• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Wynden Ho'ohuli enters the transfer portal.

I'm at the point where I'm just not going to be very concerned about the guys who portal out. The transfer portal is here to stay and guys moving around will be the norm. Our coaches just need to learn how to utilize the portal to fill holes in the roster, to make sure the portal is also being used as an influx of talent and not just outflow.

Damn, these kids just don’t give themselves a chance. One year is too early to leave. Almost like everyone is afraid of some competition. Any big school will have mucho competition. Disappointing.
I look at it .. are they truly getting the competition they desire. As we have seen with the lack of development of players… they may be leaving to get the competition they desire

Adam Carriker has mentioned a number of times lately that he's starting to focus more on portal signees than freshman recruits. I think he's onto something.

It's not that you stop recruiting. But how many 5-star-everything kids have shown up to campus and completely flopped? And not just at Nebraska, but everywhere. We've all seen a 3-star or No-star kid hit the weight room and suddenly they crack a 2-deep. The problem with freshman recruits is that they ALL look like superstars because they're playing against high school competition.

Getting those portal and juco kids means we've seen how they perform in college. Maybe not always at a P5/FBS tier like Nebraska, but obviously we've just picked up a pile of kids from Texas, LSU, FSU, A&M and Okie State. You can tell a lot by how a kid suits up for a college team. Did they come to practices on time? Did they eat 57 lbs of cake during the offseason? Do they learn playbooks quickly? Those are the intangibles that usually surpass raw talent, and we get to see a lot more of that from portal/juco kids than high school players.

Also, they may have a chip on their shoulder. Current rules make it easy to transfer - once - but it gets harder to go full free agent after that first transfer. A kid who got passed over is likely trying to make their best bet on which school they can earn a starting job at, and where they can prove their old team wrong, Joe Burrow style.

I'm excited about what the portal can bring, honestly. It gives a team a LOT faster opportunity to build out a roster than taking 3-4 full recruiting cycles. This is a good thing for Frost, especially, as he needs some quick traction to save his rump.

I look at it .. are they truly getting the competition they desire. As we have seen with the lack of development of players… they may be leaving to get the competition they desire

There hasn't been lack of development on the defensive side of the ball, especially at his position. That's just not what's going on here.

He had competition and didn't earn playing time because the ILB's in front of him were better.

Good luck to the young man and I wish him well.

There hasn't been lack of development on the defensive side of the ball, especially at his position. That's just not what's going on here.

He had competition and didn't earn playing time because the ILB's in front of him were better.

Good luck to the young man and I wish him well.
I don’t know, NU seems to get high talent and for some reason they can’t break into the line up. Other teams get same high talent and they seem to find a ways to utilize that talent.

I don’t know, NU seems to get high talent and for some reason they can’t break into the line up. Other teams get same high talent and they seem to find a ways to utilize that talent.

It's hard to do much with the #5 or #6 ILB in any defense. Reimers and Heinrich played some pretty good football and you had Kolarevic and Snodgrass coming off the bench. Mauga-Clements is maybe #5 and Ho'ouhli couldn't get on the field because he wasn't beating out those in front of him. He wasn't swift enough or big enough to move outside and doesn't have the skillset to play the Nickel like Domann. I hate losing the kid, but you can't play everyone and he didn't win his spot.

I don’t know man, I wouldn’t think so, but you never know. If they can dominate the competition here, I’d hope they’d be on the field. If they do dominate, and aren’t on the field, well that’s entirely a different matter.

I'm at the point where I'm just not going to be very concerned about the guys who portal out. The transfer portal is here to stay and guys moving around will be the norm. Our coaches just need to learn how to utilize the portal to fill holes in the roster, to make sure the portal is also being used as an influx of talent and not just outflow.

Agreed. Instead of fighting the portal, adapt to use it to our advantage. I think we really are exemplifying that in this off-season.

I don’t know man, I wouldn’t think so, but you never know. If they can dominate the competition here, I’d hope they’d be on the field. If they do dominate, and aren’t on the field, well that’s entirely a different matter.
I hear yeah

You can’t have it both ways. You say transfers coming in couldn’t make it here and are quitters. Now you are saying this guy didn’t have the competition that he wanted here. Which is it?

You can’t have it both ways. You say transfers coming in couldn’t make it here and are quitters. Now you are saying this guy didn’t have the competition that he wanted here. Which is it?
I can have it anyway I like. I’m sure it’s different for each athlete

Sounds like two different issues to me

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back