• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Would a half-empty Memorial Stadium help Nebraska?

How about completely empty? Fan-less in Memorial stadium. Worst case, no games at all. Only remedy, virtual EA games for the entire 2020 schedule. Need to buy PlayStation gadget ... how much does it cost?

Positive side if cancelled for 2020 season, Huskers will be undefeated (joined by 127 FBS schools). And tied 1st place standing in B1G west divison

I’ve been thinking about the possibility of games being played in front of a skeleton crowd in Lincoln. Let’s face it, we still have an awesome environment but we no longer intimidate teams as we did in the glory days. In fact, I think our crowds might actually be raising the intensity of the visiting teams. I’ve read and seen interviews with opposing players who rate Memorial Stadium as one of the best stadiums they’ve played in.

Maybe if we had a crowd that more resembled Illinois or Indiana, opposing teams wouldn’t be as jacked up and we might sneak out a few more wins? I know we all love (may be obsessed with) the Huskers and want to do all we can to support them, I’m just looking for the silver lining of a Covid-19 induced end to the sellout streak.

I think the stands will be used to put the players. They cannot congregate on the sidelines.

I see really very little reason to play if people can't attend the game. An empty stadium or just partially filled stadium, we might just as well be Vanderbilt. To be honest though, I'd still watch it if it was broadcast live, tape delayed or even the day after. I hope we get to play the full schedule, with fans in the seats and every body just calms down and allows things to get back to normal.
This part of your post is exactly why I think they would play a season without fans, because the TV revenue is such a big deal. The ADepartments and Univ. miss out on a ton of revenue, but the TV revenue is much bigger. I don't have the figures but maybe exponentially bigger? IDK. It probably would be extremely weird for the teams and obviously much less interesting to watch on TV, but people would still watch.

I think maximum capacity observing social distancing would be around 20,000 fans. Easy enough to choose season ticket holders by lottery. Then assign specific arrival times for seat holders to limit the rush just before game time. If you don't arrive at the scheduled time, you don't get in at all. No lingering or loitering, straight to seats wearing a mask. No concessions sold in the stadium but fans can bring their own. Easy peasy.

I think maximum capacity observing social distancing would be around 20,000 fans. Easy enough to choose season ticket holders by lottery. Then assign specific arrival times for seat holders to limit the rush just before game time. If you don't arrive at the scheduled time, you don't get in at all. No lingering or loitering, straight to seats wearing a mask. No concessions sold in the stadium but fans can bring their own. Easy peasy.
Honestly if your scenario is the case, why even bother? I can't imagine going to an sporting event, being told I have to be at the gate at exactly this time, I can only go straight to my seat, must wear a mask, no concessions and sit there for 3 hours. Who would bother doing that? Either open up fully, or just play to an empty stadium and stream the game or broadcast it live/tape delayed.

Honestly if your scenario is the case, why even bother? I can't imagine going to an sporting event, being told I have to be at the gate at exactly this time, I can only go straight to my seat, must wear a mask, no concessions and sit there for 3 hours. Who would bother doing that? Either open up fully, or just play to an empty stadium and stream the game or broadcast it live/tape delayed.
20,000 Nebraska fans would do it in a heartbeat...

20,000 Nebraska fans would do it in a heartbeat...
I know. It would just be hard to sit there for that long, with no food, snacks, drinks whatever, seeing the stadium at less than a 1/4 full and be able to really get into the game. It's all just surreal, I don't even know what to think about it anymore.

Although 2018 numbers, the following article provides insight on how much is made from TV revenue/BIG 10 sharing ($47.9 mil), ticket sales ($37.2 mil) and endorsements ($25.8 mil). While TV revenue is big, ticket sales is not that far behind and a reason why Nebraska always operates in the black.

As it relates to the original question, safety is the key and in my opinion, a good portion of the season ticket holders are those most at risk of COVID-19 (over 60) I don't see how you could guarantee safety even with a good portion of the stadium empty. Another consideration is "break even" attendance to even out the cost of putting the game on. Not sure what that is, but if we assume its 1/3 of the stadium is it worth the risk?

This part of your post is exactly why I think they would play a season without fans, because the TV revenue is such a big deal. The ADepartments and Univ. miss out on a ton of revenue, but the TV revenue is much bigger. I don't have the figures but maybe exponentially bigger? IDK. It probably would be extremely weird for the teams and obviously much less interesting to watch on TV, but people would still watch.
This^

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back