• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Zac Taylor message to Nebraska

Ok.

We disagree.

Wasn't that easy?
Relax, I was prepared to agree with you and your thoughts piqued my curiosity. The research took all of 5 minutes. It's an interesting exercise and if you still feel there were 3 wins out there, I would be curious to hear which ones you believe could have changed and why. I said I was open to the theory that our ineptitude changed our offensive philosophy.

Last edited:

Relax, I was prepared to agree with you and your thoughts piqued my curiosity. The research took all of 5 minutes. It's an interesting exercise and if you still feel there were 3 wins out there, I would be curious to hear which ones you believe could have changed and why. I said I was open to the theory that our ineptitude changed our offensive philosophy.

I'm perfectly relaxed.

The research you'd really have to do to determine how much games would have or could have been effected would take alot more than 5 minutes. You'd have to go through each game, possession by possession, and look at play calls, down and distance, etc. It's not as simple as '1-3 on field goals'. It would seriously take many, many hours to do correctly and I have to work tomorrow and likely wouldn't change your mind anyway. Bottom line is it wouldn't win any games in reality either.

We were 3-9 and I'm one of the people who thought we were closer to winning than not. Doesn't matter at this point and I'm not going to change anyone's mind.

In a few of those games they went for it on 4th down instead of kicking a field goal. Those would not show up on the Stat sheet. If a few kicks go our way and turn into a win does that help lead to more confidence and wins later? That could be debated. We are where we are and kicking has a part in it. Sucks but true.

In a few of those games they went for it on 4th down instead of kicking a field goal. Those would not show up on the Stat sheet. If a few kicks go our way and turn into a win does that help lead to more confidence and wins later? That could be debated. We are where we are and kicking has a part in it. Sucks but true.
A decent debate when talking about our woeful special teams.

I get your point but we had an all conference kicker last year. I don’t think you’re finding seven more wins. Hell our opponents had a worse time with field goals than we did in 2021.
Go thru the schedule since Frost has been here, the amount of plays ran because they had no kicker, the amount of sheer misses, the 4th downs and 8 at the 30. Go thru it, you’ll see. It’s really an eye opener. One dude. I keep saying it, but when you have 20% confidence in your kicker, it alters the way you play. So so many close losses, where a kicker would have made a massive difference. Just a kicker. Now, factor in that kicker, then add a difference maker or two, a solid defense, and you have a West front runner.

I'm pretty sure if we had mentally the same Culp from 2020 as our place kicker in 2021, Nebraska is in a bowl game.
Yeah, they beat OU, MSU, Illinois, Michigan and possibly Iowa. Add 5 to the win column, subtract 5 from the loss column, that’s 8-4. Those games were all managed unlike what normal would be, with an eye to the future of said games, that they don’t have a kicker. A FG on that opening drive probably would have made a difference. I’d bet a dollar to a dozen, Frost holds his breath on XP’s, and that’s what the FG would have been. Just one small example.

Yeah, they beat OU, MSU, Illinois, Michigan and possibly Iowa. Add 5 to the win column, subtract 5 from the loss column, that’s 8-4. Those games were all managed unlike what normal would be, with an eye to the future of said games, that they don’t have a kicker. A FG on that opening drive probably would have made a difference. I’d bet a dollar to a dozen, Frost holds his breath on XP’s, and that’s what the FG would have been. Just one small example.(QUOTE]

We didn’t miss a field goal against Michigan State or Illinois. We were three for three in those two games. We were one for three against Oklahoma but I sure as hell don’t think we win that game or the kicker but who knows. We didn’t attempt any field goals against Michigan or Iowa. Could have dictated our playcalling. There’s just no way we get to 8-4.

Yeah, they beat OU, MSU, Illinois, Michigan and possibly Iowa. Add 5 to the win column, subtract 5 from the loss column, that’s 8-4. Those games were all managed unlike what normal would be, with an eye to the future of said games, that they don’t have a kicker. A FG on that opening drive probably would have made a difference. I’d bet a dollar to a dozen, Frost holds his breath on XP’s, and that’s what the FG would have been. Just one small example.

I’m not sure I’m ready to slide all five of those over into the win column, but it would be enough for a bowl game at least.

Also you’re right on the extra points. How that’s become calculus is beyond me.

HN, no they didn’t miss field goals. The point is, they often altered to try to not have to ever kick a FG. That’s the problem. They beat OU with a kicker, probably 2-4 others as well.

It's not just kicks made versus attempted.

When a kicker has the yips, you're less likely to even try beyond a certain range and it changes your play calling once you cross the 50. Drives that ended on downs or punts could have been FG's.

Think about what a difference it would make if you knew you'd be 90% inside of 45 yards.
Look at the confidence instilled across the whole team of the Bengals, knowing that they got THAT GUY warming up in the practice net. It permeates everything, just like Aaron Donald impacts the confidence of the offense despite not playing a down with them.

I agree that's why I prefaced it by saying our play calling could have changed because of our ineptitude. But there is also that thing referred to as the Butterfly Effect. No telling how our opponent responds had we been better. As much as I want to agree I can't find three more wins. Without looking my gut told me Michigan State but we were 2-2 that game. Minnesota and Purdue were 2-3 combined in those games. We didn't attempt field goals against Wisconsin, Iowa, or Michigan-was that lack of confidence, I can't remember and would have it made a difference. The only two terrible efforts were Ohio State and Oklahoma and personally I don't believe we win either game even if we made all of them.
We saw a team this year wait the entire season for the other shoe to drop. What's gonna go wrong next? When a team has the best kicker in the league, it bolsters everything else. Its dependability, like hitting a light switch and getting light.
Missed field goals demoralize, continued misses lead to questioning, and turning completely away from kicking FGs in concern they'll schtoink is dragging a dumbell on a sprint.
Its Frost's responsibility to get kickers, teach them, and right them should they fall. Didn't happen. But I also don't fault Frost for thinking he had that spot well in hand.
We can't know the impact of a pointless kicking game. But for a team that needed positives to get things rolling, it darned sure had some beyond simple subtraction of points lost to kicks missed.

We saw a team this year wait the entire season for the other shoe to drop. What's gonna go wrong next? When a team has the best kicker in the league, it bolsters everything else. Its dependability, like hitting a light switch and getting light.
Missed field goals demoralize, continued misses lead to questioning, and turning completely away from kicking FGs in concern they'll schtoink is dragging a dumbell on a sprint.
Its Frost's responsibility to get kickers, teach them, and right them should they fall. Didn't happen. But I also don't fault Frost for thinking he had that spot well in hand.
We can't know the impact of a pointless kicking game. But for a team that needed positives to get things rolling, it darned sure had some beyond simple subtraction of points lost to kicks missed.
l don't take issue with what you are saying but can't see three more wins there. There were plenty of reasons for 3-9 with the kicking game being one of those reasons. Unfortunately, even when we had that All Conference kicker, we were a 3-5 team and this year found creative ways to lose games that didn't involve field goals. Would a reliable kicker have helped the team, of course it would, I'm just not sure it impacts the season as much as others believe? I can buy 1-2 games but not 3 or even 5 as one poster suggested. It's just my opinion and there is obviously no way to prove either way.

Making those decisions call for better coaching

You got me curious, so I looked. No way we get to 32-12 as Warzone predicted and I think 22-22 is a real stretch as well, but lets look at our losses in 2021.

Illinois-Connor Culp was 1-1 on field goals. Still a loss.
Oklahoma-Connor Culp was 1-3 on field goals. Does anyone think we are beating OU if he makes them? I'd say still a loss.
Michigan State-Connor Culp was 2-2 on field goals. Still a loss
Michigan-No field goals attempted that I can see. Still a loss
Minnesota-Connor Culp was 1-2 on field goals. Still a loss
Ohio State-Connor Culp was 1-3 on field goals. Make them and we are still behind in the end. Still a loss.
Purdue-Chase Contreraz was 1-1 in field goals. Still a loss.
Iowa-No field goals attempted that I can see. Still a loss
Wisconsin-No field goals attempted. Still a loss.

I was ready to agree with you but after doing the research changed my mind. Granted our play calling can be debated to have changed because of our ineptitude but make them and who knows how the opponent responds. It's also been pointed out that as bad as we were, our opponents were worse. Funny thing was our worst effort was a 0-3 day by Culp against Buffalo. The next two worst were identical 1-3 days against Oklahoma and Ohio State and I don't think we are winning either of those games if we had went 3-3 kicking it through the uprights. I can't find 3 more wins there.
I’m talking over 4 years. 2019 was a disaster all by itself. And, IMO, NU does beat Oklahoma with a kicker. Lost by 7. Had an extra point blocked and returned for 2, and missed two FG’s. Also, what I think you might not be considering is, how it altered what the coaches did, what plays, planning, and getting in situations where you have to go for it instead of attempting a 40 yard FG.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back