• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked EA Sports Cancels NCAA Football Video Game Series

Status
Not open for further replies.
These arguments are so incredibly stupid.

How so? If likeness in a video game warrants compensation, then any likeness in any video game warrants compensation...or are we narrow mindedly just talking about college football...wow...its a VIDEO GAME!!!!!

Media covering a sporting eve:nt is NOT a commercial enterprise in the same way that EA sports is.

Parking lot money? really? I was in a fraternity that sold the lot on game days. Of course the players don't have rights to that money. neither does the university. NOW...if we put up a billboard that said "Gerry Gdowski says park here! ------>" with his likeness on it? That's crossing the line. I'm sure if we used University of Neb. logos in any advertising for parking they would have been on our kdoorstep the first Monday after we tried it.

Which player in the game is named Gerry gdowski?

They didn't? So there were no actual individuals whose virtual capabilities, rank, involvement and affiliation were captured within the game? How about the virtual campaign to overtake Iwo jima and raise the flag? That's in the game...those people are easily isolated and recognizable...

Then pay them. ESPECIALLY if that was a vital component of the game. Did people buy the game because of the Iwo Jima flag scene? Doubtful. The ONLY reason the EA sports games are as wildly popular as they are is because you ARE Taylor Martinez carrying the ball or J'Daveon Clowny crushing the QB. I believe there was a looooooong thread on one of these boards with guys talking about the game or some season they put together...whatever...I didn't pay attention because I grew out of video games around the same time I grew out of cartoons. But I'm going to guess that actual player names are all over that thread..."Dude! Martinez is killing it for my husker team!" They aren't a big reason the game is successful. They are the ONLY reason.

If someone goes out in public and has their picture taken haven't they given up their right to get money for it?

Hell no. You think someone can take your picture at the mall and then put your picture on a billboard and say that "Hey...combatTargeteer shops at Oakview mall...so should you!" No way. There's a line...that would be crossing it. Can you be among 90,000 at an NU game and NU sells a poster of a full stadium...of course. It's not depicting you...you aren't the reason that poster sells and you aren't endorsing it.

Last edited:
How so? If likeness in a video game warrants compensation, then any likeness in any video game warrants compensation...or are we narrow mindedly just talking about college football...wow...its a VIDEO GAME!!!!!

Is you likeness a key component in the success of a WWII video game? The answer is no.

Which player in the game is named Gerry gdowski?

If you want to support litigation from former student athletes seeking compensation for something they didn't participate in, then feel free...as a physician, I'm constantly hoping that people like that don't come into my practice, especially if its their avatar thats hurt...

If you want to support litigation from former student athletes seeking compensation for something they didn't participate in, then feel free...as a physician, I'm constantly hoping that people like that don't come into my practice, especially if its their avatar thats hurt...

They participated unwillingly.

Then pay them. ESPECIALLY if that was a vital component of the game. Did people buy the game because of the Iwo Jima flag scene? Doubtful. The ONLY reason the EA sports games are as wildly popular as they are is because you ARE Taylor Martinez carrying the ball or J'Daveon Clowny crushing the QB. I believe there was a looooooong thread on one of these boards with guys talking about the game or some season they put together...whatever...I didn't pay attention because I grew out of video games around the same time I grew out of cartoons. But I'm going to guess that actual player names are all over that thread..."Dude! Martinez is killing it for my husker team!" They aren't a big reason the game is successful. They are the ONLY reason.

Is Sam Keller, or his virtual name, the reason my son bought this years game? No. Point is, the game is purchased for a thousand more reasons than player likeness. Its an expectation that players and their skills during a given season are accurately reflected for game play purposes...has nothing to do with involvement...it'd not real. Its a game. Its fantasy. Sam Keller is not in the game. He was a student athlete...ea did the best they could or knew how to create a realistic virtual experience. Player attributes are subjective...society has gone overboard in this instance...

Is Sam Keller, or his virtual name, the reason my son bought this years game? No. Point is, the game is purchased for a thousand more reasons than player likeness. Its an expectation that players and their skills during a given season are accurately reflected for game play purposes...has nothing to do with involvement...it'd not real. Its a game. Its fantasy. Sam Keller is not in the game. He was a student athlete...ea did the best they could or knew how to create a realistic virtual experience. Player attributes are subjective...society has gone overboard in this instance...

Do you know what a Class Action lawsuit is?

And you say there are a thousand more reason other than player likeness as to why people buy it. You are 100% wrong. What makes the game so "cool" is the very fact that the players ARE the "real" players. Everyone knows the #3 from NU is Taylor Martinez. If it was around in the mid 90's everyone knew #15 was Tommie frazier. People didn't buy it for any ONE player. They buy it because it's ALL of the players.

No, just the one's where it's obvious that the likeness is meant to be a specific person and that specific person enhances the marketability of the game. In the case of Keller, the 2005 EA game had the "same height, weight, skin tone, hair color, hairstyle, handedness, home state, statistics, play style (pocket passer), visor preference, facial features, and school year as Keller."

I promise you that if EA Sports made a snowboarder game featuring a rider with the same height, weight, skin tone, hair color, hairstyle, footedness, home state, riding style (big air), hat preference, and facial features as Shaun White, they would get sued stat.

Having real players in the EA NCAA football game or Shaun White in a snowboarder game enhances the value of the game. Even if you could satisfy a court that a real soldier's likeness was being used, how does that enhance the marketability of the game?

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back