• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Great indication of where we are offensively

Status
Not open for further replies.

Completely whiffing on a block is less indicative of talent and more indicative of technique, don't you think? It's one thing if you're overpowered, but stepping with the right foot and at least getting a body on someone across from you is something anyone should be able to do more often than not.

What you are getting at, correctly I might add, is that being a good offensive lineman is damn hard at this level. It's hard combining techniques, talent and know-how then putting it together trying to balance unnatural weight. That's why the pipeline was so completely impressive. To go 2-deep along the line, being able to bring in your backup with a slight drop-off is a thing of champions at this level. Time will tell how Cav can recruit and develop.

Just as you say you can't judge Riley on just a few games, so to you can't judge an offensive line (or entire offense) on one botched play.

I agree, though, that our line isn't getting it done. Is it simply due to talent? If so, we need to start recruiting more linemen. If not, either the coach or the scheme needs to be adjusted. Either way, we're obviously doing things wrong in one area (recruiting) or another (coaching). This isn't a one game problem; we couldn't do much up front last year, either.

That's been a problem for many, many years.

There isn't an o-line coach in college or the NFL that would get production out of the guys that are being forced to play right now for Nebraska.

The coaches are doing the right thing by sitting their 4 true frosh, so those options are out. Jalin Barnett and Christian Gaylord, your two four-star youngsters coming off redshirt seasons are still not ready. Your left with some vets who have never contributed (Knevel, Whitaker, Hahn) and are being forced into action because frankly, that's all there is to put out there. I am at the point where I would just force feed Barnett and Gaylord. They can't do much worse and at least they have perceived high ceilings. Unless those two just dont know the playbook, or the coaches think them getting whipped would crush their confidence for the future? The coaches think different. They've obviously seen the struggles, so if they still don't want to go that route, you gotta defer to their decision.

I still think the o-line is going to be quite good next season. Nick Gates should continue his growth and continue to be an All-Conference caliber player. Jerald Foster will be back healthy. Tanner Farmer will also be better (IMPO, he has also been All-Conference caliber when he's been healthy). IMO Matt Farniok is going to take the RT job from Knevel. Farniok has gotten good reports during camp and now while he is on the scout team from teammates and coaches who ask about who is impressing. He has the talent and demeanor that fits exactly what Cavanaugh is looking for. I think Boe Wilson will be a very good 3rd OG. I think he would be starting at LG right now had the coaches not wanted to redshirt him. I also think John Raridon is going to step in at center. Raridon is probably the 2nd most talented o-linemen on the roster after Gates - at least coming into the program from HS.

There isn't an o-line coach in college or the NFL that would get production out of the guys that are being forced to play right now for Nebraska.

The coaches are doing the right thing by sitting their 4 true frosh, so those options are out. Jalin Barnett and Christian Gaylord, your two four-star youngsters coming off redshirt seasons are still not ready. Your left with some vets who have never contributed (Knevel, Whitaker, Hahn) and are being forced into action because frankly, that's all there is to put out there. I am at the point where I would just force feed Barnett and Gaylord. They can't do much worse and at least they have perceived high ceilings. Unless those two just dont know the playbook, or the coaches think them getting whipped would crush their confidence for the future? The coaches think different. They've obviously seen the struggles, so if they still don't want to go that route, you gotta defer to their decision.

I still think the o-line is going to be quite good next season. Nick Gates should continue his growth and continue to be an All-Conference caliber player. Jerald Foster will be back healthy. Tanner Farmer will also be better (IMPO, he has also been All-Conference caliber when he's been healthy). IMO Matt Farniok is going to take the RT job from Knevel. Farniok has gotten good reports during camp and now while he is on the scout team from teammates and coaches who ask about who is impressing. He has the talent and demeanor that fits exactly what Cavanaugh is looking for. I think Boe Wilson will be a very good 3rd OG. I think he would be starting at LG right now had the coaches not wanted to redshirt him. I also think John Raridon is going to step in at center. Raridon is probably the 2nd most talented o-linemen on the roster after Gates - at least coming into the program from HS.

This is encouraging. Thanks for the breakdown. For now, we have to support the kids that are playing.

This is by HUGE boatloads the worst OLine I've ever seen at NU.

I gotta agree with ***. I can't even imagine what any OC could do that would help. They made Purdue's Dline look terrific and other too. Wow.....it's really something.

This is by HUGE boatloads the worst OLine I've ever seen at NU.

I gotta agree with ***. I can't even imagine what any OC could do that would help. They made Purdue's Dline look terrific and other too. Wow.....it's really something.

Ive been saying for a month now that this is the worst oline ive seen in my 30+ yrs as a fan.
And this staff made a huge mistake when they chose experience over talent and refused to play younger guys over conrad hahn knevel and utter. Coulda made a change or 2 several weeks ago but theyve stuck with and now we see the result

How do you know that? There's a tradeoff involved that's really hard to judge from the outside. We know the line is hurting right now, but the coaches decided to redshirt to build depth for the future and put a pipeline back in place. They are building for the future. And we really don't know if any of the redshirts or other young players would have made a difference last night. In fact, although we would have likely done a little better, I doubt it would have turned that blowout into a win, so would it have been worth the cost?

I'll grant your question is legitimate, but I don't see how any of us can know the real answer. I suppose if the line isn't better and deeper next year and going forward, it will look like the wrong choice was made now.

How do you know that? There's a tradeoff involved that's really hard to judge from the outside. We know the line is hurting right now, but the coaches decided to redshirt to build depth for the future and put a pipeline back in place. They are building for the future. And we really don't know if any of the redshirts or other young players would have made a difference last night. In fact, although we would have likely done a little better, I doubt it would have turned that blowout into a win, so would it have been worth the cost?

I'll grant your question is legitimate, but I don't see how any of us can know the real answer. I suppose if the line isn't better and deeper next year and going forward, it will look like the wrong choice was made now.
Its an answer made in hindsight. I dont necessarily blame them for the decision but it was a mistake in hindsight. How do i know that? Because theres no way we could possibly have a worse oline so it would have been worth it. Worst case scenario it didnt help us any but at least yhe young guys got experience and are ready to go for next year. Best case scenario our line was way better and hence the team is better.
All my opinion as opposed to fact Mr Nutt

I agree we started throwing too early, or abandoning the run. But the reason i'm kind of shrugging my shoulders to it is because it wouldn't have mattered. That beat down was happening last night no matter what the offensive gameplan.

I'm more upset with how our defense played.

That was a bit more depressing, mainly because we forced ZERO punts. I mean, they were not going to overwhelm OSU last night, and especially late in the game since they had to be on the field many more plays since our O was so anemic. Still, it was hard to stomach while watching that our D which had been performing better and better as season went along, suddenly couldn't get off the field.

I'm interested in your breakdown of the D, but to me it seemed that basically we had zero pass rush from our DEs and so often JT Barrett had plenty of time to set back and read and throw the open guy. Our DBs, though better this year, still can't cover for 5+ seconds (who can?).

And the times we did bring some extra heat of the edge we just missed a tackle, often it seemed due to a good move by barrett or whichever RB had the ball. Plus a few times we did get pressure on Barrett, but didn't get him, he improvised along with his wideouts, and they were maybe more dangerous then.

So, it seemed to me that Banker decided to take his chances with dropping 6-7 in pass coverage on pass plays and, well, hope.

Just as you say you can't judge Riley on just a few games, so to you can't judge an offensive line (or entire offense) on one botched play.

I agree, though, that our line isn't getting it done. Is it simply due to talent? If so, we need to start recruiting more linemen. If not, either the coach or the scheme needs to be adjusted. Either way, we're obviously doing things wrong in one area (recruiting) or another (coaching). This isn't a one game problem; we couldn't do much up front last year, either.
Or the years before last year.

Last edited:
We now currently have 4 guys starting along the line that have no business being there (in my opinion). Gates is the only one that should be there. Utter has this happen all the time, Hahn, Whitaker, and Knevel we all know about.
Not to mention all those high snaps that destroy the plays timing.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back