• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Would you be open to tearing down Memorial Stadium?

Would you be open to tearing down Memorial Stadium?

• NEVER!

Votes: 28 34.1%
  • Yes - if the price was right

Votes: 54 65.9%

• Total voters
What are issues building a new stadium where Devaney Center is? Volleyball...what else?

Last edited:

Problem is you just built a 150 million dollar Go Big project there. They could have done the stadium, then tore down old memorial and put all the practice stuff there.

As Crab said, there is no easy fix. It's going to cause pain regardless of whatever a happens. Whether that be ticketholders in south stadium, no games in Lincoln for 2-3 years, or having a new stadium with a less than ideal location/ You can't move the stadium off campus and you want to keep it close to downtown.
I agree, and I wish they would have built a new stadium instead of the Go Big. It could have all been incorporated into one state of the art facility.

If you are going to spend $0.5B to renovate ... you are already 25%+ towards the cost of a new stadium. Sell naming rights (yes, that in and of itself will create controversy) ... that gives you something. You have to dome the thing (at least retractable) ... and you can get not only concerts etc. but maybe you get to hold a conference championship game or two?

At some point in time the economics dictate that "new" is more cost-efficient than "fix". The logistics can be figured out ... it does need to be on campus. I think doming it is a necessity.

What are issues building a new stadium where Devaney Center is? Volleyball...what else?
It is a floodplain area. You would have to mitigate floodplain fill, like they did for Haymarket Park and Pinnacle Bank Arena. Yes, Devaney is there today, but stadium would be bigger. Not sure it would fit well in that space. We'd have to relocate volleyball, indoor track and field, wrestling...

I'd prefer a new indoor stadium with bucket seats but I just don't see them scrapping memorial after all the rennovations they have already done.
At the very least, they need to develop a long term financial plan to build a new future-state-of-the-art stadium within 20 years. Plan for the future instead of adding more lipstick to a dying pig.

Dome? Good god please no. No conference title game is coming here, no way it will be on a teams home campus. Also, not sure how many concerts Lincoln would get that couldn't be held at PBA.

Dome? Good god please no. No conference title game is coming here, no way it will be on a teams home campus. Also, not sure how many concerts Lincoln would get that couldn't be held at PBA.
Maybe partial roof like Aviva Stadium and new Ryan Field. (protect attendees)

Football .....

"Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds" (mailman oath)
300px-Dublin_aviva_stadium.jpg

I assume the people saying yeah sure tear it down are young-uns that have never witnessed good football. I’ve been going to games since the mid 60’s. Emotional attachment: I would say a resounding YES I’ve seen 5 national Championship teams play in that stadium. I’ve seen many MANY fantastic games in my time on the 50 yard line. A multitude of great great memories. Memories are sacred for me. There is ENOUGH commercialization of college football. And that’s all this would be. They’ve invested in the things that MATTER to the football team. And THATS what matters to me. If the team is winning ….. people will sit in dirt on a corn field to watch them play. This all is a bunch of rich elites wanting to sit in air conditioned suites with catered food. Just my opinion

Last edited:
Yeah, I’d be open to it, but I only have a short-handle sledge hammer and a few power tools. You could probably still play the next four or five seasons in it before you even noticed what I was attempting to do. Better to hire a demolition company.

I say if it cost 450 million for upgrades tear it down. The 100 year old concourses to the upper levels are not wide and very outdated. Build a 75k seat Husker Dome. It would be the premier stadium in the B1G and a recruiting magnet. It could be a playoff and/or NCAA BB venue. People will balk at cost. However, we have no pro teams and Husker Football is cental to this state. Pay for it with combination of private donations and some of taxes i.e. sales, tourism, car rental. Here is my AI rendition
So quick question - do you live in Georgia? I have a reason for this question. @GeorgiaRed

I assume the people saying yeah sure tear it down are young-uns that have never witnessed good football. I’ve been going to games since the mid 60’s. Emotional attachment: I would say a resounding YES I’ve seen 5 national Championship teams play in that stadium. I’ve seen many MANY fantastic games in my time on the 50 yard line. A multitude of great great memories. Memories are sacred for me. There is ENOUGH commercialization of college football. And that’s all this would be. They’ve invested in the things that MATTER to the football team. And THATS what matters to me. If the team is winning ….. people will sit in dirt on a corn field to watch them play. This all is a bunch of rich elites wanting to sit in air conditioned suites with catered food. Just my opinion

I’m definitely not a ‘Young Un’, and I understand your opinion. I was there for a long time. At a certain point other things overtake memories. Practicality. Financial responsibility. Safety. A facilities useful lifetime. I can separate the football memories from the actual building. The University the campus as a whole is where the history stays.

At a certain point we have to let go of things that we’re fond of for non emotional reasons. Everyone reaches that point at a different pace, and that’s fine. It’s that way with pretty much everything.

GET TICKETS

Back