• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Is Delaney out of his mind?

Remember when everyone was so happy to be out from under Texas? And some said OSU and Michigan wouldn't be much different?
At least we're getting paid more now. We need to earn some respect in the conference... should start soon.

What is the issue with putting the two best teams in the title game? Let's be honest, last weeks game wasn't very entertaining.
Such is life. You don't make a fundamental change like that because you get an occasional division winner you seem unworthy.

Who decides the two? Polls? So in other words preseason polls? C'mon...nobody with a brain thinks this is a good idea.

Such is life. You don't make a fundamental change like that because you get an occasional division winner you seem unworthy.

Who decides the two? Polls? So in other words preseason polls? C'mon...nobody with a brain thinks this is a good idea.
Maybe this is why (combined with missing the 4-team playoff two years in a row)

As it stands, the Big Ten's balance of power lies in the East Division, where Ohio State, Michigan State and Penn State have won seven of eight title games. The conference champion has come from the East Division every year since the Big Ten was realigned five seasons ago.
https://www.si.com/college-football/2018/12/06/jim-delany-big-ten-divisions-realignment-playoff

Last edited:

As it stands, the Big Ten's balance of power lies in the East Division, where Ohio State, Michigan State and Penn State have won seven of eight title games. The conference champion has come from the East Division every year since the Big Ten was realigned five seasons ago.
https://www.si.com/college-football/2018/12/06/jim-delany-big-ten-divisions-realignment-playoff
OSU missed the playoff because they got their arse handed to them by Purdue. And Iowa last year. Maybe they should stop getting their arse handed to them.

Suggests that maybe the big 10 just puts the "two best" teams in the title game. I know @Hville probably thinks this is a great idea. But who are these people Delaney is saying are talking more about this?
agree this is a very bad idea by Delaney. If they get rid of the divisions, that will be the 3rd reboot of the league in the past 10 years. It is totally a knee jerk reaction.

Not to mention, Ohio State is the only reason these division are imbalanced. If Nebraska gets its act together soon, the entire point is moot as the divisions will balance out.

As others said, there’s zero way to get rid of divisions and have two ‘best teams’ play in a CCG, when all teams wouldn’t play the same opponents. For him to suggest that is idiotic. How in the world would that be determined? The fact that he also said that the goal of the B1G isn’t necessarily to be represented in the CFP, but seems to be just to get more revenue for the conference teams was pretty idiotic too. I sure think every HC in the conference has their goal of making it to CFP and not just making it to the Rose Bowl or having nine conference games. I think it may be time for some of these old guard Conference leaders be replaced. And NO way do I want OU and. Texas joining an already stacked B1G.

Well (expletive) me.

Delaney sounds like a moron. The two best teams, eh? Based on what? Conference records? Well if one team plays 3-4 pretty good teams, and the other team has a schedule like Iowas then what?

There would not be a way to balance this. Ridiculous. So if there teams all ended up with the same conference record who gets in? Divisions and CCGs make sense. I grew up in Big ten country and used to dog on them for not playing a title game

This is never going to happen. Texas and OU own the Big 12. Why would they leave?

Well (expletive) me.

Delaney sounds like a moron. The two best teams, eh? Based on what? Conference records? Well if one team plays 3-4 pretty good teams, and the other team has a schedule like Iowas then what?

How is that any different than just teams within one of the two divisions? Compare Nebraska's schedule versus Iowa's and you'll see it's not very balanced within just the 7 teams in the Big Ten West. Same for the East.

Redrawing -- or not drawing -- divisions feels a bit like gerrymandering. It can have consequences both good and bad. The real debate should be on drawing up fair, enforceable rules that take the bias out of things.

It may or may not ever happen that the West equals or surpasses the East. These things can be cyclical though. At the time he Big 12 formed, the top 3 teams (NU, CU, KSU) all resided in the North. Four or five years later, the South became much stronger. There was a time when the SEC East with Florida, Tennessee, and Georgia all on solid ground was much stronger than the vaunted SEC West. Then Saban showed up at LSU and Alabama.

Nebraska becoming Nebraska again would go a long way toward solving the current imbalance. The East has certainly been stronger at the top since the B1G went to the East-West split, but the head-to-head record in cross-division games is probably closer than what most people think.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back