• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Some Perspective

So we don’t make them adjust to us? ;)
In seriousness, I agree.

I don't think it is possible for SF and Co to think they are just going to come in and do what they did at UCF. I think they have already figured out that they better play some defense. I think they have figured out we better be able to do some downhill running. That doesn't meant they can't do most of what they want to do.

My point is that it is about style of play really. You have to conform to the style of play in your conference if you want to be competitive in it. B1G is smash mouth football for the most part. OSU runs a spread system, but it is very downhill running. Then you throw in the defense and it is what it is.

In the BIG, I may agree due to the punishment players receive. It is very difficult for a spread offense to stand up over the course of a season to those beatings.

In general, I do not agree though. The Nebraska teams of the 90s did not conform to the Big 12 style of play and it was a competitive advantage.

In the BIG, I may agree due to the punishment players receive. It is very difficult for a spread offense to stand up over the course of a season to those beatings.

In general, I do not agree though. The Nebraska teams of the 90s did not conform to the Big 12 style of play and it was a competitive advantage.

Really? What teams in the Big 12 in the 90's weren't primarily a down hill running team? Lots had the passing element but none were super pass happy until OU brought in Hal Mumme's pass happy stuff with Mike Leach in 1998. He then took it to TT with him after Spike Dikes retired. Missouri didn't move to it until the early 2000. Art Briles brought it to Baylor in 2008. Mangino didn't get to Kansas until the early 2000 from OU.

Colorado was a run first team. KSU was a run first team. Snyder was the OC at Iowa for years. A&M run first. Texas run first, remember Ricky Williams.

You are confusing the fact that Nebraska had the element of the option in their game with the fact that they were a smash mouth run down hill team. Go back and watch some old games from the 90's. They ran a lot more stretch zone than option. The stretch zone was bread and butter for Nebraska.

I’ll add, respect gets respect
I think a lot of times you come off as sarcastic. I’ve been reading this board a long time and usually get what your saying. Some others get offended really quick. We disagree on a lot of things but I have only ever really been upset with one poster. He’s no longer on the board.

Really? What teams in the Big 12 in the 90's weren't primarily a down hill running team? Lots had the passing element but none were super pass happy until OU brought in Hal Mumme's pass happy stuff with Mike Leach in 1998. He then took it to TT with him after Spike Dikes retired. Missouri didn't move to it until the early 2000. Art Briles brought it to Baylor in 2008. Mangino didn't get to Kansas until the early 2000 from OU.

Colorado was a run first team. KSU was a run first team. Snyder was the OC at Iowa for years. A&M run first. Texas run first, remember Ricky Williams.

You are confusing the fact that Nebraska had the element of the option in their game with the fact that they were a smash mouth run down hill team. Go back and watch some old games from the 90's. They ran a lot more stretch zone than option. The stretch zone was bread and butter for Nebraska.

You are correct that I am thinking of the option attack.

Regarding conforming to conference play, would it be correct in saying that Nebraska relied more heavily on a different rushing style, using a quarterback's feet as a primary weapon whereas other Big 12 teams did not. I remember Kordell Stewart but not others. Did other Big 12 teams use more of a pro-style offense? That was my thinking but maybe I am wrong (that is going back pretty far for me). Perhaps that would still be conforming to conference style but I wouldn't call Navy's option offense the same style as BIG offenses today.

Last edited:
I understand and I do agree. It's the supporting cast that allows them to flourish.

However, for those out there that look to *s to determine talent and recruiting rankings, I find it strange that a 4* high school recruit to Alabama/Clemson/OSU...etc. would be seen as different (superior if you will) than a 4* high school recruit to Nebraska?
We only get four or five actual consensus four stars a year. Alabama gets 20 or more and a few five stars sprinkled in. Our experts say a guy is a four star he might be on one site but not all three. Not to mention Frost has already lost five or six players from his first class. They where rushed to put that class together. It’s kind of like everyone getting excited for the one big bodied receiver from Bellevue. We need three or four not one. You have to figure a couple will be busts.

You are correct that I am thinking of the option attack.

Regarding conforming to conference play, would it be correct in saying that Nebraska relied more heavily on a different rushing style, using a quarterback's feet as a primary weapon whereas other Big 12 teams did not. I remember Kordell Stewart but not others. Did other Big 12 teams use more of a pro-style offense? That was my thinking but maybe I am wrong (that is going back pretty far for me). Perhaps that would still be conforming to conference style but I wouldn't call Navy's option offense the same style as BIG offenses today.

Up until about like 1991 Colorado ran the I bone offense which is a triple option offense. They still had the element of option in their game with Stewart, they moved farther away from it to more pro style with later QB's. They still wanted to run the ball a lot. KSU had more option in their game. Chad May was a strict pro style guy for them in 93 and 94 but Johnathan Beasley, Ell Roberson, and another guy I can't think of were duel threat.

I think you are still missing the point though. You are stuck on option football. I am talking about wanting to run the ball effectively. Big 12 teams of the 90's wanted to run the ball. B1G teams want to run the ball effectively for the most part. I am not saying Nebraska needs to run Iowa or Wisconsin's offense. Ideally I think SF wants his offense to look like OSU's and PSU's. Which is running and passing the ball well out of a spread offense.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back