• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Many of us may not have realized Nebraska has a Men's basketball team

You're right. Those were not great wins. As you say, they were merely good wins. They were wins I really enjoyed though. Actually I would say Nebraska's last great win in football was over Texas A&M in the Big 12 championship in 1997 followed by their win over Payton Manning and Tennesse in the Bowl game the same year.

I don't have anything against the BB team. I think the BB team is having a good year. They might qualify for the NCAA tournament. They have a great home record. They beat tOSU and almost beat Michigan in Lincoln.

If they beat Duke in the sweet 16 they will have a great win similar to the wins by the football team in 1997.

I think if the basketball team makes the tournament and beats anyone, it would be a better win than any the football team had in 1997. I say that because in 1997, Nebraska was a dynasty in football and was pretty much expected to beat almost anyone who stepped on the field with them. This years Husker basketball team was picked to finish dead last in the conference and the program as a whole doesn't really have much to hang their hat on. No NCAA tournament wins ever. Its all about perspective.

I have noticed many teams have ranked teams in both football and basketball. I hope that Nebraska joins this group soon.

I go over to the BB board after most games to lurk and pick up on some of the buzz from the hard core round ball fans. There's a lot of good insightful stuff there and I appreciate those that contribute.

But the funny thing is how the overall tenor of the discourse there has changed over the course of the last month. Some were ready to fire Miles a month ago and now he is touted by some as a candidate for B1G Coach of the Year. Likewise with the players with the morphing from jerks to geniuses in the same amount of time. What a fickle fan base.

Then there are those who can't pass up a jab at either players, Bo or the football program in general somehow suggesting that superiority of this improvement in the basketball program compared to their opinionated perception of the football program is somehow significant. I don't understand that pettiness at all.

I hope Coach Miles motivates these guys to keep up the great run they are on and moves this program to a competitive, hard nosed team. GBR

UMMMM??????

Not me Brother! I have been in Mr Miles corner since day one! How can you not like this man and what he has done?

He is fun and fun to be around BUT he also takes full control of the game and knows exactly what has to be done!

Ditto. :cool:

You're right. Those were not great wins. As you say, they were merely good wins. They were wins I really enjoyed though. Actually I would say Nebraska's last great win in football was over Texas A&M in the Big 12 championship in 1997 followed by their win over Payton Manning and Tennesse in the Bowl game the same year.

I don't have anything against the BB team. I think the BB team is having a good year. They might qualify for the NCAA tournament. They have a great home record. They beat tOSU and almost beat Michigan in Lincoln.

If they beat Duke in the sweet 16 they will have a great win similar to the wins by the football team in 1997.

I think if the basketball team makes the tournament and beats anyone, it would be a better win than any the football team had in 1997. I say that because in 1997, Nebraska was a dynasty in football and was pretty much expected to beat almost anyone who stepped on the field with them. This years Husker basketball team was picked to finish dead last in the conference and the program as a whole doesn't really have much to hang their hat on. No NCAA tournament wins ever. Its all about perspective.

I have noticed many teams have ranked teams in both football and basketball. I hope that Nebraska joins this group soon.

Someone's trying to compare apples to oranges here.

I'm glad to have purchased a couple of season tix to this years hoops. The ride has been fantastic, from the beginning of the year up till now. I like the premise of this thread also, had I not been into the hoops team I may not have realized what a special ride their on and would be thankful for the "heads-up." Go Big Red!!!

Wow, Paramus, are you actually Formunda moving his hatred for Tim Miles to the football board?? I guess I need to stop by here more often to see some of the other basketball threads...

In the moment, the win was HUGE! Not only was the game the first win over Sparty, it was a road win! If you have been paying attention, the team has struggled mightily on the road. Getting a win is great for confidence! No one on the basketball board has claimed the Huskers are a national title contender, but it is nice to see the team starting to play well! Coach Miles is following his process for building a team that has worked at his previous stops.

How about this...it's a great win if NU is able to build upon it. In the unlikely even NU craps the bed against PSU and Purdue the Michigan State game will ultimately mean very very little.

Michigan St is a great win regardless of what happens in any other game. We would like for NU to build upon it so that we can end with a decent or good season, but that doesn't take away from the fact that they beat one of the nations best teams on their home court.

Ummmm let me see, Miami in decline with Ray Lewis and Warren Sapp on Miamis home field where the Huskers had previously struggled against dominating defenses....... and Tommie Frazier hadn't played in months. Terry Connealy, Christian Peters mixed with Stewart, Ellis blitzing Costa relentlessly had something to do with their offensive production. I've seen some bat crap crazy posts on this site but stating the Husker beating Miami in Miami ( more like pounding them into submission in the heat and humidity) was not a great win might be the most ridiculous statement I've seen, ever

Wow

[video=youtube;988Rsnno2Ik]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=988Rsnno2Ik[/video]

triple+facepalm+poster.jpg

I'd say when NU became the 1st team to beat a Hoke-coached Michigan Team in Ann Arbor. Our last game with Georgia was nice as well.

It is always great to beat a traditiaonal football power.

If NU beats Duke in the sweet sixteen this year, I will feel the same. I guess MSU could be considered a traditional BB power, but for some reason I do not see them that way.

face-palm-demotivational-poster-1233926135.jpg

Michigan St is a great win regardless of what happens in any other game. We would like for NU to build upon it so that we can end with a decent or good season, but that doesn't take away from the fact that they beat one of the nations best teams on their home court.

You still think beating MSU is a great win? Not when compared to these gems:

1. The 1959 meeting between NU and Oklahoma in Football...often considered Nebraska’s biggest upset ever. On that day, unranked Nebraska defeated highly-ranked Oklahoma 25–21 in Lincoln, ending Oklahoma's 74-game Big 8 conference win streak. :banana:

2. 1971. Nebraska 35, Oklahoma 31. Anytime you win the game of the century, you have without question achieved a great win. :banana:

Those are two examples of legitimate great wins. The NU BB team's win over MSU is dwarfed by those two wins...therefore it cannot qualify as a great win. I good win, a nice win, an upset win, and unexpected win...yes, definitely....but not a great win when compared to the truly great wins in Husker history.

Now, you need to go print this out, cumple it up and smoke it in your pipe instead of that other stuff you have been using lately.

Last edited:
You still think beating MSU is a great win? Not when compared to these gems:

1. The 1959 meeting between NU and Oklahoma in Football...often considered Nebraska’s biggest upset ever. On that day, unranked Nebraska defeated highly-ranked Oklahoma 25–21 in Lincoln, ending Oklahoma's 74-game Big 8 conference win streak. :banana:

2. 1971. Nebraska 35, Oklahoma 31. Anytime you win the game of the century, you have without question achieved a great win. :banana:

Those are two examples of legitimate great wins. The NU BB team's win over MSU is dwarfed by those two wins...therefore it cannot qualify as a great win. I good win, a nice win, an upset win, and unexpected win...yes, definitely....but not a great win when compared to the truly great wins in Husker history.

Now, you need to go print this out, cumple it up and smoke it in your pipe instead of that other stuff you have been using lately.

:Biggrin:

How about this...it's a great win if NU is able to build upon it. In the unlikely even NU craps the bed against PSU and Purdue the Michigan State game will ultimately mean very very little.

Bingo, Lets not get over board just yet. This team has look bad at times this season, it was a nice win but lets leave it at that.

Nebraska has had a great basketball program for years.......it's called Creighton University. ;)

But a very nice win for the Huskers. Hopefully the Huskers can continue building something in Lincoln under Miles.

I'd say when NU became the 1st team to beat a Hoke-coached Michigan Team in Ann Arbor. Our last game with Georgia was nice as well.

It is always great to beat a traditiaonal football power.

If NU beats Duke in the sweet sixteen this year, I will feel the same. I guess MSU could be considered a traditional BB power, but for some reason I do not see them that way.

Nebraska football beating two teams that finished the 2013 season unranked is being applied as a basis for your argument? Seriously?

Michigan State -- especially with Tom Izzo -- has consistently been one of the top programs in the country.

MSU has been to 16 consecutive NCAA Tournaments under Izzo, in his 17 years as head coach through last season. Only Kansas and Duke have longer current streaks.

MSU has also been to six Final Fours under Izzo, two championship games, and won the national title in 2000. Izzo also is one of only three coaches to ever guide his team to three consecutive Final Fours (since the tournament expanded in 1985) -- and has the third highest winning percentage in the NCAA Tournament among all active coaches. And only Coach K and Roy Williams have more NCAA Tournament wins (by 1 and 2 games, meaning Izzo has the opportunity to surpass them both this season).

Prior to Izzo, Jud Heathcote coached MSU to 9 NCAA Tournament appearances -- and won the national title in 1979 with Magic Johnson (which still ranks as the single most viewed game in college basketball television history in their matchup with Larry Bird's Indiana State team).

Michigan State has been a basketball power for a long time now -- and they've been more consistently relevant in college basketball over the past 25-35 years than has either Michigan or Georgia in football.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back