• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked EA Sports Cancels NCAA Football Video Game Series

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curious. Who do you think is greedier? The NCAA, Delaney and EA? Or the players...none of whom would ever get "rich" off of the deal.

This is what's hilarious. Most of the board is getting all lathered up over these "greedy" athletes who just need to shut up and play so everyone else can make millions. Let's see what happens if the NCAA made a rule that league commissioners were "Executive Student Athletes" and mandated that guys like Delaney could only be paid the equivalent of tuition, room and board.

Sam Keller's likeness nor ed O'Bannon's EVER factored into ANYONE'S decision to purchase that game..he didn't contribute anything but a poor qb rating for a few years...he deserves nothing...can't wait for aliens to descend with a lawsuit...ridiculous.

This is what's hilarious. Most of the board is getting all lathered up over these "greedy" athletes who just need to shut up and play so everyone else can make millions. Let's see what happens if the NCAA made a rule that league commissioners were "Executive Student Athletes" and mandated that guys like Delaney could only be paid the equivalent of tuition, room and board.

Jim Delany took his full ride sports scholarship from North Carolina basketball.... earned a JD with that financial help and went into a career and made money after college like the rest of us... HE EARNED IT

Last edited:
Sam Keller's likeness nor ed O'Bannon's EVER factored into ANYONE'S decision to purchase that game..he didn't contribute anything but a poor qb rating for a few years...he deserves nothing...can't wait for aliens to descend with a lawsuit...ridiculous.

It ABSOLUTELY 100% made the game. Not just those two individuals but ALL the players. That's why it's a CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT. You do understand that right?

Jim Dalany took his full ride sports scholarship from North Carolina basketball.... earned a JD with that financial help and went into a career and made money after college like the rest of us... HE EARNED IT

But Sam Keller worked hard too. I mean, they used his jersey number, height, weight, and skin color in a video game!

Seems to me their "deal" is "I will play football and you pay for my education". I think when an outside party like EA comes in and makes 100's of millions of dollars off of them...maybe even Billions?...that that might not necessarily be part of the deal.

Obviously the fact that EA is using their likeness is a HUGE part of the reason the game was successful...otherwise EA would just continue doing a college game (maybe they will but it won't be NEARLY as profitable). The fact that the gamer guys are all up in arms about this proves that it was the fact that their likenesses were used was what made it such a "cool" game...because they won't be nearly as geeked up about a regular "college football" video game.

There comes a point where you draw the line. I think that line is when everyone BUT the players are making billions off of their blood sweat and tears...especially since the NCAA makes it about impossible for these guys to make a little extra cash without being entirely up their arses about it.

Nail on the head.

Jim Dalany took his full ride sports scholarship from North Carolina basketball.... earned a JD with that financial help and went into a career and made money after college like the rest of us... HE EARNED IT

And these players earned their scholarship. That doesn't mean you should just be able to use them in any way that will make Jim Delaney another dollar.

But Sam Keller worked hard too. I mean, they used his jersey number, height, weight, and skin color in a video game!

DING DING DING!!

Don't forget about his home state too... ;) we would not want to dismiss the likeliness of a douchebag QB coming from the great state of Cali..

Last edited:
How about the mascots in the game? The guy who wears the Herbie Husker suit...shouldn't he get paid too? Or Bevo? Their likeness is in the game...or how about the computer generated virtual high school player whose from the school listed in recruiting who's skills are close to his...he contributed just as much as Keller...so absurd.

Don't visit the Cafe so I'm not going to comment on that part...

While I'm on the side of Keller/O'Bannon and the other players who are involved in this lawsuit, I am sad that the NCAA football video game franchise is gone. I've enjoyed playing these games since the 1990s. I think that's the reason for the "hate." It's ironic that video gamers demand for increased realism in video games is what's caused all of this mess. Back in the 1990s the video game characters wore the same colors as schools but didn't even come close to being like the real players.

I am hopeful that once the dust settles between the players and the NCAA that there will be some way for EA Sports or another developer/publisher in the video game industry to bring this series back to life. Like I posted before, EA Sports has publicly said they'd be willing to set aside a pot of money to compensate players for the use of their likeness in the video game. The NCAA won't let them do that. If a court forces the NCAA to compensate players for the use of their likeness in anything (DVDs, apparel, etc.) then there's no reason that a video game developer can't work with the NCAA to figure out a way to compensate players for the use of their likeness in a video game.

IMO the series will be back, it just may not happen until around 2020 after this issue gets settled (probably by the Supreme Court.)

My understanding is that most of the big names in college football would also be willing to share royalties on other licensed merchandise (eg, apparel) but the NCAA also would not allow it. This NCAA has had plenty of opportunities to get out in front of this issue without upsetting the apple cart too much.

You already brought it up in the other "amateurism" thread, and I totally agree. The endgame is going to be the moneyed programs peeling off into a new division with a new governing entity.

Does Johnny Manziel get the same payout as Joe Dahl (O-Lineman from Washington State)? I wonder which one sold more copies with their likeness.

Jim Delany took his full ride sports scholarship from North Carolina basketball.... earned a JD with that financial help and went into a career and made money after college like the rest of us... HE EARNED IT

You honestly don't think Tommie Frazier HAS EARNED some of the money that comes from DVD sales, #15 jersey sales and the endless replay of the championship games on ESPN Classic, BTN, Root et al?

You honestly don't think Tommie Frazier HAS EARNED some of the money that comes from DVD sales, #15 jersey sales and the endless replay of the championship games on ESPN Classic, BTN, Root et al?

How do you quantify such a thing? The #15 jersey isn't that hard, but DVD sales and game replays? I mean come on. Are we going to have to start negotiating royalty contracts with players when they sign their letter of intent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back