• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Some Perspective

As a whole, yes. There will usually be parts of a team that are better than the previous year and some that are not, that is the nature of college football and players moving on. The DL looks better, the DBs look better. The OL, WR look worse. Hmmmm, two areas that didn't have graduation losses to fill look better and two areas where players were lost don't look as good. Sounds about normal.

The offense lost 3 multi-year starters and are replacing them with: A walkon, a true freshman, a RS Freshman who has never played OL before. The defense is playing with basically 3 ILB and 3 OLB which is hindering results.

This year's OSU=last years Michigan. This year's CU, NIU, NW were better than comparable games last year. The only outlier is the Minnesota game, and since it is also the last game, the recency bias makes it seem Husker football is in dire straits. I kind of laugh at how fans reacted with "SF will need time" when hired and now "wow, SF can't coach" in less than 25 games.

I think your assessment is pretty good. These are the realities that are what this team is right now. The defense is playing about as well as I expected them to play. The offense is really not playing well at all for a lot of the reason's you have mentioned. combine the better defensive play with about the same offensive play as last year and you are probably sitting at 6-1 right now.

The problem is that Frost set this team up to lose by setting expectations sky high. The national media was all over Nebraska and Frost could have tempered this with a little some pump the breaks talk. He didn't though and that is where the back lash is coming form IMO.

I think your assessment is pretty good. These are the realities that are what this team is right now. The defense is playing about as well as I expected them to play. The offense is really not playing well at all for a lot of the reason's you have mentioned. combine the better defensive play with about the same offensive play as last year and you are probably sitting at 6-1 right now.

The problem is that Frost set this team up to lose by setting expectations sky high. The national media was all over Nebraska and Frost could have tempered this with a little some pump the breaks talk. He didn't though and that is where the back lash is coming form IMO.
This. If we couldn’t trust what he said then why should we now. He gave the fans the expectations and he should feel some pressure.

I read a number of posts that point to regression, saying that this team is worse than it was last year. Maybe that is true for some pieces of the team. Some positions have certainly improved and depth is being built too.

It is good to note that the 2 BIG losses are to the two teams currently leading their respective divisions. Sure, we wanted to win those. Yes, the scores were lopsided but I wouldn't call those losses to bad teams.

For the naysayers, do you really think the team today would lose to Troy. Yeah, that hurts but it is probably safe to say we would win that game with the roster we have now.

Not a sunshine pumper or heavy Kool-aid drinker, but I am also not one to say the sky is falling either. 4-3 is much better than 1-6.
With a backup walk on QB we very well could lose to Troy again.

There aren't many P5 teams that I can think of that I can definitely say we would win. Off the top of my head...Rutgers, Syracuse, ????

I mean, even KU or Oregon State wouldn't be automatic. I wouldn't feel particularly comfortable against any Big 12, SEC, or PAC-12 team.

Moving down to G5 and below...

I don't think we would win the American Athletic Conference. There's several teams there that could beat us easily.

The MAC we could possibly win but it wouldn't be an automatic, and same for the Sun Belt.

For us to be king of a conference with this year's team, you'd have to swim in the Missouri Valley.

Can disagree with your position. However, I remain alarmed with the lack of progress made on the offensive line. The lack of fundamentals and explosion out of their stances is inexcusable.

If this unit was just average, this season would feel a lot different instead they have drug the whole team with them into the sewer.

Check out the Jeremiah Sirles clip on todays practice report page. He summed it up nicely.

As a whole, yes. There will usually be parts of a team that are better than the previous year and some that are not, that is the nature of college football and players moving on. The DL looks better, the DBs look better. The OL, WR look worse. Hmmmm, two areas that didn't have graduation losses to fill look better and two areas where players were lost don't look as good. Sounds about normal.

The offense lost 3 multi-year starters and are replacing them with: A walkon, a true freshman, a RS Freshman who has never played OL before. The defense is playing with basically 3 ILB and 3 OLB which is hindering results.

This year's OSU=last years Michigan. This year's CU, NIU, NW were better than comparable games last year. The only outlier is the Minnesota game, and since it is also the last game, the recency bias makes it seem Husker football is in dire straits. I kind of laugh at how fans reacted with "SF will need time" when hired and now "wow, SF can't coach" in less than 25 games.
I really don't know what you are watching that I am not to make the call that "as a whole" this year's version is better. With the exception of our losses to Michigan and Troy (we had Bunch at QB) last year's Huskers looked much better even in their losses. Granted their record this year is better and that is all that matters but I honestly believe last year's team beats this years by 10 points minimum. Our O-Line is significantly worse, we are not getting the production out of the run game, most importantly our QB play is much worse, our D-Line MAY be a bit better but we have found out teams that can run continue to do so at will, our LB play is worse, and I would argue that our secondary is about the same. Let's not forget we don't have a kicker. I'm not being critical of you specifically but just curious as others have said the same thing. I see nothing that convinces me that we are better overall this year.

Perspective.

It's hard to get perspective right now, because the picture that's embedded in everyone's mind is the shellacking by the gophers. I think the game Saturday will tell us where this year's team is headed. Hopefully the "cleansing" of the bye week is complete.

This. If we couldn’t trust what he said then why should we now. He gave the fans the expectations and he should feel some pressure.
Are you always this big of a Debbie downer? All the hype was around Martinez. Frost isn't going to downplay his own qb you grumpy old fart.

If he won't adjust his roster than we are in for a train wreck. Martinez wasn't getting it done. Over emphasis on Robinson set him up for injury on an otherwise routine tackle. The wide receivers aren't getting the ball. The best runningback on the team spends most of the game on the sideline. Sitting back and letting the D become predictable and repetitive in nature with undisciplined techniques. These are all Frost's decisions. We probably do not lost at least one of the games we did. We probably actually show up in the two ass kickings we received. We were only down 14-0 to Minnesota and they came out absolutely flat doing the same broken things we ended the first half. People forget we had a lot of early success against Minnesota and then absolutely refused to go back to what was working. So when fans gripe, it is griping that is deserved.

Last edited:

If he won't adjust his roster than we are in for a train wreck. Martinez wasn't getting it done. Over emphasis on Robinson set him up for injury on an otherwise routine tackle. The wide receivers aren't getting the ball. The best runningback on the team spends most of the game on the sideline. Sitting back and letting the D become predictable and repetitive in nature with undisciplined techniques. These are all Frost's decisions. We probably do not lost at least one of the games we did. We probably actually show up in the two ass kickings we received. We were only down 14-0 to Minnesota and they came out absolutely flat doing the same broken things we ended the first half. People forget we had a lot of early success against Minnesota and then absolutely refused to go back to what was working. So when fans gripe, it is griping that is deserved.

Hmmm, anonymous message board poster or a coach with an undefeated record on his resume? I just don't know who to go with......

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back