• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

7-0 and then 0-5?

Looking at the schedule, it's entirely possible we're 7-0 heading into the Ohio State game.

In the non-con schedule, it really is just Colorado. I have to assume UTEP and UNI are virtually guaranteed wins, barring some act of God. But I think 2024 begins to further expose Deion's roster management strategy. Portaling in a fresh roster of players every year just seems like a poor long-term strategy to me. There's definitely a ceiling, as you can probably "buy" your way into a 7-9 win team via NIL or whatever coach-fame that Deion carries with him. But there's no depth. No cohesion. I think a lot of the reason it bristles with Husker fans is we're used to over a century of doing the hard work, watching freshmen ride the pine until they're juniors, and seeing that next crop of "Nebraska System" guys get their shot each fall. In short, the Deion way is very anti-Husker, so in many respects it's a perfect fit for Colorado.

We open B1G play with the squishy middle. Illinois is one of the better coached teams under Bielema, but if DR15 can manage the offense like he did in the spring game, I think we sail to a 7-0 start. The Blackshirts figure to be dominant again in 2024, and we know that in 2023 all of our 1-score losses were games in which the Huskers failed to score even 20 points. We don't need Raiola to be Superman, we need him to be an effective ball distributor and game manager. I don't think that's too much to ask of his skillset, honestly, even as a freshman.

Then... the back half of the schedule.

A late-October trip to Columbus is a likely defeat. 95% chance Ohio State wins big. We do get a BYE just before Indiana, and while I'd never expect Rhule to get caught sleeping on an upcoming opponent, you can bet he'll use the extra week of practice to heal and potentially install some anti-Buckeye measures in the playbook. Still, I think we can chalk this one up as a loss.

UCLA and USC. I have NO idea what to expect here. I wouldn't be surprised with 2 wins, 2 losses, or a 1-1 split. On paper the Bruins seem to be the weaker team and it's a home game, but I'm not calling Husker victories for either game.

Finally, Wisconsin and Iowa. All bets are off. Rivalry games. The Hawkeyes could go 0-11 and still finish with a win over Nebraska. And because it's Iowa, it would be an ugly 7-9 dumpster fire game with zero passing TDs and about a hundred punts and sacks.

Basically, I see that Ohio State game as the turning point. We have a chance to build early confidence and score some solid wins... and then the back half of 2024 turns into a chain fight. In fact, the only games I'm really even comfortable predicting are UTEP (win), UNI (win) and Ohio State (loss).

So what do you think? Do we start 7-0 and then fall apart 0-5 in the end?

2024 ScheduleOpponent
08/31UTEP
09/07Colorado
09/14Northern Iowa
09/21Illinois
09/28@Purdue
10/05Rutgers
BYEBYE
10/19@Indiana
10/26@Ohio State
11/02UCLA
11/16@USC
11/23Wisconsin
11/29@Iowa
OK First too many words.

So I did not read the whole thing. However. As many know I talk a lot about the psychology of sports. So to follow up on the basic theme. IF we go 7-0 we will win at least 2 more. Probably not OSU as much as I would love it. So let's look at the last 4.

UCLA-New coach, playing us at home in November. I have always wanted a warm weather team to come to us in the late fall. Winds, cold our fans. I give us a pretty good shot at that one.

USC- this is tougher. We play them at their place. Lincoln is a good coach, last but not least. We have never beaten USC. So very unlikely.

Wisconsin- as close as we have gotten with no decent QB play. got to believe we have a much better shot here.

Iowegians- Ditto the wisconsin post. Only wild card here is the new O Coordinator.

I was discussing this the other day, I seriously have to temper expectations in my own head. I think 6-1 to start, don't really see where the 1 loss comes from. However, I think we get in a dogfight and drop one. We all know that even the best teams in Big10 get in dog fights with lesser opponents and find a way to win usually. We aren't quite to the best team category. Ohio State is another L, so 6-2 then, I think we drop to USC, and that is it. I think we have fire power to over come the remainder. Pessimistic view, we drop 4 or 5 because ball bounces the wrong way more than our fair share.

We had below mediocre qb play last yr, and nearly won 4 more games, right to the very end. We have significantly better qb play this yr. If the once in a decade injury catastrophe doesnt strike again.. well prob win 8, 9 if we can just break even on turnovers

We had below mediocre qb play last yr, and nearly won 4 more games, right to the very end. We have significantly better qb play this yr. If the once in a decade injury catastrophe doesnt strike again.. well prob win 8, 9 if we can just break even on turnovers
Agree. I would say our run game was in tatters for awhile as well as our receiver game.
Add in the leading the nation in turnovers thing, improvements on the way.

Tougher schedule will complicate this season. Overall if we can clean up turnovers and establish a consistent run game it could prove to interesting! If the offense improves to the level of our defense we could win 8 games. We were never could get over the hump in close games, turn that around and we are back on track!

But I think 2024 begins to further expose Deion's roster management strategy. Portaling in a fresh roster of players every year just seems like a poor long-term strategy to me. There's definitely a ceiling, as you can probably "buy" your way into a 7-9 win team via NIL or whatever coach-fame that Deion carries with him. But there's no depth.
I'd guess 5-2 and 2-3 for a 7-5 finish. Lots of folks here are looking past CU just as they did last year. We may stumble in that game and then one other in the first 7. Other than OSU, everything on the back end of the schedule is hard to predict from both not knowing what those teams will look like this year as well as the injury situation later in the season for NU and their opponents. As a way too early prediction, I see Ls vs OSU and USC then 2-1 against the other 3.

I think Deion's roster (portal) strategy will be exposed as one that never builds depth to stand up to the rigors of a season as injuries pile up. However, they get NU in game 2 so the lack of depth won't be an issue for them yet. They'll be able to score points with their QB, Hunter, and the other receivers they picked up from the portal. Deion will have them playing with swagger again to open the season although they'll have all they can handle with NDSU in game one. If they play out of their heads like their opener last year, they'll come to Lincoln full of confidence. Not saying I'll be surprised if the Huskers win but our QB will likely only have his one start under his belt and theirs is quite experienced. And...I just need to see this team show they can win games that matter that are hyped up. CU will fizzle again as the season goes along.

Another year where 6-6 won't surprise me; neither would 9-3. Another 5-7 and I'll be both surprised and disgusted because this schedule is too easy and many position groups have been upgraded.

Another year where 6-6 won't surprise me; neither would 9-3. Another 5-7 and I'll be both surprised and disgusted because this schedule is too easy and many position groups have been upgraded.
Agreed. If we go 5-7 and don't go bowling again, it'd be considered an extreme disappointment no matter how anyone tries to paint it. No more excuses. S

Sure would be nice to make it to the conference title game, and that's not as far-fetched as some may think.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back