• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Does Anybody Remember 1962?

I was going to say that my mind was on other things during the fall of 1962 after seeing satellite images of Soviet SS3 medium-range missiles set up in Cuba, the missiles delivered at the start of football season. Our survival was on the very brink.

But let's ask the real question. How many of you listened to the Rose Bowl game with me that we played against Stanford and their newly developed T formation attach in 1940? Were you as disappointed as I when we lost? How many had an uncle who won a drawing at his local grocery store and got free transportation room and ticket to the game? I did.

That was just about the end of the good teams at NU until Devaney came along. Until then we had consistently been a national powerhouse although never voted number one.

I remember Devaney saying he was in Nebraska several years before he found out we LOST that game...

Does Anybody Remember 1962?

The year I graduated from high school? Hell yes. There was even a movie made about my life (American Graffiti).
Which one were you?
1512135590-0.jpg

Elwood, Glassford recruited me as did the baseball coach Tony Sharpe, but I had other ideas about how I wanted to spend my college years. Most impressive about Glassford was how successful he became as an insurance salesman in Arizona. He was a real good pitchman. Not so much as a coach.

Elwood, Glassford recruited me as did the baseball coach Tony Sharpe, but I had other ideas about how I wanted to spend my college years. Most impressive about Glassford was how successful he became as an insurance salesman in Arizona. He was a real good pitchman. Not so much as a coach.
I once watched a story/clip about the Glassford years with my dad. Someone who was interviewed said he was known as the "Baby-faced assassin." Dad said the players called him the "baby faced a$#&#@". Dad said he was good with the X's & O's, but was severely lacking in the people skills. You could meet him on the street and he wouldn't even acknowledge you (as his player).

Maybe I shouldn't run down the guy now that he's gone... Sounds like he was a super tough player at Pitt. Just was never a player's coach.

Edit: Dad played in 1950 & '51. He would have been a senior in '52 but he and many others on the team didn't go out that year. BG had promised Dad (and probably several others) a scholarship but never came through on it. Dad had just gotten married, and my oldest brother was on the way, & he couldn't afford college without the schollie. A year or two later, I understand there was a player revolt.

Last edited:
Yes. there was a player revolt and a lot of players signed a petition to boot him out. He was fired or resigned the next year. When he died he was the oldest living NFL player (102)

Also, Bill Jennings was known as a good recruiter, similar to MR. But both struggled with player development and team motivation. So when Devaney got here, he had some good, hungry athletes to work with.

I still struggle when people tell me MR was a great recruiter. 1) None of his classes ever met the minimum standard set by BP. 2) None of his highly touted players seem to be producing when compared to other coach's recruits.

I still struggle when people tell me MR was a great recruiter. 1) None of his classes ever met the minimum standard set by BP. 2) None of his highly touted players seem to be producing when compared to other coach's recruits.
Per point 2, this comes from lack of development. We'll see how those guys produce this year...

The tragic part to me is, how many guys over the last couple years have missed opportunities in the NFL because they weren't developed at NU.

Now this year, in our first 3 days of practice, we already have NFL scouts attending. They must know something!

Last edited:

:Popcorn:

Nice. BTW, I'm now also a "GA Bugeater". Moved to the McDonough area last year (& got my season tickets by UPS on Monday!)

(Edit: HUSKER season tix)
Great for you on both counts (the move & tickets). Lived in GA for 26 years and love it. Just do not seem to be able to get back to NE as much as I would like anymore.

FYI, the Huskers were tied for 24th in alltime wins at the end of the 1961 season.

http://football.stassen.com/cgi-bin...art=1869&end=1961&rpct=30&min=5&se=on&by=Wins
If you remove the teams that are no longer FBS (Yale, Penn, Princeton, Harvard, Villanova, Dartmouth and Cornell) we were 17th at the end of 1961. But that is because we generally sucked in the 40's and 50's. The first 50 years or so of Nebraska football were quite good. Nebraska was tied for 14th at the end of the 1941 season for total wins, and if you remove the teams mentioned above we were tied for 6th. Right now we are 5th compared to the same population.

http://football.stassen.com/cgi-bin...art=1869&end=1941&rpct=30&min=5&se=on&by=Wins

That being said, it is clear that the Devaney and Osborne years have been the golden age of Nebraska football....so far. ;) :frost:

If you remove the teams that are no longer FBS (Yale, Penn, Princeton, Harvard, Villanova, Dartmouth and Cornell) we were 17th at the end of 1961. But that is because we generally sucked in the 40's and 50's. The first 50 years or so of Nebraska football were quite good. Nebraska was tied for 14th at the end of the 1941 season for total wins, and if you remove the teams mentioned above we were tied for 6th. Right now we are 5th compared to the same population.

http://football.stassen.com/cgi-bin...art=1869&end=1941&rpct=30&min=5&se=on&by=Wins

That being said, it is clear that the Devaney and Osborne years have been the golden age of Nebraska football....so far. ;) :frost:
If you take out those other 16 teams still ahead of us, we were #1 in 1941!

Seriously, it was a different time. Why would you take those teams out?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back