• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Great indication of where we are offensively

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are lucky to be 7-2. Whether that is due to scheduling or great coaching, I don't care. We will not be this bad next year on the OL, I promise. Langsdorf literally can't do anything if this is what is happening on these plays. I mean the nose crosses our centers face and loops back around to make the play on the side he originally started on.

Last edited:

Overall, I agree with this 100%. However, the game plan last night was puzzling to say the least. I thought there were some different things they could have done to at least score some points, and I thought they went away from the run way too quickly when things went south. By no means am I saying that it's Langsdorf's fault they lost, because there's no way they could have put up enough points. But I almost feel like panic set in really fast when it got to 14-3.

Overall, I agree with this 100%. However, the game plan last night was puzzling to say the least. I thought there were some different things they could have done to at least score some points, and I thought they went away from the run way too quickly when things went south. By no means am I saying that it's Langsdorf's fault they lost, because there's no way they could have put up enough points. But I almost feel like panic set in really fast when it got to 14-3.
I think we started throwing a bit more than we needed to, especially when it wasn't due to a certain pass play working, we just started running fades. But the issue is when you are the OC and see this happen in the booth, there's not a singe run play that will work and if you call another run after this it's a safety. Also, Ohio State was basically manning us up on the outside and daring us to beat them there, we are going to have to win more on those (Morgan didn't have a great game). And if you are recruiting Joseph Lewis' and Jamire Calvin's still, you basically put on the game film and say "are you going to be able to beat that corner, because we aren't right now."

It comes back to what I stated last night after the game. We could have ran more than we did and the score would have been 42-3 or something like that, but does it really matter at that point? They also were hosed because they can't get Fyfe hurt.

Last edited:
I think we started throwing a bit more than we needed to, especially when it wasn't due to a certain pass play working, we just started running fades. But the issue is when you are the OC and see this happen in the booth, there's not a singe run play that will work and if you call another run after this it's a safety. Also, Ohio State was basically manning us up on the outside and daring us to beat them there, we are going to have to win more on those (Morgan didn't have a great game).

It comes back to what I stated last night after the game. We could have ran more than we did and the score would have been 42-3 or something like that, but does it really matter at that point? They also were hosed because they can't get Fyfe hurt.

Well they did drive all the way down the field, and unfortunately settle for a FG. But still, while they had to work hard to get there, there were a few things that worked. My thinking is, yes, this is going to be very hard, but let's keep pounding Newby for 2-3 yards a pop and maybe he breaks one a bit, or maybe Tommy gets 10, or Westerkamp or Morgan make a big catch. And then hope for some breaks. After Tommy got hurt, the team was understandably shell shocked. But I felt like the panic set in even before that. Obviously, none of it matters after the fact.

I think we started throwing a bit more than we needed to, especially when it wasn't due to a certain pass play working, we just started running fades. But the issue is when you are the OC and see this happen in the booth, there's not a singe run play that will work and if you call another run after this it's a safety. Also, Ohio State was basically manning us up on the outside and daring us to beat them there, we are going to have to win more on those (Morgan didn't have a great game). And if you are recruiting Joseph Lewis' and Jamire Calvin's still, you basically put on the game film and say "are you going to be able to beat that corner, because we aren't right now."

Also, the special teams picked the absolute worst time to play bad again.

Well they did drive all the way down the field, and unfortunately settle for a FG. But still, while they had to work hard to get there, there were a few things that worked. My thinking is, yes, this is going to be very hard, but let's keep pounding Newby for 2-3 yards a pop and maybe he breaks one a bit, or maybe Tommy gets 10, or Westerkamp or Morgan make a big catch. And then hope for some breaks. After Tommy got hurt, the team was understandably shell shocked. But I felt like the panic set in even before that. Obviously, none of it matters after the fact.
I agree we started throwing too early, or abandoning the run. But the reason i'm kind of shrugging my shoulders to it is because it wouldn't have mattered. That beat down was happening last night no matter what the offensive gameplan.

I'm more upset with how our defense played.

We are lucky to be 7-2. Whether that is due to scheduling or great coaching, I don't care. We will not be this bad next year on the OL, I promise. Langsdorf literally can't do anything if this is what is happening on these plays. I mean the nose crosses our centers face and loops back around to make the play on the side he originally started on.

Just as you say you can't judge Riley on just a few games, so to you can't judge an offensive line (or entire offense) on one botched play.

I agree, though, that our line isn't getting it done. Is it simply due to talent? If so, we need to start recruiting more linemen. If not, either the coach or the scheme needs to be adjusted. Either way, we're obviously doing things wrong in one area (recruiting) or another (coaching). This isn't a one game problem; we couldn't do much up front last year, either.

I agree we started throwing too early, or abandoning the run. But the reason i'm kind of shrugging my shoulders to it is because it wouldn't have mattered. That beat down was happening last night no matter what the offensive gameplan.

I'm more upset with how our defense played.

They were in position to make plays when they needed to, but didn't...time and time again. Weber was in position and made a great play on one third down pass and it was just a perfect pass right outside of his fingertips.

Just as you say you can't judge Riley on just a few games, so to you can't judge an offensive line (or entire offense) on one botched play.

I agree, though, that our line isn't getting it done. Is it simply due to talent? If so, we need to start recruiting more linemen. If not, either the coach or the scheme needs to be adjusted. Either way, we're obviously doing things wrong in one area (recruiting) or another (coaching). This isn't a one game problem; we couldn't do much up front last year, either.

It's not just one botched play. It's been bad for several games now.

Oh you want another one? This happened all night, let's not act like it didnt. Center whiffs again, TE whiffs then FB tries to help him and #6 gets past two blocks to make a play.

Last edited:
That's just pathetic. But then why--if our interior linemen simply can't block--do we continually run inside and wonder why we get the same crappy results? Crap blocking is crap blocking, but if we went with more I formation and ran some tosses at least we'd get away from the part of the line that is continuously getting murdered and have a lead blocker to try and chip someone.

I really like that misdirection pitch we did to get to the outside. But it seems like we did it once and that was it. We keep going back to that inside run well and it's just not working for the most part. Everyone knows with a pretty good chance of being right where the run will be headed right now.

That's just pathetic. But then why--if our interior linemen simply can't block--do we continually run inside and wonder why we get the same crappy results? Crap blocking is crap blocking, but if we went with more I formation and ran some tosses at least we'd get away from the part of the line that is continuously getting murdered and have a lead blocker to try and chip someone.

I really like that misdirection pitch we did to get to the outside. But it seems like we did it once and that was it. We keep going back to that inside run well and it's just not working for the most part. Everyone knows with a pretty good chance of being right where the run will be headed right now.

You still have to block when you're running outside. Of your DT gets to the mesh point on an outside zone play that play is probably a loss. OSU ran down a lot of NU's outside run plays as well.

Opposing defensive coordinators and players must just laugh when they watch our line on film. That's an embarrassment, injuries or not. Cav better have these guys operating at a FAR higher level next year or he ought to be brushing up his resume.

We now currently have 4 guys starting along the line that have no business being there (in my opinion). Gates is the only one that should be there. Utter has this happen all the time, Hahn, Whitaker, and Knevel we all know about.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back