• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Many of us may not have realized Nebraska has a Men's basketball team

How about this...it's a great win if NU is able to build upon it. In the unlikely even NU craps the bed against PSU and Purdue the Michigan State game will ultimately mean very very little.

True. That's what Miles said about it in his presser, "It's big if you build on it. If you don't it's just noise."

So the Huskers go on the road and beat the 9th ranked team in the country by holding them to season lows in points and shooting percentage. They also commit just five turnovers, finish the game on a 9-2 run, and NEVER trail in the game and you don't consider that a great win simply because they only shot 36% from the field. Really? Did I mention that MSU shot 34% from the field?

Yes the Michigan game was a bad game for the Huskers, terrible in fact. But that has no bearing on the MSU game. A bad loss in one game doesn't prevent a great win in another game. We all understand Nebraska b-ball and I don't think anyone is ready to proclaim them tournament ready or even in the upper echelon of the B1G.

That still doesn't change the fact that MSU was a great win. Just enjoy it.

Nothing wrong with enjoying this win. Nothing wrong with viewing it as a great win if that is how you feel. Personally I do not view it as a great win because I think 40 or 50 teams could have beaten MSU that day. NU did not have to play a great game to get that win. MSU was missing uncontested shots all day long...that's why NU "held" them to 34% shooting.

Did any of the players or coaches say that NU played a great game? NO. Izzo said that NU fought like junkyard dogs but he never said the NU played a great or even a good game. Did Izzo say anything like...."Petteway was unstoppable" or "We had no solution to the smothering NU defense." No what Izzo said was," "We got what we deserved," "And the only guy to blame for that is me. It's my job to get them ready to play, and we didn't look ready to play."

Given NU's BB history, anytime you beat a top 10 team, it is cause for celebration. But MSU is #9 only on paper. Last Saturday they were far from being the #9 team in the country. That is why my view of this win is rather subdued. But nobody else needs to share my view. Go ahead, view it as a great win and enjoy it!

Husker fans thrive on any opportunity they can get to glorify the Huskers and their State! The MSU game provides an opportunity.

Hail to the Victors! To the glory of Rome and to the glory of Nebraska! Hip Hip Hooray! :huskerflag:

Last edited:

Nebraska's 1994 win over Miami was not a great win. Miami was clearly a team already on the decline. They were presumed to be a great team at the time and extremely difficult if not impossible to beat at home, due to their 58-game home win streak. But that streak was ended earlier that year by a loss to Washington, and after losing to us they went on to lose 8 more home games over the next 4 years, so our win over them on their home field is not very significant. The only reason NU won that game was because Miami was overconfident and didn't come ready to play as their offense underperformed that night. Our offense sputtered as well -- we were behind almost the entire game. Boy, did we get lucky!
Ummmm let me see, Miami in decline with Ray Lewis and Warren Sapp on Miamis home field where the Huskers had previously struggled against dominating defenses....... and Tommie Frazier hadn't played in months. Terry Connealy, Christian Peters mixed with Stewart, Ellis blitzing Costa relentlessly had something to do with their offensive production. I've seen some bat crap crazy posts on this site but stating the Husker beating Miami in Miami ( more like pounding them into submission in the heat and humidity) was not a great win might be the most ridiculous statement I've seen, ever

Wow

[video=youtube;988Rsnno2Ik]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=988Rsnno2Ik[/video]

Ummmm let me see, Miami in decline with Ray Lewis and Warren Sapp on Miamis home field where the Huskers had previously struggled against dominating defenses....... and Tommie Frazier hadn't played in months. Terry Connealy, Christian Peters mixed with Stewart, Ellis blitzing Costa relentlessly had something to do with their offensive production. I've seen some bat crap crazy posts on this site but stating the Husker beating Miami in Miami ( more like pounding them into submission in the heat and humidity) was not a great win might be the most ridiculous statement I've seen, ever

Wow

Like fishing in a barrel, huh RDR? :lol:

Not one of your better efforts.

I humbly agree. Any reasonably rational person would immediately see the point I was making and just ignore it.

Wow

QED

Nothing wrong with enjoying this win. Nothing wrong with viewing it as a great win if that is how you feel. Personally I do not view it as a great win because I think 40 or 50 teams could have beaten MSU that day. NU did not have to play a great game to get that win. MSU was missing uncontested shots all day long...that's why NU "held" them to 34% shooting.

Did any of the players or coaches say that NU played a great game? NO. Izzo said that NU fought like junkyard dogs but he never said the NU played a great or even a good game. Did Izzo say anything like...."Petteway was unstoppable" or "We had no solution to the smothering NU defense." No what Izzo said was," "We got what we deserved," "And the only guy to blame for that is me. It's my job to get them ready to play, and we didn't look ready to play."

Given NU's BB history, anytime you beat a top 10 team, it is cause for celebration. But MSU is #9 only on paper. Last Saturday they were far from being the #9 team in the country. That is why my view of this win is rather subdued. But nobody else needs to share my view. Go ahead, view it as a great win and enjoy it!

Husker fans thrive on any opportunity they can get to glorify the Huskers and their State! The MSU game provides an opportunity.

Hail to the Victors! To the glory of Rome and to the glory of Nebraska! Hip Hip Hooray! :huskerflag:

Just curious. Going by your standards, what was the last great win for the Husker football team?

Just curious. Going by your standards, what was the last great win for the Husker football team?

I'd say when NU became the 1st team to beat a Hoke-coached Michigan Team in Ann Arbor. Our last game with Georgia was nice as well.

It is always great to beat a traditiaonal football power.

If NU beats Duke in the sweet sixteen this year, I will feel the same. I guess MSU could be considered a traditional BB power, but for some reason I do not see them that way.

I'd say when NU became the 1st team to beat a Hoke-coached Michigan Team in Ann Arbor. Our last game with Georgia was nice as well.

It is always great to beat a traditiaonal football power.

If NU beats Duke in the sweet sixteen this year, I will feel the same. I guess MSU could be considered a traditional BB power, but for some reason I do not see them that way.

I am not sure which is more hilarious. You saying that beating two teams that finished out of the rankings were great wins or making the comparison that the basketball team beating Duke in the sweet 16 would be equal to those wins.

Lets take Michigan as an example. I think it was certainly a good win. But dissecting that game as you would, Michigan played poorly. They didn't gain nearly as much yardage as they usually do and Nebraska didn't either so Nebraska must have played poorly as well. Its a BS argument to make in both sports. Defense is played for a reason.

I am not sure why some seem to have an animosity towards the basketball team but it is obvious in some.

I am not sure which is more hilarious. You saying that beating two teams that finished out of the rankings were great wins or making the comparison that the basketball team beating Duke in the sweet 16 would be equal to those wins.

Lets take Michigan as an example. I think it was certainly a good win. But dissecting that game as you would, Michigan played poorly. They didn't gain nearly as much yardage as they usually do and Nebraska didn't either so Nebraska must have played poorly as well. Its a BS argument to make in both sports. Defense is played for a reason.

I am not sure why some seem to have an animosity towards the basketball team but it is obvious in some.

You're right. Those were not great wins. As you say, they were merely good wins. They were wins I really enjoyed though. Actually I would say Nebraska's last great win in football was over Texas A&M in the Big 12 championship in 1997 followed by their win over Payton Manning and Tennesse in the Bowl game the same year.

I don't have anything against the BB team. I think the BB team is having a good year. They might qualify for the NCAA tournament. They have a great home record. They beat tOSU and almost beat Michigan in Lincoln.

If they beat Duke in the sweet 16 they will have a great win similar to the wins by the football team in 1997.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back