• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Would you be open to tearing down Memorial Stadium?

Would you be open to tearing down Memorial Stadium?

• NEVER!

Votes: 28 34.1%
  • Yes - if the price was right

Votes: 54 65.9%

• Total voters

Nightman Cometh

Recruit
5 Year Member
If it were cheaper to build a new stadium than to renovate the old one…

When we hired Frost I created a post asking about getting rid of some of Nebraska’s sacred cows. Among them, I listed the sellout streak, the red balloons, the black shirts, and a couple of other things. My thinking was that Frost had the cache to shed traditions without causing an uproar from the fanbase. That post was not well received. But that was then, this is now. Red balloons are gone, the sellout streak is a fraud and Herbie has been rehabilitated from his nationalist ideology. The world has changed.

This is hypothetical but I’m wondering what the appetite would be for a full teardown of Memorial Stadium if the price was right and there was a compelling case for it…how much resistance would that be met with?

I am okay with tearing it down but I don’t see how the price could ever be right.
Conditions: The replacement is on campus (or adjacent). The replacement build would not disrupt campus life. Taxpayers don’t fund the $2B likely cost. If you have to build it where the current one is, the loss of income from having no realistic home field for 2 years does not screw up funding all other University programs including the other teams.
In short, can’t see how to do it. Re doing the current stadium in 4-6 parts over 10-15 years, which I think was Trev’s idea, is a difficult but more doable idea.

Last edited:
I am okay with tearing it down but I don’t see how the price could ever be right.
Conditions: The replacement is on campus (or adjacent). The replacement build would not disrupt campus life. Taxpayers don’t fund the $2B likely cost. If you have to build it where the current one is, the loss of income from having no realistic home field for 2 years does not screw up funding all other University programs including the other teams.
In short, can’t see how to do it. Re doing the current stadium in 4-6 parts over 10-15 years, which I think was Trev’s idea, is a difficult but more doable idea.
Logistically you just build it next to Memorial Stadium like they did with Yankee Stadium. But I think you're right about the cost. New stadiums are a couple of billion minimum. But like I said. Hypothetically.

I have no real emotional connection to the current stadium. However, I really see nothing wrong with it in its current state.

I come to the games to watch football. I could care less that I have to pass 3 womens bathrooms to get to the nearest piss-trough. I dont care about wi-fi. I dont care about jazzy scoreboards. If my personal space is violated, its because of my own and the folks around me fat azzes. I understand that I am in the minority on all this though, and that's ok.

Last edited:
I say if it cost 450 million for upgrades tear it down. The 100 year old concourses to the upper levels are not wide and very outdated. Build a 75k seat Husker Dome. It would be the premier stadium in the B1G and a recruiting magnet. It could be a playoff and/or NCAA BB venue. People will balk at cost. However, we have no pro teams and Husker Football is cental to this state. Pay for it with combination of private donations and some of taxes i.e. sales, tourism, car rental. Here is my AI rendition

Attachments

• 20240328_201032.jpg
    20240328_201032.jpg
    283.3 KB · Views: 265

I posted over on Huskerboard (or maybe it was here, not gonna check) that I'd like to see them do the south. Then in 5-10 years tear out the old lower bowl on east and west stadiums as well as the balconies. This would be done in different years of course. Then rebuild the risers closer to the field and a bit higher up so the views aren't so obstructed for the people in the lower rows. It also gets rid of the god awful obstructed views under the balconies. It allows you to put proper row width in and comfortable chairbacks. The only existing part of the old stadium would be the old facades that are now inside the stadium, and the columns.

I just feel like too much money has been poured in over the last 25 years it's hard to justify tearing it down. They should have done that around the time they did the north. Or at least have done the north like they are talking about doing to the south.

Last edited:
I loved Rosenblatt stadium; Schwab Field is monotonous. I would love to see a new stadium with modern facilities and an early 20th century architecture. Cost prohibitive, though.

I say if it cost 450 million for upgrades tear it down. The 100 year old concourses to the upper levels are not wide and very outdated. Build a 75k seat Husker Dome. It would be the premier stadium in the B1G and a recruiting magnet. It could be a playoff and/or NCAA BB venue. People will balk at cost. However, we have no pro teams and Husker Football is cental to this state. Pay for it with combination of private donations and some of taxes i.e. sales, tourism, car rental. Here is my AI rendition

A dome could be interesting.

While I generally feel like B1G-style football should be played in the snow, a dome would allow UNL to rent it out for concerts, monster truck rallies, etc.

There's way more you can accomplish with a roof.

GET TICKETS

Back