• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Jim Walden says Nebraska's getting a new head football coach

From the same article: Scott Frost is going to have to make a decision. It’ll be him or Chip Kelly … I’m sorry to be the voice of doom for Mike Riley, which I hate, because I happen to think the world of him.’

Last edited:

More unfounded speculation, at this point in time.

Speculation, yes, but Walden gives his reasons. Walden certainly has an opinion on how Moos goes about things, colored considerably by the fact Walden was relieved of broadcast duties by Moos.

Last edited:

Last edited:
retirement would be a dignified way to put this thing to bed.
That would be nice but MR isn't going to walk away from all that $ à la Gary Andersen. His talk about the team getting better is maneuvering to be fired instead, IMO.

That would be nice but MR isn't going to walk away from all that $ à la Gary Andersen. His talk about the team getting better is maneuvering to be fired instead, IMO.
i don't know that he is maneuvering...who knows?

maybe he could negotiate 1/2 his remaining contract $? He is likely pretty wealthy to begin with. He is certainly entitled to a full payout though so if he wants it it's certainly his.

Last edited:

So if Riley is truly gone at the end of the season, what about Associate Athletics director for football Dan Van De Riet and Executive Director of Player personnel Billy Devaney? Supposedly they were involved in decisions involving the football team. Are they guys Riley wanted and brought in or did SE want them?

Interesting insight from someone who had a front row seat for the pinnacle of Devaney's career. While I agree that the writing is on the wall for Riley, I don't think firing Riley was a mandate nor do I think Frost and Kelly are the only replacement options.

I found this comment to be pretty insightful for a guy watching at a distance: “I do feel bad [for Huskers fans],” Walden said. “When Bo [Pelini] was doing some good things, I couldn’t understand why he was always so sensitive about the crowd." I couldn't either Jim.

Mike Belotti had a great interview on 1620 yesterday. He recalled fans putting "Ditch Rich" signs in Rich Brooks' yard when he was an assistant at Oregon. He said he and Brooks always ignored the fan noise and added a pretty good zinger: "There's a reason they make bandwagons so low to the ground...so that fans won't break their ankles jumping on an off."

Last edited:

i don't know that he is maneuvering...who knows?

maybe he could negotiate 1/2 his remaining contract $? He is likely pretty wealthy to begin with. He is certainly entitled to a full payout though so if he wants it it's certainly his.

I have a feeling Riley is going to go down swinging. I tend to think he hopes to coach again somewhere. He might even just pull a Schnellenberger. OU canned him after one season in 1995 when he was 61 years old and at age 67, he came out of nowhere to coach Florida Atlantic for a full decade. I could see Riley catching on with a Mountain West team like Fresno State or Nevada and having a third act.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back