• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Some Perspective

blackshirt red

Recruit
2 Year Member
I read a number of posts that point to regression, saying that this team is worse than it was last year. Maybe that is true for some pieces of the team. Some positions have certainly improved and depth is being built.

It is good to note that the 2 BIG losses are to the two teams currently leading their respective divisions. Sure, we wanted to win those. Yes, the scores were lopsided but I wouldn't call those losses to bad teams.

For the naysayers, do you really think the team today would lose to Troy? Yeah, that hurt but it is probably safe to say we would win that game with the roster we have now.

Not a sunshine pumper or heavy Kool-aid drinker, but I am also not one to say the sky is falling either. 4-3 is much better than 1-6.

Last edited:

I read a number of posts that point to regression, saying that this team is worse than it was last year. Maybe that is true for some pieces of the team. Some positions have certainly improved and depth is being built though too.

It is good to note that the 2 BIG losses are to the two teams currently leading their perspective divisions. Sure, we wanted to win those. Yes, the scores were lopsided but I wouldn't call those losses to bad teams.

For the naysayers, do you really think the team today would lose to Troy. Yeah, that hurts but it is probably safe to say we would win that game with the roster we have now.

Not a sunshine pumper or heavy Kool-aid drinker, but I am also not one to say the sky is falling either. 4-3 is much better than 1-6.
Certainly the season could go either way from this point. Wisconsin lost to Illinois. Iowa isn’t a world beater. Both are at home.

Time to earn that 52 million that’s doled out from the B1G tv fund annually. (thought that was much more sensible to write rather it’s time to start earning the all time highest paychecks for a coaching staff in NU’s history)

Last edited:

I think this week could be a huge tell as to how the rest of the season will go. If they took a good part of the off week to work on fundamentals I could see us starting to show something. Right now its the simple things that are killing this team.

The simple things, that's the frustrating part.

I read a number of posts that point to regression, saying that this team is worse than it was last year. Maybe that is true for some pieces of the team. Some positions have certainly improved and depth is being built though too.

It is good to note that the 2 BIG losses are to the two teams currently leading their perspective divisions. Sure, we wanted to win those. Yes, the scores were lopsided but I wouldn't call those losses to bad teams.

For the naysayers, do you really think the team today would lose to Troy. Yeah, that hurts but it is probably safe to say we would win that game with the roster we have now.

Not a sunshine pumper or heavy Kool-aid drinker, but I am also not one to say the sky is falling either. 4-3 is much better th't an 1-6.

Can disagree with your position. However, I remain alarmed with the lack of progress made on the offensive line. The lack of fundamentals and explosion out of their stances is inexcusable.

If this unit was just average, this season would feel a lot different instead they have drug the whole team with them into the sewer.

Yeah, we'd lose to Troy. Definitely last year's Troy team, which was 10-3. This year's Troy team may not be as good -- but they still beat South Alabama more convincingly than did Nebraska (granted, most teams beat South Alabama more convincingly than Nebraska did).

We spent the entire offseason and every day during this season -- leading up to the Minnesota game -- hearing about how Minnesota was overrated, they played no one, they are frauds, Nebraska is better -- until we get our asses handed to us. Okay.

Does the team on the field look better than it did last season?

Yeah, we'd lose to Troy. Definitely last year's Troy team, which was 10-3. This year's Troy team may not be as good -- but they still beat South Alabama more convincingly than did Nebraska (granted, most teams beat South Alabama more convincingly than Nebraska did).

We spent the entire offseason and every day during this season -- leading up to the Minnesota game -- hearing about how Minnesota was overrated, they played no one, they are frauds, Nebraska is better -- until we get our asses handed to us. Okay.

no...not close

Still have 5 games left to make the final assessment.

As a whole, yes. There will usually be parts of a team that are better than the previous year and some that are not, that is the nature of college football and players moving on. The DL looks better, the DBs look better. The OL, WR look worse. Hmmmm, two areas that didn't have graduation losses to fill look better and two areas where players were lost don't look as good. Sounds about normal.

The offense lost 3 multi-year starters and are replacing them with: A walkon, a true freshman, a RS Freshman who has never played OL before. The defense is playing with basically 3 ILB and 3 OLB which is hindering results.

This year's OSU=last years Michigan. This year's CU, NIU, NW were better than comparable games last year. The only outlier is the Minnesota game, and since it is also the last game, the recency bias makes it seem Husker football is in dire straits. I kind of laugh at how fans reacted with "SF will need time" when hired and now "wow, SF can't coach" in less than 25 games.

Certainly the season could go either way from this point. Wisconsin lost to Illinois. Iowa isn’t a world beater. Both are at home.

Time to earn that 52 million that’s doled out from the B1G tv fund annually. (thought that was much more sensible to write rather it’s time to start earning the all time highest paychecks for a coaching staff in NU’s history)

Just curious, but how many other football coaching staff also are earning the highest paychecks in their schools history?? I would bet most of them. It is a different world today than 10, 20, 50 years ago. Your feelings have been made obvious, but if you really want to complain about money spent on football in college sports, perhaps you should just spend more time cheering for the bowling, track or cross country teams. I'm sure their budgets are much more similar to past years.

As a whole, yes. There will usually be parts of a team that are better than the previous year and some that are not, that is the nature of college football and players moving on. The DL looks better, the DBs look better. The OL, WR look worse. Hmmmm, two areas that didn't have graduation losses to fill look better and two areas where players were lost don't look as good. Sounds about normal.

The offense lost 3 multi-year starters and are replacing them with: A walkon, a true freshman, a RS Freshman who has never played OL before. The defense is playing with basically 3 ILB and 3 OLB which is hindering results.

This year's OSU=last years Michigan. This year's CU, NIU, NW were better than comparable games last year. The only outlier is the Minnesota game, and since it is also the last game, the recency bias makes it seem Husker football is in dire straits. I kind of laugh at how fans reacted with "SF will need time" when hired and now "wow, SF can't coach" in less than 25 games.

Yes, 100%. I think this is spot on.

Honestly, youth on the Oline concerned me before the season. For the same reasons, Dline concerns me next year. How many seniors are playing on the 2-deep for the front seven? Yes, growing pains indeed. Not as concerning with Green on board. Getting him to Nebraska was huge.

As for Minnesota, their new Defensive Coordinator helped them finish last season strong. Easier to say after the fact, but it wasn't too difficult to foresee. When they aren't trying to dig out of a hole, the running game is more of an option and it changes the game. Minnesota usually has a strong ground attack, but average passing game.

I think this week could be a huge tell as to how the rest of the season will go. If they took a good part of the off week to work on fundamentals I could see us starting to show something. Right now its the simple things that are killing this team.

I agree, the Indiana game will be very telling. This is a game Nebraska should win, especially coming out of a bye regardless of who is able to come back from injury. It should be a good, close game. Indiana is good this year and one win away from bowl eligibility. They want to clinch that as soon as possible and let's be real, that is harder to do in the BIG East. In the program's history, you may be able to count on one hand, the number of bowl games they have played. They are historically good... for an Indiana team.

Bigger picture. Combined with what I expect to be a much tougher schedule in 2020, I think it is very probable that a better Nebraska team will have a worse record next year and this conversation will continue. A complete rebuild, done right, takes time.

If Pickering was not hurt, we don't lose to CU.

I will give you your premise about OSU and despite others bias about MN, they are not bad this year.

But looking forward to the last five games of this season, honest assessment is we have big troubles ahead due to:

Offense:
1. All our playmakers are gone/injured.
MW: gone
Wan'dale: injured, status unclear
JD: injured
AM: Injured, status unclear
2. O-line: underperforming and no apparent changes made during bye week to fix that.

Defense:
1. Performing better than last year but no playmakers to overcome an offense that is not scoring.

This defense was getting three turnovers a game and then nothing. With the offense so severely handicapped that it is unlikely to score more than 24 points/game, the defense needs to find at least 2 turnovers to get the offense short field.
2. Where are the sacks that are part of Chinanders defense?
3. Need to move JoJo from Nickel back up to outside LB again so that he can be the disruptive player he was last year sacking/harassing the QB.
4. Can Green or Robinson be used to provide sacks s we need far more big plays out of our defense than we have seen in the last four games, in the next five games if we are to get to bowl eligible.
Need S&T: Sacks and Turnovers in abundance in the next five games our we could easily go 1-4 in those games. If S&T return we could go 4-1! Got to find defensive play makers, just going 3 and out will not be enough!!

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back