• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

WR Xavier Watts Commits To Notre Dame

So ... what I hear you saying is "I'm not Catholic."

Fwiw, I'm not Catholic, but I've had this strange habit/history of having dating (and eventually marrying) a Catholic. I can't tell you how many times and in how many different Catholic churches all over I have heard some priest work some reference to Notre Dame into the service. This was especially brought home to me in college as I was dating a Catholic girl while rooming with the guy who wished that Rudy could have been his life story; of course, he was Catholic, too.

Just out of curiosity, could I get a shout-out from and Catholic Husker fans who have regularly heard priests/nuns/monks pumping Notre Dame football? Maybe it's just my experience, but my wife was from New Jersey, I grew up in South Dakota, one sister-in-law is from the Twin Cities, and another was living in Arizona, and all four locations were rife with Catholic clergy pumping Notre Dame sunshine.

You haven't met many Jesuits then . I really don't run across many Notre Dame fan priests. Our Parish priest played baseball in college so he's definitely into sports, but he's never once mentioned who his team is.

Fwiw, I'm not Catholic, but I've had this strange habit/history of having dating (and eventually marrying) a Catholic. I can't tell you how many times and in how many different Catholic churches all over I have heard some priest work some reference to Notre Dame into the service. This was especially brought home to me in college as I was dating a Catholic girl while rooming with the guy who wished that Rudy could have been his life story; of course, he was Catholic, too.

Just out of curiosity, could I get a shout-out from and Catholic Husker fans who have regularly heard priests/nuns/monks pumping Notre Dame football? Maybe it's just my experience, but my wife was from New Jersey, I grew up in South Dakota, one sister-in-law is from the Twin Cities, and another was living in Arizona, and all four locations were rife with Catholic clergy pumping Notre Dame sunshine.

My ex's family was Catholic and there was a mixture of Nebraska and Notre Dame fans among them. They were from Northeast Nebraska with no connection to Notre Dame at all. When I asked any of them why they cheered for Notre Dame it was some version of "well, they are the premier Catholic University". I knew kids in high school who had the same justification for there fandom, so I know it is definitely a thing for some folks. I haven't met many Husker fans who say "well, I decided to cheer for them because I like corn". ;)

My ex's family was Catholic and there was a mixture of Nebraska and Notre Dame fans among them. They were from Northeast Nebraska with no connection to Notre Dame at all. When I asked any of them why they cheered for Notre Dame it was some version of "well, they are the premier Catholic University". I knew kids in high school who had the same justification for there fandom, so I know it is definitely a thing for some folks. I haven't met many Husker fans who say "well, I decided to cheer for them because I like corn". ;)
My favorite comment about NE Nebraska Catholics: “They are more catholic than the Pope”.

As a Catholic. ND does not hold the same allure for Catholics. (beyond the elite Catholics.) Most conservative Catholics would never consider sending their kids to ND. I know many priests and deacons that believe that ND should be stripped of their Catholic credentials Wrong forum for the politics as to why. In the end there are not a lot of priests pushing kids to the Irish anymore.

As a Catholic. ND does not hold the same allure for Catholics. (beyond the elite Catholics.) Most conservative Catholics would never consider sending their kids to ND. I know many priests and deacons that believe that ND should be stripped of their Catholic credentials Wrong forum for the politics as to why. In the end there are not a lot of priests pushing kids to the Irish anymore.
That's interesting information. I have to say I haven't seen the obsession with ND recently like I did in my high school years in the 90's. Not sure what has changed but Omaha used to have a huge ND following.

That's interesting information. I have to say I haven't seen the obsession with ND recently like I did in my high school years in the 90's. Not sure what has changed but Omaha used to have a huge ND following.

They are still pulling in great recruiting classes every year. They are a national brand, no matter how much we hate them, and their alumni base is so strong that anyone interested in a life after football would be a fool to not consider them.

They are still pulling in great recruiting classes every year. They are a national brand, no matter how much we hate them, and their alumni base is so strong that anyone interested in a life after football would be a fool to not consider them.
My statement was only that the old ND that would get all the priests around the country to point catholic school kids towards ND is no longer happening. Also Catholic parents looking to get their kids a good "Catholic" education are not just looking at ND. There are plenty of other schools that offer quality Catholic education that are much cheaper. (Not talking athletics here) but Catholic U in DC, Franciscan in Stubenville OH, and Ave Mariah in FL.

My statement was only that the old ND that would get all the priests around the country to point catholic school kids towards ND is no longer happening. Also Catholic parents looking to get their kids a good "Catholic" education are not just looking at ND. There are plenty of other schools that offer quality Catholic education that are much cheaper. (Not talking athletics here) but Catholic U in DC, Franciscan in Stubenville OH, and Ave Mariah in FL.

Regardless, ND still has a huge national pull.

Took me into the 4th quarter of the TX/ND tilt that I watched in 15/16. I dislike Texas more, but it made me think.

For most of my life, Notre Dame has always been in another lane that's close to ours but doesn't cross. All through the Osborne years I kept wanting/hoping/praying that we'd end up playing them in a bowl game because it almost always seemed that they were overrated. If we had beat Colorado in '89, we would have played them in the Orange Bowl for the NC. If they hadn't lost to Boston College in '93 we would have played them in the Orange Bowl instead of Florida State for the NC. In the '87 season they turned down more money in the Fiesta Bowl to play us to instead go get waxed by a so-so Texas A&M team in the Cotton Bowl. Going into our last game of the '78 season it looked like we would either play Penn State in the Orange Bowl for the NC, or possibly N.D. if they beat USC, and Penn State went to the Sugar Bowl to play Alabama. We lost to Missouri, but still had a shot at drawing Notre Dame, but they lost to USC, so we got Oklahoma ... again.

Notre Dame is a team that I want to always be good enough to be in the top ten, but I don't want them to be in the CFP unless they're playing us.

JMPO, college football is just better when certain teams are perennial top 25 or better. Nebraska is one of those teams... and so is Notre Dame.
I agree. They are name brands. There are three in the B1G, 2-3 in the SEC 2 in the Big12 and 1 in the PAC. Really none in the ACC that I would put in that category although Clemson is probably the closest.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back