• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

2019 is our coming out party

I am very optimistic, just short of Kool-Aid overdose. But I know how easy it is to come crashing down. I keep thinking of what Frost has done at previous stops on his journey. That second year at UCF... oh man. If that S&C kicks in and they start off the season a half step better than they finished, by the tOSU game they should be rockin'. Granted several things could cause some slip ups along the way, so my predictions come with the 'best case scenario' tag. Its a matter of how likely the best case could be this season. I'd say, its much more likely than last year and almost as likely as next year.

With this schedule and all my hopes, Id say they could get to 10-2 and make a lot of B1G teams look silly this year!

For the 8-4 and 9-3 fans. This is a sincere question. Who do you think the 3 or 4 teams are on the schedule that beat us next year?

OSU, Iowa, Minnesota, and throw one unexpected in there. Now if Def steps up who knows, but I doubt it
Interesting that you would include Minnesota as it was one of the games we won this year quite handily. And Iowa we have at home.

Interesting that you would include Minnesota as it was one of the games we won this year quite handily. And Iowa we have at home.

I think we have to be careful about the line of thinking in which we assume because we beat one team easily this year that we'll win again next year. Each new season is different. Under the same logic we should expect to lose to Wisconsin again, amongst other teams.

Minnesota and Nebraska both struggled for much of the season. Then something finally clicked and both improved late. We happened to play them before their turnaround.

We are still turning our roster over. We've got some talented guys that the previous regime recruited but we're had massive attrition too. Just look at the 2017 class. It's already half gone. And the only four star from that class remaining is somewhere on a milk carton. If that class was retroactively ranked it'd probably be in the 70s or something. We don't have as much of a talent edge over others in our conference as many assume...certainly not amongst our most veteran classes. We need a couple more cycles to really be where we need to be in terms of roster distribution.

I am just hoping they can win at least seven games this year. That's a significant improvement from four, shows we are headed in the right direction, and puts us in a decent bowl, with the way the fans travel. Slow and steady improvement is better in the long runs building something that lasts long term and not a one hit wonder.

For the 8-4 and 9-3 fans. This is a sincere question. Who do you think the 3 or 4 teams are on the schedule that beat us next year?

This is a lay-up. Teams with a good probability to beat Nebraska:

1. Ohio St: Talent across the board.

2. Northwestern: New 5-star QB; lots of confidence from 2018 and are 3-1 in Lincoln since Nebraska joined the Big 10 and have won 3 of the last 4.

3. AT Minnesota: In the 11-1 thread I said let's see how they do in their bowl game. Lots of young & confident talent on the roster. The MN game marks the 7th game in a row for Nebraska and they're playing them on the road.

4. AT Purdue: Brohm is back; so is R. Moore. J. Sindelar (QB) is as good as Blough; perhaps better since he beat out Blough until his knee let out on him.

5. Wisconsin: Nebraska has looked like the School of Blind & Drunk Monkeys going against Wisconsin since joining the Big 10. Until they prove otherwise, no one can provide any basis for thinking Nebraska will beat them.

6. Iowa: Similar to #5. Lost 4 in a row and 5 of 6 to the Hawkeyes. For as much as people want to put Iowa and Ferentz down, they know how to beat Nebraska.

A couple of other items:

1. Playing "at home" doesn't mean squat until they re-establish the advantage.
2. The Big 10 West isn't simply stagnating while Nebraska is getting better.

2. Northwestern: New 5-star QB; lots of confidence from 2018 and are 3-1 in Lincoln since Nebraska joined the Big 10 and have won 3 of the last 4.

3. AT Minnesota: In the 11-1 thread I said let's see how they do in their bowl game. Lots of young & confident talent on the roster. The MN game marks the 7th game in a row for Nebraska and they're playing them on the road.

4. AT Purdue: Brohm is back; so is R. Moore. J. Sindelar (QB) is as good as Blough; perhaps better since he beat out Blough until his knee let out on him.

5. Wisconsin: Nebraska has looked like the School of Blind & Drunk Monkeys going against Wisconsin since joining the Big 10. Until they prove otherwise, no one can provide any basis for thinking Nebraska will beat them.

6. Iowa: Similar to #5. Lost 4 in a row and 5 of 6 to the Hawkeyes. For as much as people want to put Iowa and Ferentz down, they know how to beat Nebraska.

A couple of other items:

Well you are certainly seeing something different than I am if you think all those teams are highly probable to beat us.

Well you are certainly seeing something different than I am if you think all those teams are highly probable to beat us.
I wrote, "a good probability" which is reasonable and I hope I'm wrong. Nebraska's wins against Minnesota, BC, Illinois and Mich St and close losses to Northwestern, Ohio St and Iowa doesn't make me want to start chugging the kool-aid. Too many questions on both sides of the ball and 8-4 would show good progress but 2020 should be "the" year.

A couple of other items:

So you are going with 6-6. care to place a wager?

OSU? Sure. But even as a national title contender they struggled with NU this year. This year I conceeded this one before the season. Not this time.

NW? They won't be BETTER than last year in all likelihood. Nobody knows how their QB will be regardless of his 5 stars. Too lazy to look it up...are they replacing their RB? NU had these guys beat and blew it. Not next year.

Minny? Should win this game.

Purdue? Obviously has the potential to be tough but I'll hold out pumping them up til I see what they have at QB.

Wisco? They'll be starting a true frosh QB. Taylor and Deal graduate.

Iowa? The history doesn't matter. Only the now. And their now will be starting a new QB. And in Lincoln.

To your "couple others".

1. Home absolutely matters. The advantage is already there. It will only grow.
2. We'll see about this one. There will be ebbs and flows.

I wrote, "a good probability" which is reasonable and I hope I'm wrong. Nebraska's wins against Minnesota, BC, Illinois and Mich St and close losses to Northwestern, Ohio St and Iowa doesn't make me want to start chugging the kool-aid. Too many questions on both sides of the ball and 8-4 would show good progress but 2020 should be "the" year.
Its possible we are a better team in 2020 but have a better record in 2019.

So you are going with 6-6. care to place a wager?

OSU? Sure. But even as a national title contender they struggled with NU this year. This year I conceeded this one before the season. Not this time.

OSU has more talent in its 2-deep than Nebraska has on its entire roster. They will themselves to win. Next year will be interesting with the new HC.

NW? They won't be BETTER than last year in all likelihood. Nobody knows how their QB will be regardless of his 5 stars. Too lazy to look it up...are they replacing their RB? NU had these guys beat and blew it. Not next year.

"In all likelihood"? Is that a plausible qualifier. Northwestern found a serviceable RB; he will be a sophomore in 2019.

Minny? Should win this game.

Anything besides "should win" to back up why Nebraska will absolutely beat them? Minnesota made some changes mid-season and showed some toughness down the stretch and played very well yesterday in their bowl game.

Purdue? Obviously has the potential to be tough but I'll hold out pumping them up til I see what they have at QB.

Isn't it plausible to say that about most every team on the schedule? Shouldn't Nebraska fans look in the mirror?

Wisco? They'll be starting a true frosh QB. Taylor and Deal graduate.

Jonathan Taylor (RB) was a true sophomore in 2018; he will return as will 7 of 10 OL on their 2-deep.

Iowa? The history doesn't matter. Only the now. And their now will be starting a new QB. And in Lincoln.

So, history doesn't matter unless Nebraska fans are punch drunk and day-dreaming about past National Championships. Nathan Stanley (QB) was a junior in 2018; he will return as do their top 2 RBs.

To your "couple others".

1. Home absolutely matters. The advantage is already there. It will only grow.

Did the advantage show up when Nebraska played Troy at home?

2. We'll see about this one. There will be ebbs and flows.

First of all, I didn't type anything whereby I emphatically stated Nebraska would go 6-6 in 2019. H-Ville asked who are the 3 or 4 teams that beat Nebraska next year. I simply provided some logic as to some teams that have a probability of beating Nebraska and of course I don't pump the sunshine. 7-5 or 8-4 is a reasonable expectation. Everyone is so damn far-sighted in looking at the schedule and spewing crap such as "should win" and filling the air with inaccurate data that they don't look at the issues on Nebraska's side.

246 days to go :wow:. Can't wait.

5tXe6rd.png

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back