• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked EA Sports Cancels NCAA Football Video Game Series

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you quantify such a thing? The #15 jersey isn't that hard, but DVD sales and game replays? I mean come on. Are we going to have to start negotiating royalty contracts with players when they sign their letter of intent?

That's something the NCAA and members schools should have thought of before monetizing the players' efforts at every opportunity. My take is that you put it in a Trust to benefit all players post graduation.

What some of you (who likely don't know the game from Adam) are not understanding is this...

The game comes with rosters that are 100% obviously modeled after the current seasons players... nobody is even remotely disputing this... However... the game does not include any names whatsoever... You either have to type them in or order a file from online from a service that does it all for you...

The game would be exactly the same if they just put make believe guys on the game with no relation but left them as an open template to edit... people would still create all of their favorite players and still pay services that edited all the imaginary players into the likeness of the real ones...

EA wants to, is willing to and had been willing to set aside royalty monies for all the players... the NCAA has said no because they know what a big bag or worms it could open...

Everyone with common sense feels that Manziel should be able to get money off his likeness and celebrity... the school provided the path to his celebrity but he created it in his own image... (for better or worse)... Just as I am sure that everyone thought Jeremy Bloom should have been able to play football for the vermin and still ski in the Olympics at the same time...

What most of us on here are pissed about is that this game is going to be ruined and abandoned because O'Bannon, Keller and Hart did not make it in the pros... that is why all of this happened... not because they were unhappy that they were on a video game without being compensated but because they knew they could get money from a suit...

Last edited:
Unbelievable. Truly unbelievable...its a VIDEO GAME!! The players aren't REAL in the game...they are virtual...EA did nothing more than provide a free evaluation of the players skill sets in virtual terms...of the 50 or so skill categories, who knows how fast or strong a kid is...is TM a 91 or 93?...he's neither...how about the magazines. Their in depth player profiles are what sells...do the kids get paid? If EA came out and said the teams are all even and the players have computer generated ratings. What happens if its too close. What happens if they translate player ratings from 40 times and vertical leaps to a scale to 100 and sell you that book to manually download or input into the game to play...would you sue them for a virtual translation??? So asinine...

You honestly don't think Tommie Frazier HAS EARNED some of the money that comes from DVD sales, #15 jersey sales and the endless replay of the championship games on ESPN Classic, BTN, Root et al?

Tommie earned plenty of money off of his likeness and celebrity after his playing days were done... to deny that is pure ostrich in the sand..

Last edited:

What some of you (who likely don't know the game from Adam) are not understanding is this...

The game comes with rosters that are 100% obviously modeled after the current seasons players... nobody is even remotely disputing this... However... the game does not include any names whatsoever... You either have to type them in or order a file from online from a service that does it all for you...

The game would be exactly the same if they just put make believe guys on the game with no relation but left them as an open template to edit... people would still create all of their favorite players and still pay services that edited all the imaginary players into the likeness of the real ones...

EA wants to, is willing to and had been willing to set aside royalty monies for all the players... the NCAA has said no because they know what a big bag or worms it could open...

Everyone with common sense feels that Manziel should be able to get money off his likeness and celebrity... the school provided the path to his celebrity but he created it in his own image... (for better of for worse)... Just as I am sure that everyone thought Jeremy Bloom should have been able to play football for the vermin and still ski in the Olympics at the same time...

What most of us on here are pissed about is that this game is going to be ruined and abandoned because O'Bannon, Keller and Hart did not make it in the pros... that is why all of this happened... not because they were unhappy that they were on a video game without being compensated but because they knew they could get money from a suit...

That is not "why all this happened." This all happened because college athletics went from an enterprise worth tens of millions to an enterprise worth tens of billions in less than 20 years. You can blame O'Bannon and Keller all you want. A lawsuit was coming with or without them.

Tommie earned plenty of money off of his likeness and celebrity after his playing days were done... to deny that is pure ostrich in the sand..

Really? From what source did he earn "plenty of money?" And exactly how much is "plenty of money" for a guy who's value to NU is in the millions?

I hope everyone knows what a nasty Pandora's box these suits are aiming to open are going to leave us with...

College football is going to be a shell of itself soon...

I played college football... do you see me asking for money? Nope... I just took that education and made a life for myself..

HuskerPilk if you are out there... your likeness was certainly used on NCAA Football 2003 and 4.... do you feel like you are owed money?

Attachments

• bth_ostrich.gif
    bth_ostrich.gif
    6.4 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Doesnt ESPN make money off the players too? As HuskerJ said, magazines, newspapers, any media for that matter. Money is constantly trading hands because of these kids. If they have an issue with the money, go to a smaller school where its a non issue. They want to be on SportsCenter, they want to be on a primetime slot, they want their faces on TV on sidelines, they want to do all the things associated with D1 football, but yet have an issue when it actually happens?? Tell me where that makes sense.

Last edited:
Have you seen how much money Nike and Adidas make by forcing college athletes to wear their products?

Do you know how much beer is sold at bars nationwide while these fine young men battle on the gridiron?

The amount local businesses charge for parking is border line criminal.

Surely all these people making money off unpaid amateurs owe something to the players?

/endsarcasticrant

I hope everyone knows what a nasty Pandora's box these suits are aiming to open are going to leave us with...

College football is going to be a shell of itself soon...
I played college football... do you see me asking for money? Nope... I just took that education and made a life for myself..

HuskerPilk if you are out there... your likeness was certainly used on NCAA Football 2003 and 4.... do you feel like you are owed money?

Certainly not because of this lawsuit alone. There's lots of things that'll play a role in college football's decline, if that ever comes to be. This will just be one piece.

Certainly not because of this lawsuit alone. There's lots of things that'll play a role in college football's decline, if that ever comes to be. This will just be one piece.

The second you open the door to money, people will start coming in in droves. This will unravel the ball faster than anything else since money is the lifeblood of college football, both for the associations and the players now unfortunately.

Sam Keller is in my top three of most hated college athletes... blames everything on other people and got beat out by Rudy freakin' Carpenter, time to look yourself in the mirror, you aren't that sweet. There were other behind the scenes things he did to our football team besides being an awful QB and eventually being one of the people that spear headed taking away the only video game I still played...

Needless to say I will not be purchasing any used car from him in the future...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back