• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

WSU retrospective article on Moos

We're all interim when you get right down to it.

Don't know if you've been directly asked this question or not, but I'll throw it out there.

Since Moos is without question unsuitable for the position, who, in your opinion, was the 'right' person to hire?
ABBPM

(Anyone But Bo Pelini Bill Moos)

Last edited:

Moos had a mandate day one of his hiring, fire MR and hire SF. No matter who was hired B&G had a goal. Could some AD's have failed in that task, sure. I don't think it had to be Moos though, I am pretty sure many competent AD's could have accomplished it. As said above, if TO signed off it is a safe bet SF was coming.C
You're reading into the past a level of knowledge that you know now but didn't know then. First, other than rabid fans who were already gungho for Frost, very few people in mid-October would have said that Frost was the only option. Go back and read the discussions here. Second, I doubt that the chancellor and president are as knowledgeable about the hiring and firing of football coaches as you assume. Third, ADs aren't hired from the outside in the manner that you're describing. I do not doubt that Moos was expected to fire Riley, but Frost was just showing up on the national radar at that time. If B&G wanted a puppet, they would have hired one. They hired Moos because he had done an impeccable job of hiring coaches before.

Last edited:
You're reading into the past a level of knowledge that you know now but didn't know then. First, other than rabid fans who were already gungho for Frost, very few people in mid-October would have said that Frost was the only option. Go back and read the discussions here. Second, I doubt that the chancellor and president are as knowledgeable about the hiring and firing of football coaches as you assume. Third, ADs aren't hired from the outside in the manner that you're describing. I do not doubt that Moos was expected to fire Riley, but Frost was just showing up on the national radar at that time. If B&G wanted a puppet, they would have hired one. They hired Moos because he had done an impeccable job of hiring coaches before.

Never said Moos was a puppet. He had a mandate to replace MR with SF, no doubt.

C

Last edited:
You are correct. Mid October UCF had not yet played anyone.

Everything, every person and every piece had to be in place, from Bounds to Green to Davison to Moos, and everyone in between. It took the entire NU system to be on the same page, in order to make it right for SF to take the job. The first step was to get rid of that snake perlman.

When Pelini made the comment about the administration being whack (I don't remember the exact wording) I thought he was just making excuses. But after the pieces finally fell in place, with Moos the final piece, it all made sense.

Agree with the bolded.

Perlman was good for DONU, but not so much in his involvement with the AD's and AD.

Agree with the bolded.

Perlman was good for DONU, but not so much in his involvement with the AD's and AD.

I've heard that. I'm not close enough to the academics administration side of the NU system to be able to make that judgment, but I imagine someone like Ronnie Green could be at least that competent for UNL on the academic side. It just seemed like HP was deliberately out to decimate the football program. If that was all just pure dumb luck, well, I guess that's why schmoes like me shouldn't be university chancellors.

Never said Moos was a puppet. He had a mandate to replace MR with SF, no doubt.

C
There was no mandate. He was simply told how important the football program was to Nebraska and that there were struggles with the last hiring of coaches by the previous AD. 1-6 to end the season took care of the rest.

With the previous AD being fired right after the N. Illinois loss and everyone in NE gushing about how Frost was doing at UCF I am not sure if a mandate would have been necessary. I think Moos should have been able to see signs of what was wanted easily enough.

There was no mandate. He was simply told how important the football program was to Nebraska and that there were struggles with the last hiring of coaches by the previous AD. 1-6 to end the season took care of the rest.
I believe that's what was said by the powers running the show. Moos would have to have been completely DAFT, DUMB and BLIND to not know SF should be the target for Nebraska's next HC. I don't believe however Moos was ordered to hire Frost but rather strongly suggested he get it done. Moos is not the type of person who is going get pushed around when it comes to doing his job... period.

IMO Moos did a terific job handling everything with hiring SF. It was obvious from the body language they got along well when the announcement was made in Lincoln. Nice to finally have our AD and HC on the same page. Bottom line perhaps there were many other AD's that could have accomplished the same but that's a specious statement imo. Moos did it and now our football program is at long last in great hands....

You are correct. Mid October UCF had not yet played anyone.
Actually, they were 6-0, had made a name by beating BIG 10 Maryland, Cincinnati, and Memphis...that's as tough a run as their schedule had. After Riley was crushed by Ohio State and fell to 3-4, Moos was hired the next day to fire and replace him, barring an unexpected and unaided resurgence. Frost at that point, simply because of his Nebraska roots was the absolute #1 target. No fans or boosters would criticize an SF hire, as long as UCF didn't completely fall apart at seasons end. The administration opened the checkbook, told Moos to "get Frost" if at all possible.

Clearly, Moos is fond of an open checkbook policy and performed the easiest miracle ever by landing Frost to his dream job, with the help of Frost's best friend, his idol/Mentor, and an extremely generous compensation package. Of course, Frost had to express how tough it was to leave his undefeated Knights and the perfect weather. That was, I'm sure, tough to leave for the uncertainly of rebuilding a dynasty back in Lincoln. But when someone offers you your dream job, and gives you more wealth than you can spend, and the associated family security for generations...he was NEVER turning it down for any other job.

Last edited:
Actually, they were 6-0, had made a name by beating BIG 10 Maryland, Cincinnati, and Memphis...that's as tough a run as their schedule had. After Riley was crushed by Ohio State and fell to 3-4, Moos was hired the next day to fire and replace him, barring an unexpected and unaided resurgence. Frost at that point, simply because of his Nebraska roots was the #1 target. The administration opened the checkbook, told Moos to "get Frost" if at all possible.

Clearly, Moos is fond of an open checkbook policy and performed the easiest miracle ever by landing Frost to his dream job, with the help of Frost's best friend and an extremely generous compensation package. Of course, Frost had to express how tough it was to leave his undefeated Knights and the perfect weather,..that was, I'm sure, tough to leave for the uncertainly of rebuilding a dynasty back in Lincoln, but when someone offers you your dream job, and gives you more wealth than you can spend, and the associated family security for generations...he was NEVER turning it down for any other job.

Never anything positive. What a Grinch.

I don't believe however Moos was ordered to hire Frost but rather strongly suggested he get it done. Moos is not the type of person who is going get pushed around when it comes to doing his job... period.
When you are hired and told it is your job to hire Frost if at all possible, you would never consider it being "pushed around" because that was the condition of your employment. Now, while it is nearly inconceivable that given an open check book that he would fail at the task...I suppose it is in the realm of possibility that Frost would decline.,,NOT.

tenor.gif

Last edited:
When you are hired and told it is your job to hire Frost if at all possible, you would never consider it being "pushed around" because that was the condition of your employment. Now, while it is nearly inconceivable that given an open check book that he would fail at the task...I suppose it is in the realm of possibility that Frost would decline.,,NOT.

tenor.gif
Perhaps... but you also don't know any conditions of Moos's employment except what's public with his contract. What you are doing is of course speculating the same as everyone else is doing here.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back