• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Coaching search....

I like this idea - but I'm kind of stuck wondering if Michael Lewis isn't the best assistant that we could lure. I think he's going to be a top coach, and I'm not the only one. He played for Bobby Knight, he's been around a lot of good basketball. When offensive plays happen, odds are he's called them. I know it sounds crazy, but I like Mike.

To the bold...yes. Last night, I caught part of Sports Nightly when Miles was on as he was talking about Lewis being like an offensive coordinator who he trusts completely to take care of all things on the offensive side of the ball. Miles said something to the effect that early in the game Lewis' hair is on fire as he's calling plays and wanting everyone out of his way; as the game goes on, Miles said that he himself gets a little more involved and will even veto some things that are being called.

As I think back to the game against Rutgers, I remember telling my son I liked how the offense was moving the ball as the team was getting cuts to the basket with easy layups which is very good for confidence when coming off a game where the shooting was bad. However, we saw less and less of that as the game wore on. Soooooo....I have to wonder if Miles should continue to trust Lewis and stay less involved.

Last edited:
To the bold...yes. Last night, I caught part of Sports Nightly when Miles was on as he was talking about Lewis being like an offensive coordinator who he trusts completely to take care of all things on the offensive side of the ball. Miles said something to the effect that early in the game Lewis' hair is on fire as he's calling plays and wanting everyone out of his way; as the game goes on, Miles said that he himself gets a little more involved and will even veto some things that are being called.

As I think back to the game against Rutgers, I remember telling my son I liked how the offense was moving the ball as the team was getting cuts to the basket with easy layups which is very good for confidence when coming off a game where the shooting was bad. However, we saw less and less of that as the game wore on. Soooooo....I have to wonder if Miles should continue to trust Lewis and stay less involved.
Past interviews have seemed to say that the spacing issues that they had 2 years ago were Lewis's to fix. And also I think Miles lets the assistants manage substitutions most of the time. Playing the starters the entire second half is his override I think. I think Miles is a good CEO for the basketball team, but maybe not the best bench coach.

Past interviews have seemed to say that the spacing issues that they had 2 years ago were Lewis's to fix. And also I think Miles lets the assistants manage substitutions most of the time. Playing the starters the entire second half is his override I think. I think Miles is a good CEO for the basketball team, but maybe not the best bench coach.
Yeah, I've heard that, too, and think the same about him as a bench coach. In the game where the starters played the entire second half, I heard him say that he was going to sub, but the assistant coaches talked him out of it.

I don't know if we are talking Tim Miles or Mike Riley here.

I don't know if we are talking Tim Miles or Mike Riley here.
FWIW - I think Tim Miles is a good recruiter, very solid defensive coach, and brings all the fight and intensity you could ask for in pretty much every facet of the program. Miles is trying to become a better coach. Where he doesn't excel is the bench, and offense in general, and roster management. I don't think Mike Riley checked any of those boxes except for recruiting, and that's a maybe.

Last edited:
I like this idea - but I'm kind of stuck wondering if Michael Lewis isn't the best assistant that we could lure. I think he's going to be a top coach, and I'm not the only one. He played for Bobby Knight, he's been around a lot of good basketball. When offensive plays happen, odds are he's called them. I know it sounds crazy, but I like Mike.

It’s nearly impossible to change a culture when you keep pieces of the old one in place. There was a comment made on the football board that rings true here (credit to ***):

‘Helton is/was a players coach and is now going to try and get tough with the kids in an effort to save his job and it will backfire massively. You can’t go soft to hard unless you’re in the bedroom’.

This isn’t exclusive to Head Coaches. I knew this head coach, older guy who retired. He wasn’t a marshmallow, but he didn’t crack the whip late in his career. He hired a new assistant a year or so before he retired, who happened to bring an extremely talented forward, and he fell into line with HC’s program. With the retirement they brought in a new head coach, a total ball buster, who ended the laid back days. He kept the one assistant, who of course tried to morph himself into a ball buster as well, but it never worked. The players never bought into the assistant, he couldn’t shed the association with the soft past.

If we change coaches, my guess would be it will be with a clean slate.

But why would he want to? He isn't the Husker Homer that we are?

you just have to money-whip him, back up the Brinks truck, it'd be worth taking a swing at. Its like an Aroldis Chapman fastball, if you barrel that thing, its going somewhere fast

I’m now in favor of something I’m never in favor of: a mid season firing. The only way to salvage this season is to get Miles out and let the assistants have a go with motivation and system installation.

This obviously isn’t working and Miles is going to be released at the end of the season, so why wait? Let’s see what the team can do.

It would also let Moos have some conversations out in the open.

Last edited:

I’m now in favor of something I’m never in favor of: a mid season firing. The only way to salvage this season is to get Miles out and let the assistants have a go with motivation and system installation.

This obviously isn’t working and Miles is going to be released at the end of the season, so why wait? Let’s see what the team can do.

It would also let Moos have some conversations out in the open.
Absolutely it. Nothing in the world less attractive than a school punting a coach mid season who hasn’t done something morally reprehensible, or quit on his team, and Tim has done neither. Toss in the fact that Miles is generally well liked by the media and fellow coaches, and you instantly become the villain.

Zero upside in this idea in my opinion.

Absolutely it. Nothing in the world less attractive than a school punting a coach mid season who hasn’t done something morally reprehensible, or quit on his team, and Tim has done neither. Toss in the fact that Miles is generally well liked by the media and fellow coaches, and you instantly become the villain.

Zero upside in this idea in my opinion.
Making the tournament isn’t “upside?”

Miles isn’t long for Lincoln, so why not try to do something to save the season for Palmer, Watson, and Copeland? Nobody in the coaching profession interested in this job would be put off by that.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back