• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Is Delaney out of his mind?

Nebraska becoming Nebraska again would go a long way toward solving the current imbalance. The East has certainly been stronger at the top since the B1G went to the East-West split, but the head-to-head record in cross-division games is probably closer than what most people think.
10-11 in favor of the east this year according to someone one the radio this week.

Suggests that maybe the big 10 just puts the "two best" teams in the title game. I know @Hville probably thinks this is a great idea. But who are these people Delaney is saying are talking more about this?
No way. tOSU would be so pissed to have to play a team they just spanked badly. There would be no benefit by the playoff committee as they would have to woodshed them again or it would look like a step down. tOSU wont be having any of that. Sorry Michigan don't suck so bad and you can maybe beat the bucks someday.

Last edited:
I would add OU and UT to the west and move Purdue and Illinois to the east and then you would be pretty balanced. OU rivalry is back in play. longhorn network dies a miserable death. It’s a win win!

Maybe they should have had Ohio State play Purdue again.

Exactly. Beating Texas, OU got redemption for their only loss. tOSU beating Michigan again would not have helped them as much as a convincing rematch win over Purdue. If Michigan wins a rematch with tOSU, it doesn't erase their 23 point loss to tOSU. I think Georgia stays ahead of both tOSU and UM regardless of who wins the rematch.

Delaney needs to realize that Clemson played a 7-5 Pittsburg team in their CC game, but still became the #2 seed.

Obviously it is better for NU if the Divisions remain as they are and the CC game remains a contest between the 2 division winners. NU will always have a decent chance to win the West and get to a CC game, but always precarious a chance to get in a CC game if divisions disappear and it becomes subjective.

I don't think the B1G ADs would support Delany's idea.

Last edited:
What is the issue with putting the two best teams in the title game? Let's be honest, last weeks game wasn't very entertaining.
Because it would be subjective. Let's say for example one team finishes undefeated and then there are two teams 10-2. MI and NE. Mi is rated 9 and NE ranked 10. Ne has actually played a tougher schedule and beaten a team or two ranked higher than the ones MI beat. So now who is the better team? B1G will always go with MI or OSU no matter who else is in the conversation. They will also always find a way to justify it.

As far as east vs west right now. Realigning as a result. It is short sighted thinking. Our first 2 years in the B1G Wisky won the title. Since the last realignment 2 games have been blowouts. 3 out of 5 have been 10 points or less. The west teams are currently in a reset mode. NE and Purdue as well as NWU seem all to be on the rise.

If you keep realigning and changing the rules you make the conference less attractive to good teams that may want to join and to recruits to all but 1 or two teams.

Exactly. Beating Texas, OU got redemption for their only loss. tOSU beating Michigan again would not have helped them as much as a convincing rematch win over Purdue. If Michigan wins a rematch with tOSU, it doesn't erase their 23 point loss to tOSU. I think Georgia stays ahead of both tOSU and UM regardless of who wins the rematch.

Delaney needs to realize that Clemson played a 7-5 Pittsburg team in their CC game, but still became the #2 seed.

Obviously it is better for NU if the Divisions remain as they are and the CC game remains a contest between the 2 division winners. NU will always have a decent chance to win the West and get to a CC game, but always precarious a chance to get in a CC game if divisions disappear it becomes subjective.

I don't think the B1G ADs would support Delany's idea.
I was typing mine as yours came up. Sounds like we have the same idea though.

No way. tOSU would be so pissed to have to play a team they just spanked badly. There would be no benefit by the playoff committee as they would have to woodshed them again or it would look like a step down. tOSU wont be having any of that. Sorry Michigan don't suck so bad and you can maybe beat the bucks someday.
See 1978 NE vs OK part 1 and part 2. Only time I ever remember TO being that pissed.

If Delaney wants to make changes to the structure, change it so that only divisional games count towards the divisional winner. It’s no secret that Nebraska regularly has a tougher path than their divisional foes when it comes to crossovers.

Reactions: RMR
with 16 teams, into 2 divisions, that means a player would be NOT BE able to have a home game with every team even every 4 years, it would take 8 years to cycle thru a process of getting a home game with every team,----- if you have a conference, you should at least play them a bit more often then that. we cant cycle thru a process even now of getting a home game with every team every 4 years, with 14 teams we have now it takes at least 5 years to cycle them thru Lincoln

Yep.
Ohio State lost to Oklahoma last year and would have still made the playoffs if they hadn't gotten throttled by Iowa (the 3rd place team in the West).

All the conference has to do is have its champion not get smoked by a combined 60 points by mediocre teams from the other division the last two seasons.
Apparently, the West's role is just to be a spoiler for the East. Time to change that and just win the whole thing ourselves.

What is the issue with putting the two best teams in the title game? Let's be honest, last weeks game wasn't very entertaining.
That would make too much sense. Its better to be assigned to a weak division or conference and slip in. And then call it "earning it on the field" when it was actually earned during conference alignment decisions and scheduling.

Remember when everyone was so happy to be out from under Texas? And some said OSU and Michigan wouldn't be much different?
I recall being in the latter camp. All we need to make the conference a real cluster is add Texas.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back