• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Many of us may not have realized Nebraska has a Men's basketball team

Since I started this thread I guess I can be called a Kool-aiders. I don't know how you are certain we can't also see reality. As Miles as progressed I've given him kudos over on the basketball board. When we stunk early in the season at times, and after Michigan, I argued that upward progress is not a straight line path, and we need to continue to have patience. And anyway, I haven't seen anyone on the basketball board say we will go 6-0.

I think kool-aiders are much more realistic than you give them credit for. I don't know why you are down on people celebrating this win.

Because despite all that, Miles unquestionably DOES have this team on a steep upward trajectory at this moment. That makes this a big win. That doesn't tell us how far this trajectory will end up taking us, And anyway, nobody said it meant we were a top team in the Big 10. Being 6th at this point, deservedly so, is a freaking AMAZING achievement.

So excuse me while I and my kool aid drunken friends celebrate it. ;)

The basketball team really did stink it up in some games this season. Much like the defense on the football team. The funny thing is nobody made excuses for the basketball team like was done for our defense. There is nothing wrong with saying they stink when they stink. The football defense improved. The basketball team has improved. Hopefully there are better times ahead for both.

Yea, another silly analogy. But guess when you have no real knowledge of the game this is what the results give you as a conclusion. You mind telling us what party they were at so late the night before their game. How about informing us where their coach, who prides himself on his disciplined teams, was during this time? Can we discredit the losses NU's football team took to NwU in 2011 or it's loss to ISU in 09 to this same issue.

Jeez, when did this forum turn into a lawsuit? Why do people think people shouldn't comment unless they have proven facts? That's no fun.

Nebraska was picked last in the conference before the season. I think its safe to savor the success the team has had. Are they world beaters, No. But not the bottom feeders they were forecast to be.

Agreed. While I don't have strong feelings either way on Miles when you are picked last and you beat a team that is ranked 9th winning should be the only thing that matters. No matter who is spinning where.

Nebraska's win at Michigan State in basketball was like Appalachian State's win at Michigan in football. A great win! :lol:

Upsets are awesome!

Can we discredit the losses NU's football team took to NwU in 2011 or it's loss to ISU in 09 to this same issue.

I'll bet the Iowa State football fans swarmed their basketball forums when they beat us in 2009: "Many of us may not have realized Iowa State has a Men's football team."

Nebraska's 1994 win over Miami was not a great win. Miami was clearly a team already on the decline. They were presumed to be a great team at the time and extremely difficult if not impossible to beat at home, due to their 58-game home win streak. But that streak was ended earlier that year by a loss to Washington, and after losing to us they went on to lose 8 more home games over the next 4 years, so our win over them on their home field is not very significant. The only reason NU won that game was because Miami was overconfident and didn't come ready to play as their offense underperformed that night. Our offense sputtered as well -- we were behind almost the entire game. Boy, did we get lucky!

Last edited:
This excerpt from an article on ESPN.

FGCU was set to open its season at Nebraska. The university’s president, Wilson Bradshaw, told Kavanagh he wanted to attend the game. “What time does the charter flight leave?” he asked. Kavanagh informed him there would be no charter. Dunk City aside, this was still a low-budget program in a mid-major league. Charter flights would be reserved for the postseason.

They arrived to play a middling Cornhuskers team. In the crowd, students held signs that said, “We’re the real dunk city.”

My the team sure has come a long way since being called 'middling' which I am not sure what that means but it can't be good.

The rest of the article all though there is nothing else cornhusker related.

http://grantland.com/features/fgcu-eagles-ncaa-basketball-dunk-city-no-more/

Great win? Really? NU shot 36% and won because MSU only shot 34%. I think both teams shot poorly and both teams generally played poorly. NU won despite themselves. It was not a great win IMHO.

If DONU had played great and won, I would call it a great win, but they played so-so and won. I guess you could say they played great defense to secure the win, but I saw MSU miss a lot of open shots, shots that Michigan was making when they beat us by 40 points.

So the Huskers go on the road and beat the 9th ranked team in the country by holding them to season lows in points and shooting percentage. They also commit just five turnovers, finish the game on a 9-2 run, and NEVER trail in the game and you don't consider that a great win simply because they only shot 36% from the field. Really? Did I mention that MSU shot 34% from the field?

Yes the Michigan game was a bad game for the Huskers, terrible in fact. But that has no bearing on the MSU game. A bad loss in one game doesn't prevent a great win in another game. We all understand Nebraska b-ball and I don't think anyone is ready to proclaim them tournament ready or even in the upper echelon of the B1G.

That still doesn't change the fact that MSU was a great win. Just enjoy it.

Nebraska was picked last in the conference before the season. I think its safe to savor the success the team has had. Are they world beaters, No. But not the bottom feeders they were forecast to be.

Its almost as if some think they are still bottom feeders and they are lucky.

Go Big Red???

I love this picture. The guy not in the suit who acted so casual in arguably the toughest venue in the Big against a big time coach is either a yokel, or very smart. I'm betting on smart.

Tim Miles and Tom Izzo.jpg

If this isn't a big win for you, that's fine. There will be bigger. :)

Last edited:
Nebraska's 1994 win over Miami was not a great win. Miami was clearly a team already on the decline. They were presumed to be a great team at the time and extremely difficult if not impossible to beat at home, due to their 58-game home win streak. But that streak was ended earlier that year by a loss to Washington, and after losing to us they went on to lose 8 more home games over the next 4 years, so our win over them on their home field is not very significant. The only reason NU won that game was because Miami was overconfident and didn't come ready to play as their offense underperformed that night. Our offense sputtered as well -- we were behind almost the entire game. Boy, did we get lucky!

Not one of your better efforts.

I love this picture. The guy not in the suit who acted so casual in arguably the toughest venue in the Big against a big time coach is either a yokel, or very smart. I'm betting on smart.

View attachment 5992

If this isn't a big win for you, that's fine. There will be bigger. :)

Great photo!

The people who don't grasp how big this win was either:

A. Don't really care about Nebraska basketball

or

B. Don't fully realize the history of this mostly bottom-feeding program

or

C. Pretend they either care about basketball or understand the history of this mostly bottom-feeding program

Last edited:

How about this...it's a great win if NU is able to build upon it. In the unlikely even NU craps the bed against PSU and Purdue the Michigan State game will ultimately mean very very little.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back