• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

We Are a Bad Football Team

• Thread starter Deleted member 3570
  • Start date

We were headed down this path with Solich. The poor recruiting and blowouts started with him and it’s just snowballed. His last nine win season before he got fired was not any more impressive than the nine wins season we got out of Riley. The revisionist history under the man and where we were going never ceases to amaze me. There was a lot of bad football played under him once McBride retired and Tom’s talent graduated.
Things were infinitely better then than they have been since.

At least you're honest about your ridiculous lack of patience. Its ugly but it sounds like you're ready to bail exactly 1 1/2 years into a coaching staff. Really beyond ridiculous.

I'm a Frost guy, but he and this staff deserve some grief for the lack of improvement and what looks more like regression every game. Sure, injuries play a role, but this was Minnesota. Minnesota.

Three more season like this? Then Frost was the wrong hire. Better keep to not paying payouts? I think someone better comes along in the meantime and we can pay Frost out to get them.
I agree three more seasons like this then frost was the wrong hire but we have to give him three more years. At the very least the next coach will actually have some better players to use when they take over if frost isn’t the guy.

Things were infinitely better then than they have been since.
I remember getting blown out by Colorado, getting blown out by Iowa State, getting blown out by Penn State, getting blown out by Kansas State. Getting blown out by Missouri. I remember bumbling around with Ole Miss in a bowl game. They were better but there were obvious signs of where we were headed if you were willing to take off the Big Red Blinders.

We were headed down this path with Solich. The poor recruiting and blowouts started with him and it’s just snowballed. His last nine win season before he got fired was not any more impressive than the nine wins season we got out of Riley. The revisionist history under the man and where we were going never ceases to amaze me. There was a lot of bad football played under him once McBride retired and Tom’s talent graduated.

Yes and no, in my opinion.

We panicked. We believed Nebraska winning 9 games was a birthright (ha ha) and we had a nitwit for an AD at the time who thought he was the savior of the program. We blew up what worked. We've blown up the program 5 times in 18 years thinking that the only problem with Nebraska football was lousy coaching. Wrong.

The first thing we need to come to grips with is the reality that college football has drastically changed. The money has made everyone a player in building facilities, hiring coaches, and recruiting.

I hate to say it, but what made Nebraska special was the fact we cared. In an era before college football become an insane money maker, we spent the money. We built the facilities. We were at the cutting edge. Now, everyone has a massive budget and great facilities. The recruiting services publicize who and where the talent is. It's harder to fly under the radar.

Bottom line is that while Frank may not have ultimately been the answer, we blew the program to smithereens when he was fired in a panic move. That set us adrift in a brand new world of college football without a foundation. Frost is essentially trying to rebuild that foundation brick by brick. We have to give him time to do that.

The program has been the model of instability over the last 18 years. 5 coaches (every 3.3 years). Offensively, we ahve gone from option/running football to WCO, to spread/zone read-ish, to a more traditional NFL-style offense, back to a spread. We have gone from a 4-3 to a 3-4 and have had by my count 7 defensive coordinators since 2002.

I think our recruiting is overrated.

In 2015, 4 of our top 5 recruits are either out of the program or backups
In 2016, 5 of our top 10 recruits are out of the program
In 2017, 4 of our top 5 recruits are out of the program

So, once you account for that, while on signing day we won the West, I'm not sure that really pans out on paper.

I agree with you about the Solich curse although I think this snowball started to run downhill in 2001 in Boulder when we got stomped by Colorado. We lost our mojo that day.

Anyway, this is a shell of the program. There are so many holes on the team it is hard to comprehend. The OL needs a total overhaul. We need WRs and LBs in the worst possible way. I love Mo Berry's fire, but he's not a very good linebacker. Honas is fair. Alex Davis shouldn't be playing football.

Frost needs five more years, minimum. The program craves stability and frankly, if he fails, I don't know where the program goes.

I have to guard my expectations. I don't think any of the changes that have happened in college football over the last 30 years have been to Nebraska's favor. The geographic disadvantage facing the Huskers is daunting.
Agree, good points

This team is terrible. I think they are a testament to how far Nebraska football has fallen. What I was completely wrong about was that Frost's coaching would help to overcome the players substantial physical inadequacies. That clearly isnt happening. Nothing good is going to come from this season. I will be surprised if they get 2 more wins. Who knows what will come from recruiting in the next few years...but the difficulties involved in turning this mess are clearly massive.

Last edited:
You've been a sunshine pumper. So I totally accept your disgruntled take. It doesn't look good and you get credit for keeping the faith longer than some of us (me). Team is terrible.
Oh mister you have all the patience and condemning thoughts for those that don't. Super big guy and vast supporter. No reason to post anything critical or evaluative except to just get called out by you for being less of a fan than you.

Team sucks. It's on the coaches. My take. You can have yours. Attack me. Keep it simple. Don't actually analyze the team or provide assessment. Just keep lobbying for many many years for expectations to be valid.

I see a weak team. You see a strong something, I forget. I see a weak coaching staff. You see a what? Future I suppose. I see no progress, you see avenues of calling people out for what?

Hey. Take this team. Embrace it. You like it. Good for you. Have at it. You win. You are the keeper of the faith. I'll come crawling to you when it happens. Enjoy it then. I'll keep having different expectations until then.
Relax man. We are all upset and we all care. Thill is a good guy.

I'm a Frost guy, but he and this staff deserve some grief for the lack of improvement and what looks more like regression every game. Sure, injuries play a role, but this was Minnesota. Minnesota.
Fleck had them ready to play with a good game plan. Never thought their o and d- lines would manhandle Nebraska. They’re playing with confidence and Nebraska not so much.
Still think Frost will turn things around but it’s going to take a lot longer.

So we should fire the staff and... what? Do you have a solution, or are you just a guy that wants to complain?

I don't have a problem calling out Frost. And the whole staff. I agree with you that firing the staff would be an overreaction. But I think it's fair to discuss some insufficiencies right about now. It's ok to hold them accountable. I think to ask for action versus complaint is a bit extreme. This is a discussion board. It's not fair to say if you want to complain then you are for firing the staff. There's probable cause for feeling suspicious about Frost and company right about now. The team is terrible under Frost. The reasons why are open for debate. I tend to think he isn't ready for this stage. Some think that's blasphemy. Yet watch the same game I do.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back