• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Terry Joesph to A&M?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't blame him one bit for bolting, but I do think his remark about "getting me a lot of money" was glib, unnecessary and rather stupid.

Well, might have been those things; but, it certainly was not 'deceitful' as mentioned by someone else. In fact, in a way, it was quite refreshing... I may not have read all the stories; but, what I saw seemed to indicate that he was up front about the money being the key factor.

Better than making up something and saying "it's not about the money"...

Anyone who blames TJ for taking a 25% pay increase (not to mention the bump from no state income tax), is being ridiculous, imo.

Plus, this is how coaches build their resume... It'd be nice to have a guy stick around for at least 5 to 6 years, but that's become more rare, unfortunately.

ok, listen everyone. It isn't that he is taking a job for more money...it is the very poor way he stated it.....and when he stated it. That is all. Good luck TJ but you can and will be replaced. This isn't like an Arkansas State where the HC has left each of the last 3 seasons! It is a DB coach.

I don't blame him one bit for bolting, but I do think his remark about "getting me a lot of money" was glib, unnecessary and rather stupid.

Agree completely. His comment re money suggests he lacks maturity, or poise, or sophistication, or something. Very dumb remark.

Well, might have been those things; but, it certainly was not 'deceitful' as mentioned by someone else. In fact, in a way, it was quite refreshing... I may not have read all the stories; but, what I saw seemed to indicate that he was up front about the money being the key factor.

Better than making up something and saying "it's not about the money"...

He doesn't need to make anything up. It goes without saying that money is a factor. Just say "I have an offer, and I'm considering it."

I wonder if that's even true, but accepting that it is, can you imagine if a large pay raise was announced for Els this season?

Well, that's up to Bo. You give a guy two additional responsibilities other than just coaching his position, you get paid for it at most places. If Els doesn't deserve the pay for doing three jobs then I question if he deserves the three titles he holds.

That's a heck of an accusation based on little more than a newspaper quote. We don't know what conversations happened between Bo, SE and TJ over the last few weeks. I know he said he was going to talk to Bo, but we don't know if that was more like "one last time"; we also don't know if TJ had already been told that a raise to $300k wasn't in the works.

Why did he make any of this public? What was the point? Bo in this case did absolutely nothing wrong imo. BTW.. comes back to what I said before!! This is all about…….. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ nothing more. Not buying into this was some TEST or conspiracy involving Bo or SE!! This is about MONEY and the more the better!

Why was TJ screwing around offering a recruit a scholie to AtM that he recruited while EMPLOYED by Nebraska? Does that seem even remotely ethical to you? Gimme a break here……….. So it's what……. anything goes? That so stinks….. I could not CARE LESS if TJ was going for gold… fine and dandy. The way it was handled was total bush league including tampering with that recruit.

Listen if there is ZERO loyalty that's fine…… cause the other creep pulled the same stuff tampering with Heard!! No loyalty.. none. That's the way the game is played. No way could Bo allow TJ's salary to be all out of whack with other coaches. Bo did the right thing and TJ was very sneaky imo. You can justify all you want but monkeying around with a recruit TJ was PAID to recruit on OUR DIME was pretty lousy. I'm not interested in some misplaced equivocation either! TJ was underhanded, did not need to get the press involved (he did that). I think Bo treated the guy right……. and this the thanks for being loyal to your staff!!! Lesson learned or it should be by Bo.

Let me say this again……. I could not care less TJ was trying to pad his pockets but in the way he did it. Good freaken riddens because people like him aren't needed in Lincoln………….

6 of 10
Georgia football coaches salaries

Scott Lakatos

Scott_Lakatos.jpg

Radi Nabulsi, UGA Sports​
Scott Lakatos, secondary coach, $235,000.

Sorry, Beck was 11th best paid assistant overall regardless of position. Nebraska had the 23rd best assistant salary budget. You can sort by school.
Sort by position would be nice feature.

Florida State #1 Pass Efficiency Defense (DB coach is also DC):

Position2012Salary2013SalaryDifference
Head CoachJimbo Fisher2750000"27500000
QBDameyune Craig205000James Coley (OC)335000130000
RBEddie Gran335000Randy Sanders225000-110000
TEJames Coley (OC)335000Billy Napier275000-60000
WRLawrence Dawsey242,000"242,0000
OLRick Trickett400000"4000000
DC/DBMark Stoops575000Jeremy Pruitt545000-30000
LBGreg Hudson335000Charles Kelly275000-60000
DTOdell Haggins275000Odell Haggins2750000
DED.J. Eliot205000Sal Sunseri200000-5000

<tbody>
</tbody>

Harlon Barnett Michigan State Secondary Coach $230,000 (from the USAToday link)

No idea whatsoever who will be the next DB coach. Just wanted to throw out some names of guys who are on the same level as Terry Joseph.

First name I thought of was former Rutgers and Tampa Bay DB coach Jeff Hafley. Hafley was arguably the best recruiter in the Big East while at Rutgers and is a good coach. He is looking for employment.

Some DB coaches who are established as top notch (and also worth 300k ;)): Grady Brown (South Carolina), Demetrice Martin (UCLA), Anthony Poindexter (Virginia), Bobby Jack Wright (Oklahoma), Travaris Robinson (Florida), Tony Hughes (Miss St/also RC), Kerry Coombs (Ohio St), John Neal (Oregon), Trey Haverty (Tx Tech/also ST coach), Chip West (Virginia/also RC), Morgan Scalley (Utah/also RC), Clay Jennings (TCU), Paul Williams (Miami), Cornell Ford (Missouri), Ben Strickland (Wisconsin), Darrell Wilson (Rutgers)

There are several coaches who are apart of "lesser" teams' staffs and would be nice additions: Daryl Dixon (Ball State), Chris Vaughn (Memphis), Tony White (San Diego St), Jeff Popovich (UTSA), Mike Cassity (WKU), Francis Brown (Temple).

I want to spot light a couple of the non BCS guys because IMPO they are coaches on the rise who would be smart "call ups" to an elite program like Nebraska.

Daryl Dixon. Coaches in the B1G footprint already and personally recruits Illinois - where he was also an asst. strength coach and GA. Brought to Illinois by Ron Zook after playing at Florida under Zook. Named by ESPN as the MAC Recruiter of the Year in 2012 and ranked as the No. 2 MAC recruiter by 24/7 Sports in 2012. Good college player who had a short NFL stint. Wont be at Ball State much longer. Would not be shocked if Zook hired him if/when he takes another coaching gig.

Tony White. Recruits Cali, Texas and Florida. Is the recruiting coordinator for the Aztecs and was named 2013 Non-BCS Recruiter of the Year by Rivals. Recruits outside of his own position group, currently has commitments from 2 LB, DE, DB, OL and K.

Chris Vaughn. Extensive experience as a recruiting coordinator in the SEC with Ole Miss and Arkansas. Has been named by Rivals as a Top 25 recruiter (2009).

Jeff Popovich. Named Sun Belt Conf. Recruiter of the Year in 2011 by Rivals. Was a coaching asst. at Miami where he focused on developing scouting reports and game plans. Helped coordinate the Pro Days and Junior Days at FIU.

Pelini wont hire any of these guys, but I liked talking about them :p

Suffice to say that a DB or Secondary coach at most schools is one of the lower paid assistants. Seems to be lower than $250,000 at most schools.

Interestingly, only three of hte "$300k coaches" make more than $250k.

Only 4 are paid more than T. Joseph currently is (and I can see what TJ saw a $300k contract for a DB coach as pretty huge money)
Here are their 2012 salaries:

G. Brown$180k
D. Martin$237k
A. Poindexter$225k
B. Wright$140k
T. Robinson$311k
T. Hughes$227k
K. Coombs$305k
J. Neal$321k
T. Haverty$237k
C. West$223k
M. Scalley$210k
C. Jennings---
P. Williams---
C. Ford$243k
B. Strickland$140k
D. Wilson$250k

<tbody>
</tbody>

It doesn't seem Nebraska is a behind the time/salary schedules as has been implied.

Can't argue with the statement that NU needs to pay assistants the going rate...especially if they want to keep them.

With regard to Marrow/Cotton. Bo wouldn't remove Cotton if his own job relied on it.

Nebraska pays in the top quartile of CFB, and #3 in the B10.

Your statement re: Cotton both exaggerates the issue and under values Cotton's contributions.

God, the misinformation that is bandied about and eventually accepted as "fact" is just mind boggling.

Market bears more for position coaches/coordinators than solely position coaches at major universities. That is why I know it is deserved. I am not happy with our recruiting attack plan this year or our special teams, but he deserves more if we are going to follow the trend of other major universities...

Just trying to condense all of this. It seems we are paying "the going rate" at least for DB or Secondary coaches. However *** is probably correct that we will need to pay more to follow the current trend meaning a $300,000 DB coach.

What would be more effective would be to spend some of that money on private/leased jets instead of flying commercial on recruiting trips.

:2cents:

Just trying to condense all of this. It seems we are paying "the going rate" at least for DB or Secondary coaches. However *** is probably correct that we will need to pay more to follow the current trend meaning a $300,000 DB coach.

What would be more effective would be to spend some of that money on private/leased jets instead of flying commercial on recruiting trips.

:2cents:

I think it's sad we can't pay to keep a coach on a lateral move. I also read an article that says Michigan State is going to over take us and be the third highest paying program for coaches this coming year, so where do you draw the line?

I haven't laid out the timeline, but if he talked to Bo/SE on Saturday night or Sunday morning, what's the issue?

it boils down to, was TJ recruiting for A&M before officially leaving NU.. It very much looks like TJ was recruiting for A&M before officially leaving NU. That is what it looks like, and a recruit is given TJ credit for recruiting him.. per the rivals video.

Last edited:

I haven't laid out the timeline, but if he talked to Bo/SE on Saturday night or Sunday morning, what's the issue?

On Saturday, Joseph told the media that he had not decided on what he would do and that he had told Bo he could return to Lincoln and discuss his future with Bo and SE. He said he was going to meet with Bo and/or SE Sunday afternoon.

Saturday night, while on his way back to Nebraska, he extended an offer on behalf of A&M to a recruit, telling the recruit that he was on his way to Lincoln, but that he would be returning to College Station on Tuesday to sign the contract.

He either knowingly played the media, Nebraska or the recruit or a combination of the three. Neither one looks good for his reputation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back