• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Is Delaney out of his mind?

Might be the only way the BIG can get a team in the playoffs. Two step process:

1) break up the Big 12 - take Texas and OU into the BIG
2) Eliminate divisions and eliminate round-robin schedules.

All driven by TV contracts...CFB will suck in 10 years.

And eliminate 9 conference game schedules.

Might be the only way the BIG can get a team in the playoffs. Two step process:

1) break up the Big 12 - take OU into the BIG
2) Eliminate divisions and eliminate round-robin schedules.

All driven by TV contracts...CFB will suck in 10 years.

There......better!

All Delaney cares about is money. Rutgers and maryland were added for money alone...they bring absolutely NOTHING to the conference. The 9 game thing, while i don't ont mind it and I dont think it is a huge disadvantage, is all about TV.

NW winning the west has people from Delaney to @Hville wetting the bed.

It's even worse than that I'm afraid. Maryland and Rutgers are never going to contribute incremental revenue to the Big Ten. That's a fact Delaney had to know. BTN carriage fees and payouts are peanuts and ESPN/Fox Sports are not paying big dollars to broadcast Maryland or Rutgers vs. anyone. They will be a net drain on cash flow in perpetuity.

As I understand it, he's an east coast guy to the core (grew up in Jersey, undergrad at UNC) and simply wanted the Big Ten to have bigger east coast footprint. It was expansion for expansion's sake. Delaney sold it as a smart TV money move, but in reality it was just an ego move.

I believe "rivalries" were part of the equation in determining the divisions. Hard to satisfy all the concerns in a large conference.

Yup. And the Big Ten has a ton of rivalry games. You can't swap an east power to the west without then creating a scenario where that team is playing at least 2 protected east rivalries, which jacks up the division schedule.

I do get protecting rivalries though. They are crucial to conference stability. I'm 100% convinced that if the Big 12 powers-that-be had protected the NU vs. OU game, Nebraska never leaves the conference.

Yup. And the Big Ten has a ton of rivalry games. You can't swap an east power to the west without then creating a scenario where that team is playing at least 2 protected east rivalries, which jacks up the division schedule.

I do get protecting rivalries though. They are crucial to conference stability. I'm 100% convinced that if the Big 12 powers-that-be had protected the NU vs. OU game, Nebraska never leaves the conference.
I think it might have made a difference but not sure it would have been enough to keep us there. Just to many sour things with Texas. Keep in mind that had OU probably could have helped protect that game but didn't so they weren't high on our list for voting against us and with Texas on everything too.

I think the biggest problem is we are creating super-conferences and too many aren't playing each other in them. I can't imagine any other sport at any level where you don't play everyone in your conference. The entire college football system needs re-worked instead of continually putting a paper bandaid on it. You will never get equity relative to conferences or even divisions. Attempting to factor these inequities into a final season playoff without even factoring in the non-conference games is just adding to the mess.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back