• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

WSU retrospective article on Moos

Frost would have been the #1 candidate no matter who was AD. The real reason Frost is here is because Bounds and Green wanted Riley gone. Once Eichorst was fired, no AD was going to keep MR barring a B1G title. You can argue that Moos was able to convince Frost to leave UCF but Matt Davison had a huge hand in getting Frost to jump ship.
Moos is a great fit for NU and I credit him for recognizing his do-or-die target was Scott Frost and going pedal to the metal in pursuing him but if someone else had been in the AD shoes, they'd have done the same thing.

I agree with your assessment. Dr. Tom is the key here. Whomever was the AD, if Tom didn't give his approval to Scott, I don't think Scott was coming. It could have been Mickey mouse, if Tom says the athletic department is in good hands and will support you, I believe Scott would have come no matter who asked. But I guess we will never know.

Moos had a mandate day one of his hiring, fire MR and hire SF. No matter who was hired B&G had a goal. Could some AD's have failed in that task, sure. I don't think it had to be Moos though, I am pretty sure many competent AD's could have accomplished it. As said above, if TO signed off it is a safe bet SF was coming.

C

At 67, Moos is an interim AD.

We're all interim when you get right down to it.

Don't know if you've been directly asked this question or not, but I'll throw it out there.

Since Moos is without question unsuitable for the position, who, in your opinion, was the 'right' person to hire?

This is another one of those threads that if you opened it without reading the thread title and just started reading at page 3 you would have no clue what the OP was originally about.....

Moos had a mandate day one of his hiring, fire MR and hire SF. No matter who was hired B&G had a goal. Could some AD's have failed in that task, sure. I don't think it had to be Moos though, I am pretty sure many competent AD's could have accomplished it. As said above, if TO signed off it is a safe bet SF was coming.

C
I believe TO signed off because it was Moos........... We've also had some extremely bad AD's so it was very important we hired someone competent this time!

Frost would have been the #1 candidate no matter who was AD. The real reason Frost is here is because Bounds and Green wanted Riley gone. Once Eichorst was fired, no AD was going to keep MR barring a B1G title. You can argue that Moos was able to convince Frost to leave UCF but Matt Davison had a huge hand in getting Frost to jump ship.
Moos is a great fit for NU and I credit him for recognizing his do-or-die target was Scott Frost and going pedal to the metal in pursuing him but if someone else had been in the AD shoes, they'd have done the same thing.
Frost was the #1 candidate for every program, if he wasn’t for us, I may have found a new team. Who the AD was absolutely mattered, and us hiring him before the season was over was so guys like Davison, Osborne, etc., got a chance to give their opinion on it being a good fit.

I don’t know who else we looked at, but the wrong AD hire and Frost may still be at UCF.

I believe TO signed off because it was Moos........... We've also had some extremely bad AD's so it was very important we hired someone competent this time!

Yes but Moos was not the only capable AD, I am sure there are plenty of others just as qualified and that could have accomplished the same task. B&G did have to hire a competent AD to reach their goal of getting SF and they succeeded in that task.

C

Frost was the #1 candidate for every program, if he wasn’t for us, I may have found a new team. Who the AD was absolutely mattered, and us hiring him before the season was over was so guys like Davison, Osborne, etc., got a chance to give their opinion on it being a good fit.

I don’t know who else we looked at, but the wrong AD hire and Frost may still be at UCF.
First interview question of prospective AD: "What will you do to get Scott Frost to come home?" Answer that question correctly, and you go to the top of the list.

Yes but Moos was not the only capable AD, I am sure there are plenty of others just as qualified and that could have accomplished the same task. B&G did have to hire a competent AD to reach their goal of getting SF and they succeeded in that task.

C
I'm sure there are many AD's extremely competent however that doesn't mean they are available to hire? Lots of them simply don't want to leave where they are for a variety of reasons imo. We can agree Nebraska has made some serious errors hiring AD's and I'm glad they didn't make that mistake again.

Everything sort of fell in place with Moos and obviously folks like TO endorsed him to Frost... For once everything aligned just right to bring SF back home!

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back