quarter for NDSU. Knocked out Mays, their starting QB... He was laying with his back on the turf and his toes weren't pointing in a good direction.

Bison are looking darn good.

Apparently my concerns were unfounded. 21-0 start of the second quarter for NDSU. Knocked out Mays, their starting QB... He was laying with his back on the turf and his toes weren't pointing in a good direction.

Bison are looking darn good.

SDSU put 38 up on YSU and most of that was in a dominating second half after falling behind early for the win

YSU sinks or swims on Mays as the backups behind him are not good

Best Conference in FCS

42-7 at the half, Bison are rolling.

Pelini seems pretty calm actually. Had a few conversations with players, but not yelling or acting out.

Not at all... but for all the laughing everyone seems to do... Bo would likely have 3 or 4 conference championships by now if his Penguins made the switch to the OVC (which is more geographically fitting). The MVFC is just extremely tough... I think the conference top to bottom is better than Conference USA the Sun Belt.

The current Sagarin predictor has Nebraska at 71.71

NDSU is 74.55
SDSU is 68.14
N Iowa 59.79
Ill St 58.85
YSU 54.86

So basically every one of these teams would be realistically within arms reach of beating Nebraska on any given weekend. Think about that for a second... Bo's Penguins with his terrible recruiting and 63 full scholarships would only be a 14-17 point underdog to Nebraska on a neutral field.
Your claim is that Bo is THE best HC in the MVC. Why does he keep losing?

YSU lost 56-17 today to NDSU, and the game probably wasn’t even that close. THE best coach in the MVC, yet that was NDSU’s biggest win (point spread wise) of the year. Was this somehow yet another moral win?

Found this YSU fan post from today after that huge 56-17 loss:

I have officially sworn off the YSU Penguins until there is a coaching change. Although I am not a donor to the program, I probably spend close to $1,000 a season between tickets for my family, concessions, apparel, and drinks. We are done! I feel bad for these players. I feel bad for the fans. I feel bad for the student body. I wish the current students could experience what I did at YSU in the 90's.

Last edited:

Pelini seems pretty calm actually. Had a few conversations with players, but not yelling or acting out.

Here is the complete game. My daughters boy friend is from North Dakota and a huge Bison fan

Glad he was... his team was completely outclassed and he knew it. Feels bad to get boat raced I am sure. Hopefully he can rally his troops and win the next 3.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back