• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Jim Walden says Nebraska's getting a new head football coach

Any payout is reduced by the amount earned at a new job.
Now that might be the one thing MR could consider re-negotiating. The contract calls for him to seek a comparable position after a period of time and reduces his payout if one is found. If he truly wants to "retire" rather than coaching again, I suppose he could give a bit on the payout so that he didn't need to put up the charade of seeking another position. But, he'd be a fool to give up much, because he is unlikely to ever find a comparable position after the way he's being run out the door.

So, if he retires, we don't have to pay him. He has to coach somewhere for the next 3 years. If he wants to actually retire, he may be willing to negotiate a lower payout."
No, he doesn't...he merely needs to seek a comparable position. There aren't many of them and many fewer who would hire a 64 year old, so we are not getting out of it that easy. Even guys in his situation that would get hired often take a few years to find a spot.

Last edited:
So if Riley is truly gone at the end of the season, what about Associate Athletics director for football Dan Van De Riet and Executive Director of Player personnel Billy Devaney? Supposedly they were involved in decisions involving the football team. Are they guys Riley wanted and brought in or did SE want them?

Riley guys.

Crab, Bils posted the same thing previously. Why would MR not want to collect the full amount of what he is due if he is fired? It's not like he is going to be appreciative of the fact they fired him, especially after year 3. I hope he collects all of it to the penny.

Because he earned it??

But, he'd be a fool to give up much, because he is unlikely to ever find a comparable position after the way he's being run out the door.
Why? For doing a bad job? What should he think will happen for putting a crap product on the field? Guy is gonna get more money to go away, then 95% of people will make in a lifetime +. You think NU should keep him? Really?

Nehunter88 said:
The best batch of beer I ever made was bacon beer.

Intentionally?

Yeah I put fried bacon in during part of the fermentation process. The beer had a smoky salty taste. I figured bacon and beer, two of man's greatest inventions, put together should be great.

I have a feeling Riley is going to go down swinging. I tend to think he hopes to coach again somewhere. He might even just pull a Schnellenberger. OU canned him after one season in 1995 when he was 61 years old and at age 67, he came out of nowhere to coach Florida Atlantic for a full decade. I could see Riley catching on with a Mountain West team like Fresno State or Nevada and having a third act.

I can’t picture Riley swinging at anything. More like goes out smiling with his hands in his pockets chewing gum.

He has a contract and like anyone, will expect NU to honor the terms of the contract. That’s business as it should be.

I can't recall such an open public settlement when someone steps down, but I'm sure it's not completely out of the ordinary. I have to think Riley is a character guy who'd feel 'bad' about taking money he didn't earn. What makes Anderson's deal so odd is his publicly stating he just wanted out and would walk away from the dough.

That’s ridiculous. The reason for the payout clause is to provide security to the recipient. He earned the money when he and NU agreed to the terms of the contract. What would anyone give away $3M?

If it comes to it, you pay the man what's agreed in the contract, thank him for his efforts and have the class to move on. There is nothing difficult about how you do this.

That’s ridiculous. The reason for the payout clause is to provide security to the recipient. He earned the money when he and NU agreed to the terms of the contract. What would anyone give away $3M?
If he wanted out right away, and NU wasn't sure when it could make the change, that'd be a reason. Spurrier and Anderson are two recent examples of coaches giving away money left on contracts in order to leave when they wanted, as I understand it.

There are other examples of this. As I understand it, in 2003 when Michael Jordan wasn't retained as president of basketball operations for the Wizards, he was offered $10 mil in severance that wasn't contractually guaranteed. But he turned it down. So there's a case of both sides trying to give away $10mil. The Wizards were trying to keep up appearances and Jordan was making a point that it wasn't about the money.

If he wanted out right away, and NU wasn't sure when it could make the change, that'd be a reason. Spurrier and Anderson are two recent examples of coaches giving away money left on contracts in order to leave when they wanted, as I understand it.

There are other examples of this. As I understand it, in 2003 when Michael Jordan wasn't retained as president of basketball operations for the Wizards, he was offered $10 mil in severance that wasn't contractually guaranteed. But he turned it down. So there's a case of both sides trying to give away $10mil. The Wizards were trying to keep up appearances and Jordan was making a point that it wasn't about the money.

Michael Jordan probably gambles away $10 mil on a 3 day golf weekend.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back