• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Jim Walden says Nebraska's getting a new head football coach

That’s ridiculous. The reason for the payout clause is to provide security to the recipient. He earned the money when he and NU agreed to the terms of the contract. What would anyone give away $3M?

nm

He always said this in the article

" In some ways, he hasn’t been given enough time."

Duh..

Also...any chance this guy is a blow hard?

So if Riley is truly gone at the end of the season, what about Associate Athletics director for football Dan Van De Riet and Executive Director of Player personnel Billy Devaney? Supposedly they were involved in decisions involving the football team. Are they guys Riley wanted and brought in or did SE want them?

SE wanted them, and I think positions that could be eliminated, entirely.

Heard DR say the AD employs 1 person for every 2 athletes at DONU.

Thats 350 employees for 700 athletes.

That is bloat.

Last edited:

I think we all would love Chip Kelly but outside of his connection to Moos, why do you think he'd come here? Especially if he hates recruiting...

I think a $6 million salary for starters. And for someone who hates recruiting, he sure did just fine at Oregon - another place that needs to recruit nationally like Nebraska. Kelly would hire a staff that could take care of the recruiting aspect. His name and reputation are enough to get kids all over the country interested in playing for him in his offense. He only needs to seal the deal on some top targets in December/January, something he has been good at in the past.

I think he got the idea of the NFL out of his system, ala Nick Saban, and knows he would build a monster program on the college level again. Why Nebraska? Why not?

I think a $6 million salary for starters. And for someone who hates recruiting, he sure did just fine at Oregon - another place that needs to recruit nationally like Nebraska. Kelly would hire a staff that could take care of the recruiting aspect. His name and reputation are enough to get kids all over the country interested in playing for him in his offense. He only needs to seal the deal on some top targets in December/January, something he has been good at in the past.

I think he got the idea of the NFL out of his system, ala Nick Saban, and knows he would build a monster program on the college level again. Why Nebraska? Why not?

I don't know Chip Kelly from Adam, but he sure does come off as an arrogant cuss IMO. I realize all successful coaches have to have some of that in their DNA, but man he can be very smug. I don't know how well that would play in the heartland.

I don't know Chip Kelly from Adam, but he sure does come off as an arrogant cuss IMO. I realize all successful coaches have to have some of that in their DNA, but man he can be very smug. I don't know how well that would play in the heartland.

If he wins, he can be as arrogant as he wants in the heartland (see Barry Switzer)

Arrogant and blowout losses are when you have an issue.

If he wins, he can be as arrogant as he wants in the heartland (see Barry Switzer)

Arrogant and blowout losses are when you have an issue.

Barry was arrogant, but it was always with a little bit of humor. I remember when he brought Devaney some tacos on the set of his prediction show.

I'm in. Where's the kool aid? I'm ready to drink it all! Would absolutely be a home run hire for us

Barry was arrogant, but it was always with a little bit of humor. I remember when he brought Devaney some tacos on the set of his prediction show.

I don't remember the Devaney stunt, but you're right. Arrogant, smarmy, but always quick with a joke. That act wouldn't play if he'd started out losing to NU and Texas right out of the gate. He was a character, because he won. He'd have just been an arrogant ass if he hadn't.

Full disclosure.

My messed up way of thinking is 100% the fault of my father. In his world (and now in mine) there is right and there is legal and they aren't always the same.

I can say with absolute certainty that I would never accept money I felt I hadn't earned. Period. It's my dad's fault. Call me an idiot for not taking what I'd 'legally' be owed, but he and now by extension I wouldn't feel it's right. Whatever.

It seems you haven’t been beat up enough n the corporate world.

I agree with Thill. I would have less respect for Riley if he didn’t take the money.

My advice to Riley. Take the money go back to Where you went to high school and coach. Enjoy life. You’ve earned it.

If he won 10 games a year and played for the Big Ten title 2 or 3 times every five years...i think it'd go over fine.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back